Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2015, 11:51   #16

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'
Re: sailing from long beach to ensanada. any advice? how to live good. cheap? thank y

While catamarans are typically more costly to haul, I last did a bottom job in Long Beach @ Cabrillo Boat yard. I supplied the paint @ my Port Supply price of $139 a gallon. They sanded the bottom, primed, acid washed my Brueller props, painted 3 coats on the bottom with 4 on the waterline and rudders for $1,000 cash. 4 gallons of paint and 2 gallons thinner came to $700. Baja Navale wanted $3,000 for two on the bottom and three on the rudder and waterline. $200 from double the cost. Puerto los cabos $2,900 and Cabo san lucas $3,400. IMHO the benefits and accessibility to parts coupled with good negotiation skills, in the right season will make the US a better deal on many levels.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 14:05   #17

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: sailing from long beach to ensanada. any advice? how to live good. cheap? thank y

Quote:
Originally Posted by duefocena View Post
While catamarans are typically more costly to haul, I last did a bottom job in Long Beach @ Cabrillo Boat yard. I supplied the paint @ my Port Supply price of $139 a gallon. They sanded the bottom, primed, acid washed my Brueller props, painted 3 coats on the bottom with 4 on the waterline and rudders for $1,000 cash. 4 gallons of paint and 2 gallons thinner came to $700. Baja Navale wanted $3,000 for two on the bottom and three on the rudder and waterline. $200 from double the cost. Puerto los cabos $2,900 and Cabo san lucas $3,400...
I know of no boatyards that will do a bottom paint job using owner-supplied paint. And fewer that will haul, launch, prep and bottom paint a 42' cat for $1,000.

Now there are independents, who work out of some boatyards, that can likely undercut the yard prices.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 14:18   #18

Suggest you learn to sail and work your boat. Have met too many "mariners" who don't know how their boat works.

Ensenada, is a great place to clear into Mexico, you have a passport? It's expensive there. The locals there know the rules in California. Keep going South, it gets better.
dbaoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 15:00   #19

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
'Cept the OP is in Long Beach. Morro Bay is a bit northward of that.
Yeah saw that after I posted. For some reason thought the OP was in Bay area
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 23:33   #20

hello: great info!! okay buddy i already found marina coral's website and put in my pre-registration form! you know what?.....it's cheaper to stay there than it is in the marina im at in wilmington and im sure that marina is like living in a 'resort!'
thx again buddy!
i'll say hi to Fito for you! what's your name? first name and boat name probably be fine...
stephen
elskede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:41   #21

yeah: funny thing is im getting warnings to get more seatime. im norwegian. i got my first boat at 8. i sailed thousands and thousands and thousands of hrs commercially and on pleasure craft and been to and fro russia, seattle, ak, norway aboard boats..i kind of wonder how much more seatime these people want me to get..that being said; yes, be prepared but for christ sake at some point get off the computer and GO!
okay; im truly interested in la paz. i had a dentist friend that told me all about la paz 10 years ago. tell me about marina's and prices there if you dont mind. also: what bay or marina are you talking about anchoring in for $1/day?
thank you so much and i'll look you up when i get down there buddy.
stephen
s/v xanadu
Old 08-05-2015, 07:40   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Sailing from Long Beach to Ensanada. any advice? how to live good. cheap? thank y

Buy this Cruising Guide Book...
Blue Latitude Press - The most up-to-date and accurate Mexico Cruising Guides!

If you can't live like a King anchored for damn near Free in the La Paz Bay...then you might as well give it up, sell the boat and move into a Homeless shelter because there's no hope for you!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:48   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by elskede View Post
hello: great info!! okay buddy i already found marina coral's website and put in my pre-registration form! you know what?.....it's cheaper to stay there than it is in the marina im at in wilmington and im sure that marina is like living in a 'resort!'
thx again buddy!
i'll say hi to Fito for you! what's your name? first name and boat name probably be fine...
stephen
I'm not a fan of Marina Coral...its just too far away from town, taco carts and things to do. Cruise Port Marina is easy walking distance to town, and most importantly great eats! It has fabulous security and is cheaper than Marina Coral....but it isn't a "Resort" like marina Coral.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 22:57   #24

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
I know of no boatyards that will do a bottom paint job using owner-supplied paint. And fewer that will haul, launch, prep and bottom paint a 42' cat for $1,000.

Now there are independents, who work out of some boatyards, that can likely undercut the yard prices.
Yeah well Terra Nova there could be a number of reasons why you " know of no boatyards that will do a paint job with owner supplied paint", but I can share a number of them. Some may want to charge a couple hundred bucks to make up their profit but in my case I still would be ahead considering the number of gallons I use. As far as ," fewer that will haul, launch ,prep , and bottom paint a 42' cat for $1,000". I don't know how many 40' cats you've hauled but this is the third Ive owned and counting a decade driving charter cats I've hauled more than a dozen.times. Ill leave that your tone is to doubt my word publicly with the statement that I can prove what I say. I will share that I have my bottoms kept immaculately prepped prior to hauling. Oh and BTW, I have my work done by yard personnel , not independents , and I tip them very well, buy lunches/ beverages etc.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 18:46   #25

great. thank you. are you saying that even if i have US insurance i need MEXICO ins?
my mom go's to mexico every summer and adds a mexico rider because it's mandatory..is this what your saying? thank you.
Old 12-05-2015, 18:47   #26

tell me EXACTLY what marina your talking about please? thank you. stephen
Old 12-05-2015, 19:12   #27

Re: Sailing from Long Beach to Ensanada. any advice? how to live good. cheap? thank y

I didn't read everything above, but since I have had my boat in Ensenada many times over the past several years, I thought I would share some thoughts:
1. Coral is the nicest marina in Ensenada, but it is also the most expensive. Even so, it is cheaper than any southern Cal marina I know of. If you can afford to stay there for a few months while you get the lay of the land, it would be worthwhile, IMO.
2. I fill my tanks with Coral water and drink it with no problems.
3. In my experience, labor is no cheaper in Ensenada than southern cal.
4. Don't bring any guns or ammo into Mexico, and if you have any fishing equipment on board you and all non-Mexican crew must have a Mexican fishing license.
5. First thing when you get to Mexico, make friends with gringos to get good info about where to shop, etc.
Good luck,
Rick
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 20:50   #28

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by elskede View Post
yeah: funny thing is im getting warnings to get more seatime. im norwegian. i got my first boat at 8. i sailed thousands and thousands and thousands of hrs commercially and on pleasure craft and been to and fro russia, seattle, ak, norway aboard boats..i kind of wonder how much more seatime these people want me to get..that being said; yes, be prepared but for christ sake at some point get off the computer and GO!
okay; im truly interested in la paz. i had a dentist friend that told me all about la paz 10 years ago. tell me about marina's and prices there if you dont mind. also: what bay or marina are you talking about anchoring in for $1/day?
thank you so much and i'll look you up when i get down there buddy.
stephen
s/v xanadu
Elskede...I wouldn't worry about experience and sea time if your recent post is any indication of it. I was under the impression that you were a complete 'newbie' who had virtually no experience. Just go for it! You will find fair winds and following seas as far as you want to go south until you reach Manzanillo. Then the weather is a crap shoot... Watch the windows and you will be fine.
Ensenada is a great little town and marina coral is the top end as far as marinas are concerned. Also have a shuttle into town, about 2 kms.
I've spent many years delivering boats from Panama to Alaska and the Baja is one of my favorite spots on the west coast. Safe travels. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 22:27   #29

I'm assuming that your mom travels by car, but car or boat, you must have, yes, liability insurance from a Mexican company before you enter Mexico. It's not dreadfully expensive. Call and talk to the Vagamundos. They are very helpful. I don't have a penny invested in them, just had great advice from them. They can help you with fishing licenses, tourist card info, manifest forms, temporary import permits, the works. None of this is difficult, just a PITA.

Shopping wise, there is a Costco and a Walmart, as well as several good Mexican markets.Have a great time.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 03:44   #30

thx. good info. stephen

Tags
cheap, sail, sailing