Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2016, 21:35   #61

Boat: Pearson 365
Re: Saildrive VS Direct Shaft

I have a Pearson 365 with the Westerberg 40. I had the stuffing box serviced locally here in the SF area last year.My main worry is having to do it another time and finding someone willing. That is the type of thing I couldn't do myself. How often do you think it might need to be done? What can I do to keep it healthy?
Franst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 22:01   #62

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franst8 View Post
I have a Pearson 365 with the Westerberg 40. I had the stuffing box serviced locally here in the SF area last year.My main worry is having to do it another time and finding someone willing. That is the type of thing I couldn't do myself. How often do you think it might need to be done? What can I do to keep it healthy?
Sailed my boat regularly for four years before ever hauling. It had been eight years since the last haulout. Some shaft work and new shaft log were needed so replaced the stuffing as well at that time. Never touched it during those four years and it dripped the same the entire time. No idea when the last service was before my ownership.

Had the common flax stuffing and replaced with the same. Wouldn't surprise me if I don't haul again for four more years. Probably replace it again then.

If a mechanic is not willing to service a v drive stuffing box I'm thinking you don't want that mechanic working on your boat anyway.

Not sure about what to do to keep it healthy as I did nothing at all except sail regularly. And it never needed any attention.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:32   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoster View Post
To answer yours, would have to first ask if the engine is facing fore or aft. The output of the engine is aft.

How about this. The engine is fore of the main mast and the shaft is less than 2'.
Crikey no ideas there!
Jimlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:08   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualibrium View Post
As a Catamaran with Dagger boards if i want to sit on a tidal beach to clean, repaint etc I will be sitting on saildrive legs and rudders rather than a shaft supporting Skeg, so my flexibility is significantly reduced.

With hard earned experience I wish I had not installed sail drives!!!!!!!!
I hate to tell you this but that has zero to do with how your prop is mounted. You can have a skeg hung rudder with sail drives (our new to us boat does).

Likewise, if you have spade rudders with a shaft drive, I wouldn't recommend setting those one the bottom intentionally.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:11   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franst8 View Post
As long as drives are in discussions, anyone have an opinion on V drives?
Had V drives on our old power boat. The V drive itself was never a problem. Getting to the stuffing box was a pain.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:52   #66

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm

Pro's and cons with them both as said. To me no deal breaker at all with a Saildrive. As said, the. were ones (thank God) allows oil- and anode replacement in the water. If you have corrosion problems on a Saildrive leg it's not to blame the drive unit. Your lack of good practice and maintenance on your electrocs are to blame!

If in marinas, on shore power, a huge issue no matter what kind of drive train you've got.

Just ask metal boat owners ;-)
Old 11-02-2016, 21:02   #67

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I've always wondered about these stories. If you lose your prop shaft, could one not simply stuff a BIG rag in the 1 1/2" hole? I change my speed transducer and fully understand the amount of water that comes through that size hole, but it's not a whole lot of pressure. Surely a jury rigged plug of some sort would be high on a list of things to have "just in case" would it not?

Saildrive holes? Not so much.

How about a tapered wooden plug? . . . You do have an assortment aboard for broken 'Thru-hulls' do you not? . . .
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 22:09   #68

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
V-drives--inefficient, noisy, difficult to service.

Yes the stuffing box may be harder to get to but the drive itself is much the same design as all drives, less the prop shaft location. So, serious question here; how would they be any less efficient or noisy?
The few I've worked on were more accessible and easier to service.
Old 11-02-2016, 22:19   #69

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Less efficient because of all the changes in direction of power, which also produces more gear noise/whine, typically.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:33   #70

Boat: 13.1mtr Tasman Elite Catamaran

I have a 43' catamaran with saildrives and folding props. I have been boating for over thirty years now and I would never go back to a shaft drive, mainly because of the noise made by the shaft when sailing. Anything over 4 knots and you start to get that rumble from below. I have even secured the shaft by putting large screwdrivers through the universal joint on the shaft etc. Give me a saildrive any day.
Grottie Yachtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:27   #71

Boat: Columbia 36

My Columbia 36 is one of those crazy designs (along with one from Irwin, I believe) where the prop shaft is offset, passes next to the rudder shaft, and the prop sticks out aft of the rudder. The boats a real PITA to maneuver under power. Except for the stopping part, it would be easier to sail into a slip. This is one design where a saildrive would be an improvement, but they weren't around in 1969.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:35   #72

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
How about a tapered wooden plug? . . . You do have an assortment aboard for broken 'Thru-hulls' do you not? . . .
Even better is to put a hose clamp on the shaft just forward of the stuffing box. If it comes uncoupled, the clamp won't let it slide out of the boat or jam the rudder. And you can put it back together without having to haul out.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:08   #73

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm

Surprising no one mentioned how much more silent and vibration-free a Saildrive is! Good reason alone.

Anyway, quite an academic discussion, when looking for a boat there many other parameters far more important.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:28   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

That is a point ......but also, if someone were looking at buying a used boat, would the type of drive really be a deal breaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svrodeorm View Post
Surprising no one mentioned how much more silent and vibration-free a Saildrive is! Good reason alone.

Anyway, quite an academic discussion, when looking for a boat there many other parameters far more important.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:49   #75

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

My boat just turned 15 years old and has a Volvo MD2030 with a Volvo saildrive. Knock on wood, but I've never had a single problem with it. The fluid still looks new between haul outs (mine requires a haul out to change the fluid, which is not required on new ones). I've never had any corrosion at all. Use the right bottom paint and keep up with the zincs and it should be fine. I did have the through-hull seal replaced when the boat was 10 or 11 years old, but after we got the old one out decided it could have gone many more years. If you're already hauled for a bottom job changing it's cheap insurance though.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, saildrive