Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 11:51   #16

Tides & Currents in Nobeltec VNS is my primary source of such information too. It has a very nice feature of automatically displaying data from tide and current stations near your present position.

But then again it is not freeware.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 20:46   #17

If you need a hand during any of your trip let me know. Looking for some experience in the San Juans. Thanks!
mcfarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 21:32   #18

Boat: Schock 35
Get both Waggoners and the Canadian Current charts. The Canadian charts show all the back eddys and counter currents for any time of day. San Juans are complicated enough that this will be a big help. Waggoners offers great advice for crossing Straits of Juan de Fuca and Rosario, and of course, what to do when you get there.
Tom Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 15:23   #19

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34
Thanks Tom. I purchased Waggoners and I will get a copy of the Canadian Current
charts when I get to Anacortes West Marine. Right now I'm stuck in Ohio. I leave for Oak Harbor on March 12th. Mcfarland, I've got you down. Don't know for sure exactly when I'll go but will be somewhere between April 1 and May 15. Got some things to do before I set out for the San Juans. Will also be sailing in the Saratoga passage and Port townsend areas.
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 15:32   #20

Boat: Samson 41 The Rock
Tbrad, you will also want to pick up the Gunkholing the San Juan's book. It gives allot more detail and history of the San Juan's.
Coldwaterdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 15:38   #21

I live in the Oak Harbor marina, however I'll be moving to Sky line marina in Anacortes in march. I have sailed in the area for the last 8 years and have good local knowledge. Let me know when you get here I'd be more than happy to fill you in on our challenging sailing conditions.
Old 14-02-2011, 15:52   #22

This rescue happen last Monday in deception pass. They are new to sailing and the area. They were in 30 knot + winds and tried to go against the current. It loooks like they lost their out board which sent them adrift.
Old 14-02-2011, 15:55   #23

Oh I forgot the current regularly is in the 6 to 8 knot range and can on some occasions be around 9. Hull speed for a Buccaneer? 6?
Old 14-02-2011, 16:10   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldwaterdiver View Post
Oh I forgot the current regularly is in the 6 to 8 knot range and can on some occasions be around 9. Hull speed for a Buccaneer? 6?
In many PNW passes, the current is accompanied by whirlpools, overfalls and other nasties.

I am teaching tides and currents tonight in a CYA Coastal Nav class.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 16:21   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
In many PNW passes, the current is accompanied by whirlpools, overfalls and other nasties.

I am teaching tides and currents tonight in a CYA Coastal Nav class.
That is correct jackdale, I have seen whirl pools 4 feet deep by 14 feet wide in the pass. It is very impressive.
Old 14-02-2011, 16:24   #26

I'm sure they had quite a ride the wind was blowing out of the west straight up the pass against the current.
Old 14-02-2011, 19:50   #27

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
Wind against the current is what I watch out for most here. Probably the same everywhere. Places in the islands to watch out for strong currents are numerous, but the most notable are Peavine Pass, Pt. Lawrance, west end of Patos Is., Pole Pass, Cattle Pass, Pt. Colville, south end of Cypress Is, east side of Blakely. We pulled out of the marina here at Blakely and were immediately in 8' very steep waves in Peavine Pass because of a stiff wind against a strong ebb.
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 22:19   #28

Yes I've had my share of fun with the wind against the current here too. Last June I was caught in 70+ winds against the current in Saratoga Passage. A 40' boat sailing in the same area lost it's mast that day. The faces of the waves we were climbing were 10+ at the mouth of Penn Cove. The weather forecast was for 35knots gusting 40 at 55 knots sustained gusting 60 we realized that the forecast was so far off it was any ones guess what the wind would really end up being. My boat is a 40' pilothouse cutter rigged sloop. She did very well through it all.
Old 15-02-2011, 06:40   #29

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldwaterdiver View Post
Yes I've had my share of fun with the wind against the current here too. Last June I was caught in 70+ winds against the current in Saratoga Passage. A 40' boat sailing in the same area lost it's mast that day. The faces of the waves we were climbing were 10+ at the mouth of Penn Cove. The weather forecast was for 35knots gusting 40 at 55 knots sustained gusting 60 we realized that the forecast was so far off it was any ones guess what the wind would really end up being. My boat is a 40' pilothouse cutter rigged sloop. She did very well through it all.
I'll get in touch when I get to Oak Harbor. My boat is on D dock. From my limited experience this past year there's only one time I'd try the Pass and that is at slack tide. A n ebb with a West wind is just asking for it in a sailboat. Will appreciate any and all info that I can glean from your experience. The coffee's on me!
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 11:50   #30

pirate

Tbrad, I'm on C dock until March 1st then I will be at Skyline marina. I do still work on the base so I will be in the area when you get here.

Tags
sailing