Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-07-2009, 11:47   #46

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
Wow!

I can't be the only one thinking it... Should have given it away to someone willing to save it back in Feb while it was still nice and salvageable, instead of letting it deteriorate first.

Good luck FeralCement. Sorry I am too far away to help.

I hope someone takes a lot of photos and updates us here at CF.

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
http://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 11:56   #47

Fitness balls are very puncture resistant and the big 34 inch diameter ones are around $30 each. Drop 1K and get a bunch. They can be inflated by hand pump.

Also, don't overlook stuffing fenders in the boat. Everyone with a boat should have a bunch so they will add up fast. Stuff the fenders in all the small spaces and then lock them in by inflating the fitness balls in the cabin.

The more water you displace the less you need to pump.

You might also look for cheap rubber (4 square) children's balls. Remember on mythbusters they floated a boat with ping pong balls. The 4 square balls are nylon reinforced and very strong. Probably better than the fitness balls.

Old 24-07-2009, 12:08   #48

Does anyone know how strong weather balloons are?

16ft diameter are only $80

Could fill the boat with about 5 of these and they would mold nicely to the interior.

I just don't know about the wall thickness of the balloon or strength. Perhaps if they were used inside of a liner, such as a cloth bag.

Also, if you only fill a 16ft diameter to 8ft it would be stronger.

Old 24-07-2009, 12:14   #49

16" Voit Playground Balls for $11.99

For volume these might be cheaper than the fitness balls and probably stronger.

eSportsonline - sporting goods, outdoor recreation, and games

Old 24-07-2009, 13:49   #50

Boat: Tartan 34C
More Floatation, Scotty!

Everyone --

I went ahead and rented a pump since it did not appear that any volunteers were about to, well, volunteer. We have 7 oil drums to tie on the low side to try and roll her upright. A couple of small boats and a half dozen guys with a good attitude.

I need more floatation stuff - inner tubes, air mattresses, water beds, water jugs, 5 gallon pails (with tops), big jugs (not THAT kind, bozo), exercise balls, and whatever else you can think of. And some HEAVY ropes/lines/hawsers. And more boat-type people.

See you Saturday.

John
Old 24-07-2009, 14:14   #51

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Good luck with the dirty girl John.
If I was closer I would be there to help.
Keep us posted. This was a sad story from the beginning.

I will say a prayer for your success.

Paul
Old 24-07-2009, 14:42   #52

Strapping to the outside doesn't sound like a good plan.

You need to fill the boat "inside" to displace water. If you get even 50 percent of the interior filled with air balloons/bags the boat will float. Remember, "Float" means off the bottom. Doesn't mean high in the water with freeboard. Even floating just below the surface is good enough to tow her to the travel lift.

I fail to see the big push to stand the boat upright. If you get it to float, move it to deeper water and see that sailboats are self righting.

1. Just get as much dead weight (mud) out of the boat as you can.
2. Fill the cabins with balloons/bags/fenders/mattresses/etc.
3. As the tide comes in it will float. You will need to rock and roll it to break the mud suction.
4. As soon as it is floating even a little, tow it to deeper water so it can self right. The keel will drag when you tow it.
5. As soon as the deck openings are out of the water, start pumping water out to get her floating by the bottom rather than by the balloons/bags.

Old 24-07-2009, 15:08   #53

Ouch, Baby

Joey, all --

Those are some sobering, and disappointing, views of the boat. It has obviously deteriorated from when the last set of photos were taken, both in condition and situation. And I'm not talking about mud stains, either.

If the rig is damaged, we're talking about more expense. It looks like the port jib winch has grown legs. But MOST of all, it's 2/3 under at low tide. I don't have faith that we can float her AT ALL unless someone shows up with a some serious floatation bags.

At this point, I see this vessel as more of a liability than an asset, even as a starting point for a down-and-dirty fixer upper. I may still try to help the owner, but I doubt I'm going to want the boat even if we DO get her out. Executive decision time....

Joey - PM me?

John
Old 24-07-2009, 15:16   #54

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
At this point, I see this vessel as more of a liability than an asset, even as a starting point for a down-and-dirty fixer upper.
It sounds like you are giving up on her. I can not blame you.
Old 24-07-2009, 16:01   #55

Not Ready For This

Some new photos (today) by a local guy show the boat in much worse condition and much farther in the water, so I'm not the right guy for this job. Too bad for everyone, but ya gotta know when to fold 'em. I called the owner and he's pondering his options.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

John

BTW, I'm still looking for a big, cheap boat......
Old 24-07-2009, 16:25   #56

I agree that this boat should have been given to someone who would remove her from the creek and restore her months ago.. now we have a hulking piece of trash and lead in a creek that kids "tube" and waterski in on the weekend.

Nothing against Mark, but we're seeing more and more of these boat carcasses in our waters, and something has to be done to stop it.

I'm pleased I could help save you the trip John..

Joey
Old 26-07-2009, 05:23   #57

How hard would it be to get the mast off it in the meantime? I mean I would think at this point Mark could get out there and cut the mast off just to remove some of the hazard. We used to kneeboard in that creek all the time.
These rotting boats are a big problem in SC and it casts a bad light on those who moor there boats and maintain them. Every boat can break free at some point. It happens but they can't just be left to rot. Mark is a friendly guy. I hope he figures out a way to get rid of it. There must be a half dozen rotting boats on that little island just towards the harbor from California Dreaming right next to the anchorage.
Old 26-07-2009, 07:07   #58

No cut, no cut!

Mark and I are still talking about rising DS next weekend. If the rig gets cut off before then, I will not be raising THAT boat - it's one of the few items of value left with her.

That certainly does not minimize the problem of abandoned boats around Charleston. A beached fiberglass boat can last a l-o-n-g time.

John
Old 26-07-2009, 08:37   #59

sailcharleston, we are working hard to get some of these boats out of the water..

Check out the abandoned boats tab on
Charleston Waterkeeper
Old 26-07-2009, 09:48   #60

Boat: P39Hull#72"Schadenfreude"
LEAD, FOLLOW, or GIT(&STAY) Out OF the WAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresthebrakes View Post
sailcharleston, we are working hard to get some of these boats out of the water..

Check out the abandoned boats tab on
Charleston Waterkeeper
Sorry, but I disagree. (Rant ALERT!)
While the "waterkeepers.org" sure has a nice read, it doesn't help much to attempt INTIMIDATION/Extortion of folks in a bad way in a downturned economy.

I'm Glad Mark & John are still talking, I hope something fruitful comes of it, I KNOW Mark getting slapped w/$25k(or more) in JUDGMENTS won't help a thing, & the crane barge companies need work too...just like all the rest of us.

IF the "waterkeepers" were constructive, they'd already KNOW how to track down the owners (who're surely most local) call or go SEE them, and form a "task force" of volunteers/co-operating marinas/salvors in conjunction w/the vessel OWNERS to save EveryOne Money, and actually GET SOMETHING DONE. It took the C-ton "waterkeeper" probably DAYS to put together that "linked" google map w/so little info I don't know SQUAT AFTER looking at it, while a mask, snorkle & fins (& pen/paper) would be priceless w/more info. Documented vessels can be traced to the current owner in 10 seconds. DNR/DOR/Tax Collectors Offices/State Registration agencies can get You the name/address of Titled vessels almost as quickly. Once You have an established relationship w/these gov.org agencies...the info flows MUCH FASTER.

Getting the JOB DONE vs. pointing an accusing finger is (to me) like the difference between NIGHT & DAY. You accomplish NOTHING by slinging more mud on the wall.

Sounds like he has a "hardon" for some FLOATING Vessels as well, just because they don't meet his "standards" for "pretty".

How come the local LE/DNR/Waterway police aren't chasing down these owners (since that's PART of their JOB DESCRIPTION & WE as Tax Payers Write their Checks)?
Well?
Joey?
Whining is 1 thing, DOING is another
(from a Nature Coast Conservancy active member who's been DOING something on the w.coast of FL. re:this specific issue, for years).

Sorry for taking this thread completely OT (off topic) although it was already bending this direction anyway. It ticks me off when folks spend huge amounts of time WHINING vs. doing. No, You Don'T "cut 'em up" w/o PERMISSION, however talking to the owner, getting that permission (& possible FUNDING vs. fines) then DOING carries far more weight. The true derelict vessels, w/a legitimate relationship supported by the DNR dealt w/can make for a win/win/win. Pulling Your pud on the www does zip.

Here's hoping that S/V DS doesn't get cut up, is raised & restored, & that the owner doesn't suffer $25k in state sanctions when DNR finally does get around to doing their JOB.

(Folks, fyi...crap like this doesn't happen on Most portions of our coastline here [excluding immediately after catastrophic storms] as folks just know better...the cops don't play and the costs go up exponentially, DAILY for lack of due diligence. IF you're working Your butt off trying to "git er up"...ok; not so much & they WILL BE KNOCKING ON YOUR DOOR).

Sorry for the rant (no I'm not);
-Mick

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: