Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 01-01-2019, 15:55   #451

Boat: Sabre 36, Pearson 34. Boatless
Re: Sailboats with Free Standing Masts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss2016 View Post
More pics of Kiss.

In fact, these are the sails that were on the boat when I bought it. The next ones, which are high on the Wish List, will be with a full roach.

Fortunatly, although I will be 64 soon, I still need more room than a single sea berth once in a while even if its not as often as I wishes.

This is why, one of the first modification that I did on Kiss was to modify the dining table foot in order to be able to transform the table into a large bed.

Here are some pics of it.

Above it is a large hatch that, when opened, gives a nice view on the sky and lots of fresh air.

The last pic is Kiss with her new colours.

I really like your ending quote. Regrets vs dreams. I’m just turned 75 and while in good shape it is a struggle at times. I will write that down as a form of inspiration.
Normanskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 17:08   #452
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristjan View Post
No mention of pinky schooners or cowhorns? Which some aren’t but several were designed to be free standing.
Find us some photos and post them here!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 17:22   #453

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Good one kristjan! Pinky schooners! That's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I guess they did, I found a shot of one, and small sharpies did come with free standing masts sometimes too(they may have been mentioned earlier
Found a shot of a cowhorn too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2019-01-08 at 5.11.52 PM.png
Views:	133
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	183521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2019-01-08 at 5.16.21 PM.png
Views:	139
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	183522  

Name:	Screen shot 2019-01-08 at 5.20.58 PM.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	183523  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 14:06   #454

Hello, I am new to sailing, when I say new I mean real new I've only ever been on one sailboat for one day and that was 15 years ago. But the last few months I've become very interested. And I'm very interested in the freestanding mast idea. As someone who has owned a welding business for 17 years I can appreciate simplicity on many levels(building, maintenance, peace of mind) it's been a long time since anyone has commented on this thread. So maybe none of the people who were originally in the conversation will read this, but I binge read this whole thread in about an hour and a half. It is one of the most informational rabbit holes I've been down in a long time. So thanks for that!

With my limited knowledge I have a bit of an analogy that I think fits in with a more well known sublect, in regards to the arguments on the thread... so the whole world seems to be wanting to get away from or improve the burning of fossil fuels and there's all sorts of ideas and such to do so. But you don't hear any mention of going back to the old ways of horse and buggy, which always bothers me. But anyway there's plenty of places in the world that still rely solely on true "horse" power. And they get along just fine. Tried, true, steady! I'm learning that if I'm going to possibly build a sailboat someday, which I'm slowly talking myself into more and more. Some type of freestanding junk rig, or gaffrig, is going to be the ticket. Tried, true, steady.

Sorry that is probably a terrible analogy, but it makes sense to me, haha, thanks for all the info!
Coopweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2023, 22:22   #455

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard coopweld! I can appreciate your interest in the old designs and free-standing masts. As I think you saw many of the designs are well suited for inland shallow waters. Where are you and what kind of sailing do you want to do? Or is it the project of building a boat that has caught your fancy? In any case I know you will have fun on this journey you are about to take messing about in boats!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 08:02   #456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopweld View Post
....I'm learning that if I'm going to possibly build a sailboat someday, which I'm slowly talking myself into more and more. Some type of freestanding junk rig, or gaffrig, is going to be the ticket. Tried, true, steady.
If you are thinking about a junk rig, then you need to read, https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Jun...3797867&sr=8-1

To get started, go to Kasten's website and start reading and rereading his articles, Articles on Yacht Design and Boat Building.

He has an article on Junk Rigs, Consider The Junk Rig.

As a welder, you might also be interested in his articles on metal boat building. Kasten for many years ran the Metal Boat Society, which might also be of interest at some point.

There is also the Junk Rig Association(JRA) which has a huge amount of information on the junk rig. https://www.junkrigassociation.org/

Building your own boat of the size to go cruising takes years. We have thought about it and decided against it since we simply do not have time to build our own boat. My father wanted to build a boat and even bought boat building plans, but in the end, decided it was better to buy a boat. Having said, that if one is younger, and has more time than money, building a boat might be the way to go, but it will take years to build and more money than one thinks.

From a metal boat building perspective, Colvin wrote a couple of books about building boats in metal. Colving was a boat builder and designer who used junks rigs in his boats. Here is one of his books, https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Boat-Bu...s%2C172&sr=8-1. He has other books, though they are all out of print, but you can get the used books.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 09:41   #457

I met this guy and checked out his DIY plywood, twin keel, junk rig. Nifty boat, tho a bit too Spartan for my tastes.

https://youtu.be/vSqYxfvRTrk?si=Lx4hv-bZVO91c-tk
soopad00pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 10:45   #458

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

like this one (or pair) ? the hull length is abt 60'...i'm not even going to guess at the mast height

Name:	32cdf981-ee48-4285-9a57-cc980bd4fb72.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	283107

Name:	af512cd5-47d1-4a1c-a8b3-020c18cf8fb0.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	283108

cheers
Old 05-11-2023, 11:40   #459

Boat: IP 44

Te twin masted cat seems like it would be a good idea, but it must not be worth it. Adds a lot to the cost and probably doesn't improve performance that much. Dont know for sure.
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, sailboat, sail