Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2012, 06:56   #31

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35
Check out Brian Neale, has's got some great island chillin songs. He plays at Myetts, Cane Garden Bay, Tortola.

Lives in Toronto in the off season.
Old 15-08-2012, 09:44   #32

Boat: Heritage East 40
Tropical
Thanks !
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 09:42   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Sailing Tunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Heron View Post
Tropical
Thanks !
Toads type of music was such a refreshing and long needed change from the old "lets get drunk and fight ","cheat on your partner" and "my life sucks cause Im on drugs" kind of music... the song "walk on the ocean" has a part that really told a message about how people behave when visiting(or after we leave) other countrys" We said we would send letters and all of those little things,they knew we were lying,but smiled just the same,half an hour later seems they had already forgotten we came"..After hearing it I made an effort to never tell someone in an other country that I would do this or that if I realisticly could not do it...I was bad about telling all these people i would meet in these far off places that i would never forget them and that I would send letters and all of those little things..Lets all walk on the ocean ,step on the stones,because flesh will become water and wood will become bone...Im getten soft in my old age!...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 10:11   #34

Rod Stewart covered "Sailing." The original, far, far better, is done by Robin Trower:

And Trower's "Sail On" is arguably the best song about sailing, ever... the drum sounds like waves beating, rhythmic lapping against the hulls, it's such a kewl song...

Please forgive the weird video, it's all about the music, anyway...
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 10:19   #35

Fair amount of nautical references in "Southern Cross" by Crosby Stills and Nash
AirMedMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 10:48   #36

Boat: OEM, proportional

Something very old, majestic and for a very few; these beautiful songs won't make the hitparades this time around:

Psalms from the Genevan Psalter, and the Scottish Psalter.

Some very nice renditions of Goudimel's settings of the Genevan on Youtube....Ernst Stolz and some of his mates playing period instruments. They also play a lot of other Renaissance music, plenty of it on Youtube for those partial to it. They're up to Psalm 32 as of mid-August 2012, and seem to be adding one every couple of weeks or so:

Genevan Psalter - Psalms / Psalmen - YouTube

Matthias Jorissen's renderings of the psalms in German matches the Genevan tunes, and the Scottish Psalter 1650 is a standalone translation from Hebrew and has them set to metred tunes which means the melodies can be changed around between various psalms as long as the metre fits. The tone progressions known as church modes are mostly very different sounding to the "modern" major/minor scales.....we have lost a great deal of what we once had, in our rush for "progress". There is nothing new under the sun...it's all been done somewhere, sometime, by someone. There is something to the legends of Atlantis, and the present world is striving to the same heights but will fail even more ignominouly and in a spectacularly different way.

A slightly nautical story I read once about how international the psalms were, once: A Dutch warship captured a Spanish galley in the Mediterranean sometime in the mid-17th Century....the galley slaves were being ferried to the rescuers ship and some among them were singing psalms in Hungarian, to the Genevan tunes...the Dutch ship's company recognised the melodies and were greatly pleased to have saved some fellow Christians from that awful fate.

Anyway, some seriously deep music to feed the soul with wonder and joy, and give voice to every expression of the heart. Song of Solomon is lovely too, but that's an ocean on its own.
Old 16-08-2012, 11:48   #37

Boat: TBD

Who is old enough to remember this boating classic:

hblask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 13:19   #38

"I'm Your Captain" - Grand Funk Railroad
AirMedMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 14:40   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Thank God no ones mentioned Buffet. I think there's a sailing group getting a petition passed around ready to make it illegal to play JB anywhere near any anchorage.
Jimmy Buffet slowly I turned step by step, foot by foot inch by inch...
Yacht Rock Episode 11 - YouTube
Old 16-08-2012, 18:43   #40

Boat: Beneteau 41
Living on the edge by Aerosmith and life in technicolor are on my list. Kenny Chesney works too.

"I've been told a successful marriage is a polite compromise."
CapRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 18:58   #41

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

For the broken hearted sailor:

Toby Keith - South Of You Lyrics [Toby Keith's New 2011 Single] - YouTube
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 19:37   #42

Boat: none...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie
Thank God no ones mentioned Buffet. I think there's a sailing group getting a petition passed around ready to make it illegal to play JB anywhere near any anchorage.
Really. Buffett is god. Enough said. If I could trade places with anyone in the world it would be jb. I listen to mainly alternative and reggae but jjimmy is the probably the epitome of sailing.
vegasandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 19:39   #43

Boat: none...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasandre

Really. Buffett is god. Enough said. If I could trade places with anyone in the world it would be jb. I listen to mainly alternative and reggae but jjimmy is the probably the epitome of sailing.
Oh yeah. And the most fun concert you will ever see. Ever. Parrot heads rule.
vegasandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 19:59   #44

Wow, I have such an array of things I like. Let's see.. I've got rolling Stones, Adele, CCR, Enya, Gotye, Lady Antebellum, Blue Oyster Cult, Katy Perry...you name it! I love music of all styles.
Suzybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 20:26   #45

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'

Sorry, have to do it, can't help it. Jimmy is only the sidekick. Zac Brown Band.

But if Jimmy-esque music gives you hives, here's another old classic that always takes me away.

kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing