Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 08:54   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO 49
Sailing Buddies

Hello,
I will be retiring from a long professional career in a few months. I recently purchased my third sail boat in the Caribbean (Beneteau 50) which is considerably bigger than my previous 35 and 28 ft. boats. Reasonably goods sailing knowledge acquired over the past 15 years but practical experience is limited to fresh water sailing during the short Canadian summers. No significant water sailing">blue water sailing to speak of. I have done all the sailing courses offered, and being a student for life, I have also read almost every book that should be read.
I will be sailing alone and realistically that is not something I think I should be doing with this boat given my experience (or lack thereof) and comfort level with this size boat. What would be the best way to find one or two sailing buddies who can sail for a few months at a time? Not asking for money nor offering crew pay. Major concern about posting under crew wanted is compatibility. Any recommendations, advice, or thoughts on your experience finding sailing buddies? Thanks
Budle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:37   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Sailing Buddies

A good start is posting here, welcome to the forum. I expect you should be able to get in contact with potentially compatible folks.
Old 06-12-2014, 15:09   #3

I sent you a PM.
CaptTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 15:11   #4
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

I got lucky and developed a very good friendship here at CF. My wife and I drove from Texas to Florida to meet up with him, and met his wife. We spent a week staying with them on their boat. A few months later, he asked if I wanted to crew for them from Florida to Panama. I jumped on it, and had a great time. I was lucky.

The thought of putting a total stranger on my boat isn't very appealing to me. You only have their word as to their experience. Maybe they sneak a little dope aboard.....and customs stops you for an inspection (and you get your boat impounded)? Ok, maybe a little drastic, but who knows. And you are right, "compatibility" is a big deal. I worry that finding the right person(s) to sail with on the internet isn't going to be without a few disappointments.

Where in the Caribbean is the new boat? Maybe make some actual sailing friends there, and do some sailing together. Finding someone with some real experience wouldn't be a bad idea, considering your own experience?

Best of luck to you, but be careful.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:18   #5

Boat: Baltic 38DP

I find that it pays to pay, when you're not experienced enough. Get a professional on board for a couple of weeks. They won't screw you over and they are used to getting along with a wide variety of people. Once you are confident of your own boat, you can ask people to come along without paying for them and you can make the decisions. It's not good to have amateurs aboard when you're not confident enough yet to say that you don't want things done this way or that.

Onno

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:41   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Budie.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing