Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2016, 14:44   #1
jwr
Marine Service Provider

Sailing ICW in pocket cruiser.

OK... husband has got a 22 foot westerly to go down the ICE when he retires.. ever though we have a 44 foot csy... we decided to get a trailable sailboat around a 22-26 so we would not be boat poor....... I am trying to get him pumped up for his retirement adventure so do you have any advise. I will go but not as long as he wants too.... Because we have a son that is mentally disabled I will be driving back and forth to be with him...... so do I have any ICW sailors out there................. I would to hear from some of you guys out there with your retirement journey
jwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 19:17   #2

Boat: 1976 32' Downeaster
Re: Sailing ICW in pocket cruiser.

We are anchored out on the ICW as I type this. It's our first trip down, we left Jacksonville and are headed to Miami. We are right outside Melbourne right now.
Every day has been a beautiful adventure. Dolphins galore, manatees, interesting birds, beautiful sunrises and sunsets.
Also I find the trip to be very, very easy, not a lot of experience is required since it's really just motoring.
Just stay in the channel and use common sense. Lots of fun, and we are enjoying our experience.
I hope you and your husband get to get out and have this great adventure too, it's fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lilbabypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 20:14   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I would like to make the same trip someday. Sounds like a good adventure without arduous offshore work.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 20:27   #4
jwr
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbabypenguin View Post
We are anchored out on the ICW as I type this. It's our first trip down, we left Jacksonville and are headed to Miami. We are right outside Melbourne right now.
Every day has been a beautiful adventure. Dolphins galore, manatees, interesting birds, beautiful sunrises and sunsets.
Also I find the trip to be very, very easy, not a lot of experience is required since it's really just motoring.
Just stay in the channel and use common sense. Lots of fun, and we are enjoying our experience.
I hope you and your husband get to get out and have this great adventure too, it's fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
What are your plans?
Old 29-04-2016, 20:33   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

22 feet is boat camping IMHO. OK for a weekend or even an occasional week so long as you have fair weather... Probably not full standing headroom nor enclosed head. Not so fun if you get 24+ hours of cold rain. Cabin fever.

Is he really planning on retiring to that? Most people think comfort is important as they get older.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 21:00   #6
jwr
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
22 feet is boat camping IMHO. OK for a weekend or even an occasional week so long as you have fair weather... Probably not full standing headroom nor enclosed head. Not so fun if you get 24+ hours of cold rain. Cabin fever.

Is he really planning on retiring to that? Most people think comfort is important as they get older.
6 foot headroom, Inclosed head, 8 foot beam, shower , kitchen table , stove small galley, sleeps 4 it is called westerly cirrus made in England .... Will post photos
Old 30-04-2016, 07:10   #7

Boat: Island Packet 31

I traveled from Solomon Island MD to Norfolk, then the ICW to Tampa, FL via Lake Okeechobee, great trip...I was in an Island Packet 26. Just kept an eye on the weather in the sounds around NC. Go for it, many take this trip yearly!!!
MikePz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 07:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post

Yup. comfort all important. But her question is confusing. Sounds like she wants to send him down the "river" so to speak.Was it his or her idea? It's going to be hot, humid, rainy and smelly ride for him if he does it later than May or earlier than November. A friend did it in a WWPotter and swore never to do that again. Between the leg cramps, mosquitos and boat wakes, was not pleasant for him and he was 68 when he did it. Young guy.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 07:57   #9

Boat: Cape Dory 33

It sounds to me like you have the perfect boat for doing the loop. The mast should be easily taken up and down so you can have it down for the canals and the 19' fixed bridge in Chicago, but have the ability to sail everywhere that it is possible. Shallow draft on the loop is your friend, yet you will be following the weather so will also be in the best place for the season, including safe in the rivers during hurricane season. And, if you live anywhere in the eastern United States getting home to your son will be do-able.
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 08:06   #10

Most of it gets repetitive very quickly, so comfort becomes more important as the trip starts to become routine. Watch some tube videos and you will see that. The pocket cruiser is a good concept, and maybe your westerly has enough comfort, only you can judge that.
Classicsailboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 09:10   #11

Suggest you look in to the Great Loop and the AGLCA that is associated with it. My wife, like you, did not get excited by my love of the sea. That being said, she is the one that brought up the idea of our doing the loop (it uses the ICW, the canals and lock system, the Great Lakes and many of the rivers of the Heartland. You are never more than a long day away from land (unless, of course, you want to be). You have a marvelous support group with which to interact when needed or wanted, amazing things to see and do and wonderfully private anchorages available when that is a desire. Unless your child is so handicapped that he cannot, this is a wonderful, natural and safe learning environment for him to enjoy. The AGLCA has a online board with members sharing their experience and I mention it because of a recent post that shows how kind and helpful a community can be. A member considering doing the loop has a terminally ill daughter (cancer - I am even more deeply touched as I lost my youngest to "C" in 2000). At any rate this potential cruiser had concerns because of the possible difficulty getting required melds for her daughter along the way (mind you the patient is also desirous of making the journey before her imminent passing). The out pouring of offers of help from so many sources all along the route (everything from hosts at participating marinas - the AGLCA has hundreds of them - to former Loopers offering their dockage and postal use along the way. Needless to say, I was touched - just wish I had known in 2000,or earlier, what I know now. I certainly would have done this instead of a family cruise as her last request. Again, I am hoping your child is able and you may be able to find a new opportunity to expand his life. There is a lot of love and care out there. Don't be afraid or ashamed to use it. God bless you, whatever your choices.
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 09:15   #12

Boat: Sea Ray 270

You have a 44 footer but want to step down to a boat that is less than tenth the size? A 22 footer would be fine for a weekend, maybe a week, but any length of time after that and it will get very cramped. Even for one person IMO. In my experience you travel the ICW (east coast) with one of two goals in mind. Take your time and enjoy the trip or make the best time possible in a power boat getting where you want to go. There are many great places to anchor, places to visit, and sights to see. Some of the stretches you might want to go offshore for a short period to avoid the monotonous canals. Some you just have to put up with like the Alligator River canal in eastern NC if the weather is bad (offshore NC outer banks in an easterly is no fun). Go with the bigger boat and leave it at a marina if you have to stop the trip for a while.
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 14:49   #13

Boat: Pearson 34-II

If you can appreciate Spartan living aboard, there is nothing better. Some of the greatest experiences I've had on the water were in pocket cruisers-- both inshore and offshore. However, it's like foie gras. . . .it's not for everyone. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 30-04-2016, 15:03   #14

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I owned a Westerly Centaur (26) for years, which I often took on 2 -month cruises, including the Bahamas. I've been on a Pageant and have considered getting one of those for more Bahamas sailing. 22 feet is certainly on the small side, but most of the Westerly boats have huge interior space for the length compared to most boats. The twin keels have many benefits. At 6,000 lbs on it's own, and 10,000 with the trailer, my Centaur was a challenge to tow. I'm sure a 22-footer will be much easier. I known many of the Centaurs on the market represent a good value as well.

I think you just need to be honest with your husband about how much time you want to spend on the boat. Maybe you rent a car and drive home for a week or two without him on occasion. There's nothing wrong with that.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 16:11   #15

Boat: Nor'star Flicka 20'

I did the ICW three years ago in a 20' Flicka. Middle River MD to Rockport TX. 3900 miles. All the comforts one would hope for, 6'3" standing room. 3' 3" draft 3 ton ocean going pocket cruiser. Can' think of a better boat to fit your needs. Go to the Flicka 20 web site. The late Berel Ives owned one and stated that it lacked nothing that any of his previous 40+' sailboats offered.
Kevin
DolphinBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, icw, pocket cruiser, sail, sailing