Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2017, 11:25   #16

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36
Re: Saloon tables that double as berths?

My Magellan 36 has such a setup. 2" SS post in sections. Drops to cleats. The back rest cushions fit table top. Great for the extra guest
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 12:03   #17

Boat: Taswell 43

FWIW....our Taswell 43 has a similar arrangement. The (folding) saloon table is supported on a center post with a jack-screw system+handle. The table height can be adjusted from sleeping level to a very high dining table....or anything in between. While it is very nice to be able to easily adjust the height of the table, in 20 years of sailing this boat, we've used the sleeping feature----once!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 13:22   #18

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

C&C 33 Mk II had a fixed table with storage in its center and leaves that dropped down against the table, but a panel under the stbd settee folded up and over toward the centreline with a metal leg support. The "back" cushion filled the gap and made it a small double (more kid-friendly IIRC), at least keeping the passage on the other side of the table free. The port settee made a somewhat narrow single.

Indeed, in rough anchorages the midship berth was the best; the fwd cabin berth would drop out from under you far too much like a roller coaster for sleeping.

Our SO 45.2 has the "deluxe" 4-drawer pedestal table from the 52 (so I'm told) which does not drop, but apparently the "standard" table on two posts does drop down to fit against the settee making a double. I've had smaller guests sleep on the single settee when both aft cabins were in use, but never needed a double there.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 20:00   #19

Boat: Viking Sportfish, 40'

My experience is similar as others. On a 28' Bayliner I had a couple of shorter table posts made up that put the table height exactly at the same level as the rest of the L-bench. A couple of cushions flopped on top stayed put by tucking them in with the sheet covering all the cushions. Very spacious double berth.
handcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 20:38   #20

Re: Saloon tables that double as births?

Quote:
Originally Posted by libspero View Post
Yep, that's a suitably embarrassing gaff now engrained forever in the sands of internet.

I'm going to blame autocorrect..
Gaff - definition of gaff by The Free Dictionary
Gaff - definition of gaff by The Free Dictionary

gaff 1. gaff 1 (găf) n. 1. A large iron hook attached to a pole or handle and used to land large fish. 2. Nautical A spar attached to a mast and used to extend the ...
Gaffe | Gaffe Definition by Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gaffe

Define gaffe: a mistake made in a social situation — gaffe in a sentence
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 00:35   #21

Many thanks for the replies..

Admittedly this is a much bigger boat than I think I would ever be looking at.. but just picking a random Jeanneau (since they are topical at the moment), this is the sort of thing I was talking about:

It looked like a waste not to be able to create a large berth.. but then as others have said, it sounds like many who have them don't use them so perhaps that's why.
libspero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 00:49   #22

Thanks for all the replies.

I did try to post an example of what I meant but that post seems to have vanished magically into the ether.

The conclusion I will draw is that on smaller boats this is a common feature, on larger ones probably neither needed nor desirable. Interesting to hear people's own experience of them though.
libspero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 01:08   #23

This is my version of a saloon table for my Morgan 31. The drawing is a little "ruff" but the cabinet maker was satisfied. It folds up against the saloon partition and strapped into position once folded. It's still under construction but I could post a photo once completed
Jack Hattingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 01:37   #24

Re: Saloon tables that double as births?

Quote:
Sorry, I could not resist. Glad you have taken it in good spirit.

With regard to your question, the table in my Swanson 42 is very firmly fixed to the compression post. There are enough berths on board that I have felt no need to fiddle with that arrangement. I have sailed on smaller boats where the combined table/berth arrangement has been very useful. In my experience it is important to have the table in lowered position supported around the edge, not just by the telescoping support in the middle, if you get my meaning.

lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 02:18   #25

Very common but other than a rare short time visitor a real pain.

Usually the seat backs are designed to fit the table shape, so no need for extra cushions.

The problem is the dinnet is typically the heart of life in the boat cabin so no one can get up until the dinnet sleepers get up.

More common on smaller boats. Once you get to large multiple cabin boats, people expect to sleep in a cabin.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 03:08   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

StarGazer has exactly what you describe in a typically Dutch, simple but multifunctional solution, that is overbuilt
Click image for larger version

Name:	1492423201818.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	145531

A stainless center pole has a heavy duty collar clamp underneath that allows the teak table with steel underframe to slide up to the ceiling and pivot out of the way, if you are reorganizing the sub floor storage underneath or in maintenance mode.

Table also fits perfectly in between cushions and filler cushion makes a queen size bed when side cushions are removed.

Hidden curtain gives the couple privacy and pole dancing is an optional activity, we heartily encourage!. [emoji1]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 16:39   #27

Boat: 1986 Catalina 34'

I own a 1986 Catalina 34'. It has a hydrolic tube that holds up the table up. You just turn the knob an push down on the table top and tighten the nob when down. It works awesome and is easy to operate. To raise table I just loosen the knob and the table goes up. The cushion stores on a shelf at the peak of the V birth. You might be able to buy the post from Catalina!

Al s/v St. Thomas
ahumbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 06:30   #28

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
It appears to me that regardless the size of boat, saloon tables are formed almost perfectly to fit the "foot well" of the seating area that surrounds them.. so much so that it looks like you could just drop the table down and the combination of seat and table would make a great spare double berth (with the addition of some table shape foam).

Looking at pictures of various boats this ability to "drop down" the table doesn't seem to be common (or at least not immediately apparent). Is this actually a common feature and I just haven't spotted it, or is there a good reason why this isn't done?

With the saloon usually being in the very centre of the boat it strikes you as the perfect place to add an additional sleeping area. Any thoughts?
Many newer boats are/were offered with the option of a lowering saloon table. An option, because the telescoping supports cost quite a deal more than the standard fixed tubes (and if you want electric lowering, that is something else!)
Whether this is used as a berth or not, the other advantage is to turn the area into a sort of lounge zone where a couple can curl up together to watch a DVD, or listen to music or whatever (doing so bolt upright side by side just doesn't do it for many - including us).
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 22:00   #29

Definitely recommend it! Here are two photos: dinette and lounge mode.

Part of our refit was having a sweet, comfortable entertainment set up (we even have a subwoofer on board - movie night or parties can vibrate the mast, Lol).

A new table was made (also to allow it to spin to act as a cocktail table for both settees) and all new cushions (including a new cushion for the table). A hydraulic assisted pedestal helps lowering and raising the table (not cheap but worth it).
Throw down a non slip mat on the table and it's a sweet couch w/ottoman or berth (double even, had two 6'+ heavy people share it).

It's great for movie night. We can squeeze four people on the lounge and one gets the cushy pilot berth above and a 32" led is mounted on an arm in the stbd pilot berth. Better than any land dwelling set up if ya ask me.

Name:   1493095956501.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  7.9 KB
Click image for larger version

Name:	1493095965757.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	146219
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:21   #30

Boat: Sabre 36 K/C

My Sabre 36 has a table that lower to rest a double.
Just add the 2 cushions.
womansailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saloon