Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2015, 09:22   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Sailing around the world with a Hanse 575, Amel 55 or Moody 54DS?

Wow...what a tough problem you have.

On a longshot...you might want to consider this bargain located in Canada for a fraction of your budget:

Kingston Yachts for Sale, New & Used Boat Sales, Powerboats & Sailboats - Kingston Yacht Sales

I'm familiar with the original owner. It was built for singlehanded sailing to run drugs from Antigua to the US/Canada. The vessel was seized, sold at auction, and rebuilt as a luxury cruiser. It is about the strongest vessel imaginable. Its at my local marina in Kingston Ontario Canada, on the hard for the winter.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:03   #17

Boat: Island Packet 32

Good luck Seven, I wish I had your problem to deal with!!
jpstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:12   #18

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post

On a longshot...you might want to consider this bargain located in Canada for a fraction of your budget:

Kingston Yachts for Sale, New & Used Boat Sales, Powerboats & Sailboats - Kingston Yacht Sales

I'm familiar with the original owner. It was built for singlehanded sailing to run drugs from Antigua to the US/Canada. The vessel was seized, sold at auction, and rebuilt as a luxury cruiser. It is about the strongest vessel imaginable. Its at my local marina in Kingston Ontario Canada, on the hard for the winter.
Wow!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:34   #19

Boat: Comet 41s

I don't understand very well the hesitation between the Amel 55 and the Hanse 575. The Hanse is a more sportive and fast boat. You say you prefer the feeling of the Hanse but want a better built boat, meaning a safer boat.

The logical conclusion is that you should have a boat typed like the Hanse but a better one and that is not an Amel 55 that is a better boat but one of the same type.

I would suggest the new X6

or on another register aluminum boats like the Cigale 16
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:19   #20
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:

wow, that is an interesting boat. but, 25 year old steel boat, crazy keels. looks like a very tall mast compared to the length of the boat, but maybe an illusion. I wonder if it could sail?
Old 03-12-2015, 12:41   #21

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:

Been for sale for years. Me thinks a very low ball offer would clinch her...
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 13:43   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I don't understand very well the hesitation between the Amel 55 and the Hanse 575. The Hanse is a more sportive and fast boat. You say you prefer the feeling of the Hanse but want a better built boat, meaning a safer boat.

The logical conclusion is that you should have a boat typed like the Hanse but a better one and that is not an Amel 55 that is a better boat but one of the same type.

I would suggest the new X6

or on another register aluminum boats like the Cigale 16
In any seaway, both suggestions entail the attendance of a fully trained orthodontist to replace your teeth fillings
You will be there faster with no teeth
Old 03-12-2015, 14:20   #23

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

You cant put the Amel in the same category as the Hanse and Moody....

Its like comparing an axe to a pen knife.

I would go anywhere in the Amel, but not in either of the other two, Seen them, worked on them and not interested. They are marina condos, or weekend beach toys.

Oh! PS your idea that a Williams is a tender is also ill advised. Its also a toy, to take madame to the restaurant thats 100 yards from your mooring. Where are you going to find spares for that in Papua, or Panama? (and you WILL need the spares) Tenders are used for much more than the Williams can ever think of handling.
Old 03-12-2015, 14:54   #24

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

My tip:

You are flushed with money and want to show it!?
If you intend to sail around at length, please reset your mind.

I would not buy any mass production boat, unless properly geared, and TESTED one full year at least!
It may not apply to AMEL, a tested design since long...which to me is more of a motor-sailor than a helm-sensitive ocean performer. Safe, but boring, and too much one-of-a-type imo.

Said that, honestly, I like the definition given of marina condos or plastic toys, for any big-brand names..

Change your B46 boat only if you want any of these at any costs:
- after cabin
- ketch rigging (better avoiding stupid spinnaker in the middle of the ocean)
- heavy displacement (real one, >16 tonnes)

These top 3 are serious points. Answer yourself...we can't for you, but all make sense for anyone sailing in comfort, safety, and on long passages...

I thus would consider upgrading your own boat, mainly with best variety of sails, and epirb like gear....

If you need extra space, do consider a recent Baltic, or Najad (Before they went bust), or a Swan before the Ferragamo ownership (as they imitate Wallys...now).
In Italy, consider Nauta and SERIGI (SOLARIS ONE...)

A solid boat of few years from a conscious owner is much preferable to an immaculate piece of plastic delivered by low-conscious blue collars with hasty supervision.
Concern is NOW mostly on superficial, glittering look... materials are cheap and execution is chaotic (as seen on 28m long motor yachts de visu)

These times, with your money you are on a trading advantage. There are also some one-off customs with a good amount of solo-handling implements....
Also, some shipyards may have semi-finished boats ready for completion to your taste.

As a sailor who sailed to Antartica on a 12m boat puts: buying a boat and pretending to sail blue waters is like pretending to buy a van, and think of having a camper

E.G. i put some 70sqm of insulation gear all around my boat,

Bilges
Roof
Bulkhead
Engine room

How much you think any Hanse/Moody has???��
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 16:04   #25

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
In any seaway, both suggestions entail the attendance of a fully trained orthodontist to replace your teeth fillings
You will be there faster with no teeth
Eleuthera, contrary to you I am not defending any type of yacht, just pointed out that if he likes more the feel a relatively like boat like the Hanse over a medium weight boat like the Amel and want a boat stronger and more seaworthy then he should not look among the quality medium weight boats but among the quality relatively light boats.

If he had said that liked more the Amel I would say to look also to Oyster, Discovery or Halberg-Rassy, but it was not that what he said.

Regarding other types of boats, regarding the ones suited for a circumnavigation there are tastes for everything, assuming one has the money for them, from Cats to performance cruisers, to light cruisers to middleweight cruisers.

I take your comments on those boats as not born of senseless bashing but out of lack of knowledge about them. Neither of them is a performance boat and both are fast voyage boats. About one I have not heard anything since it is not on the water but about the Cigale I have heard owners saying wonders, inclusive regarding comfort.

Regarding the Cigale 16, the basic concept of the boat was developed by one of the best NA from the XX century, Jean Marie Finot as his personal bluewater ideal boat. Finot says about the cigale concept:

"Go far, Go fast,With easy handling, With enough comfort, With little heeling, In complete safety...Is the dream of every sailor. The Cigale 16, with the aft crew cabin, is the result of our architect's and navigation experience."

The X6 is described by the builders as:
"Utilising the very latest state-of the art design concepts, yet unmistakably an X-Yacht, the X-Yachts designers started with a clean slate for the all-new X6. Developed to provide ultimate luxury, without sacrificing the renowned X-Yachts sailing performance, the X6 will take her owners and crew anywhere in sumptuous style and comfort. ..

Building upon the best features of the world beating Xcruising and Xperformance ranges, the X6 will utilise the same hi-tech, low-weight construction techniques as the latest generation Xp racer-cruisers, including vacuum infused epoxy with localised carbon fibre reinforcements for strength, stiffness and stability.

The weight saved has been put to good use: allowing long-range fuel and water tanks, larger battery banks and optional equipment such as water makers and dive compressors to be fitted without sacrificing performance.

The new ‘X’ range will be a luxurious and impressively fast collection of performance cruising yachts for state-of-the-art bluewater sailing. "

The NA describes the boat and boat program this way:

"The X6´s hull is designed to meet the demands from sailors, who want to enjoy sailing in a wide range of conditions. Apposite to the mainstream trends of yachts with a very modern appearance, X6 is meant to be enjoyable and easily controllable in more than just ‘reaching’ conditions. The upwind performance and sea keeping has been given a lot of attention whilst choosing design parameters and various aspect ratios.

Achieving comfort when sailing to windward in a rough sea was an essential prerequisite in the X6 hull design. Deep V sections, modest displacement, generous stability, and a powerful yet easy to handle sail plan offer smooth sailing through the waves. ..

Using a combination of Eglass and carbon skins instead of a full carbon construction delivers local strength and general resistance to impact. Comfortable stability has been achieved with a high ballast ratio instead of an extreme hull shape. Wetted surface area and friction drag is minimised, which is essential for light wind performance."

Niels Jeppesen the NA is not a kid but a very experienced NA

I am not saying that these boats would make your style or that you would prefer them over a medium displacement yacht like the Amel, I know you wouldn't, just saying that they are far away from the image that you give of them. They are no radical boats, not even true performance yachts (cruiser-racers), they are bluewater boats for the ones that like these type of boats...and someone that likes an Hanse 575 would like one of this

And as someone has pointed out, a Solaris will also be a good choice among this type of boats or a Italia yacht...or several others.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 18:23   #26

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

I sailed on a friends Super Maramu here in Hawai'i. Although I haven't had the pleasure of sailing on the other builds you mentioned, an Amel would be hard to beat!
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 21:44   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Eleuthera, contrary to you I am not defending any type of yacht, just pointed out that if he likes more the feel a relatively like boat like the Hanse over a medium weight boat like the Amel and want a boat stronger and more seaworthy then he should not look among the quality medium weight boats but among the quality relatively light boats.

If he had said that liked more the Amel I would say to look also to Oyster, Discovery or Halberg-Rassy, but it was not that what he said.

Regarding other types of boats, regarding the ones suited for a circumnavigation there are tastes for everything, assuming one has the money for them, from Cats to performance cruisers, to light cruisers to middleweight cruisers.

I take your comments on those boats as not born of senseless bashing but out of lack of knowledge about them. Neither of them is a performance boat and both are fast voyage boats. About one I have not heard anything since it is not on the water but about the Cigale I have heard owners saying wonders, inclusive regarding comfort.

Regarding the Cigale 16, the basic concept of the boat was developed by one of the best NA from the XX century, Jean Marie Finot as his personal bluewater ideal boat. Finot says about the cigale concept:

"Go far, Go fast,With easy handling, With enough comfort, With little heeling, In complete safety...Is the dream of every sailor. The Cigale 16, with the aft crew cabin, is the result of our architect's and navigation experience."

The X6 is described by the builders as:
"Utilising the very latest state-of the art design concepts, yet unmistakably an X-Yacht, the X-Yachts designers started with a clean slate for the all-new X6. Developed to provide ultimate luxury, without sacrificing the renowned X-Yachts sailing performance, the X6 will take her owners and crew anywhere in sumptuous style and comfort. ..

Building upon the best features of the world beating Xcruising and Xperformance ranges, the X6 will utilise the same hi-tech, low-weight construction techniques as the latest generation Xp racer-cruisers, including vacuum infused epoxy with localised carbon fibre reinforcements for strength, stiffness and stability.

The weight saved has been put to good use: allowing long-range fuel and water tanks, larger battery banks and optional equipment such as water makers and dive compressors to be fitted without sacrificing performance.

The new ‘X’ range will be a luxurious and impressively fast collection of performance cruising yachts for state-of-the-art bluewater sailing. "

The NA describes the boat and boat program this way:

"The X6´s hull is designed to meet the demands from sailors, who want to enjoy sailing in a wide range of conditions. Apposite to the mainstream trends of yachts with a very modern appearance, X6 is meant to be enjoyable and easily controllable in more than just ‘reaching’ conditions. The upwind performance and sea keeping has been given a lot of attention whilst choosing design parameters and various aspect ratios.

Achieving comfort when sailing to windward in a rough sea was an essential prerequisite in the X6 hull design. Deep V sections, modest displacement, generous stability, and a powerful yet easy to handle sail plan offer smooth sailing through the waves. ..

Using a combination of Eglass and carbon skins instead of a full carbon construction delivers local strength and general resistance to impact. Comfortable stability has been achieved with a high ballast ratio instead of an extreme hull shape. Wetted surface area and friction drag is minimised, which is essential for light wind performance."

Niels Jeppesen the NA is not a kid but a very experienced NA

I am not saying that these boats would make your style or that you would prefer them over a medium displacement yacht like the Amel, I know you wouldn't, just saying that they are far away from the image that you give of them. They are no radical boats, not even true performance yachts (cruiser-racers), they are bluewater boats for the ones that like these type of boats...and someone that likes an Hanse 575 would like one of this

And as someone has pointed out, a Solaris will also be a good choice among this type of boats or a Italia yacht...or several others.

Hello Polux,

Sorry ... I was only teasing... Nonetheless, I also like Cigale 16 (there is one in the next pontoon to me at Marina di Ragusa).. Plus I nearly bought an X562 (which is still for sale). But for a safe RTW, the Amel became a compromised choice.
Old 03-12-2015, 23:57   #28

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

@polux
If you want to say that a x-yacht is similar to, and better than hanses, fine!

Said that, anyone sells his own concepts, including prestigious NA... :-)

The only French boat I like is Pen Duick III

with a budget of 700k I'd go for a custom schooner with junk rigging of 17m LOA

De gustibus... The Wally concept has made damages that 2 generations ahead will redeem and forget....(imo)

Look at your pictures.... it looks an Ikea office corner... tidy clean aseptic, 90° corners all around.

As to Finot, a living room on stern...!? Well,... better not... I want storage gear available when mooring, small beam eastern, and full height standing alone, and less noise, in the living...

Thank you...
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 00:35   #29

Boat: First 44.7

To compare X-Yachts with Hanse is like comparing a VW vs a BMW. X-Yachts are better built and more luxurious.
Only two of you? Why not consider going down ac couple feet and still have the sail feeling combined with safety, speed, luxury and easy handling…

Take a look at this I have for sale:http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f152/x-yachts-x-50-2009-mod-153366.html
dreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:11   #30

Boat: Scout 30

How about thinking outside the box. Here's a beauty with a pretty significant price reduction.
2009 Pilot Schooner Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Amel 55, comfort, Hanse 575, Moody 54 DS, round the world, safety, sailing