Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2016, 14:40   #316
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 8
Re: Sailboats with Free Standing Masts

Kiss2016 - congratulations on your purchase. I wish you many happy years aboard.
__________________

__________________
MichaelMaunsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 14:59   #317
Registered User
 
Steady Hand's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Crewing 2016-2017 Available Globally
Boat: OPB = Still Searching for Her
Posts: 3,773
Re: Sailboats with Free Standing Masts

KISS,
That is a GREAT find! WOW! You lucky person.

I notice the sails are different from the drawing. Was that your choice, or did you get the boat used (I assume) and it came with sails without the full roach.

Also, I am always interested in seeing metal boats (usually custom) and always enjoy seeing the details and how the cockpit looks, how the interior looks, and other things that metal boats do that are a little different from plastic boats. So, please share more photos of KISS with us so we can see.

Thanks for contributing to this thread or discussion. I look forward to more.
__________________

__________________
Ahoy All Sailors! Do you need experienced crew for a long voyage either Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean in 2016-2017? I am available on short notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 16:09   #318
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,198
Re: Sailboats with Free Standing Masts

im still tyring to understand how you heave to in the thing
__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:07   #319
Registered User
 
Kiss2016's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Kuah, Kedah, Malaysia
Boat: Custom aluminium Freedom 40 with wishbones
Posts: 25
Re: Sailboats with Free Standing Masts

I still did'nt try to heave to with Kiss but I found this on the site.

"My recommendation for heaving to in a cat ketch is what most have offered. Mainsheet free, Centerboard fully down, mizzen in hard and tiller tied off to leeward. This is the best way to start and you can vary to suit conditions as you learn more. The tiller to leeward makes the bow want to fall off but the sheeted in mizzen and forward CLR from the CB will allow only so much of that."

"Adjustment to the CB is the next thing to vary to see what that does in different wind strength. Then allowing a bit of fullness in the mizzen changes the forward drive. Adding mizzen drive plus handing the tiller midships (both in varying degrees) changes the boat from hove-to to fore reaching, to actually sailing toward the wind and the ability to tack."

"I have not actually tried to tack the cat ketch with the main flogging but it works fine with it either down or rolled on the mast. The flogging main may create enough drag to prevent tacking or sailing to windward. The loose and flogging main will be less a problem in light wind and probably prevent tacking in strong wind."
__________________
A man is not old until regrets replace dream.
Kiss2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:08   #320
Registered User
 
Kiss2016's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Kuah, Kedah, Malaysia
Boat: Custom aluminium Freedom 40 with wishbones
Posts: 25
Re: Sailboats with Free Standing Masts

More pics of Kiss.

In fact, these are the sails that were on the boat when I bought it. The next ones, which are high on the Wish List, will be with a full roach.

Fortunatly, although I will be 64 soon, I still need more room than a single sea berth once in a while even if its not as often as I wishes.

This is why, one of the first modification that I did on Kiss was to modify the dining table foot in order to be able to transform the table into a large bed.

Here are some pics of it.

Above it is a large hatch that, when opened, gives a nice view on the sky and lots of fresh air.

The last pic is Kiss with her new colours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160904_085633.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	130569   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-09-04 09.26.06.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	130570  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160904_090245.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	130571   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-09-04 09.29.18.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	130572  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-09-04 09.29.52.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	130573   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-09-04 09.52.48.png
Views:	48
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	130574  

__________________
A man is not old until regrets replace dream.
Kiss2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:20   #321
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 653
Re: Sailboats with Free Standing Masts

The freedom 28 cat ketch apparently heaves to under poles, sails dropped. I don't know this, just repeating what a previous owner of one told me.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
daletournier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:12   #322
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 171
Re: Sailboats with Free Standing Masts

Perhaps we need a new thread titled "heaving-to", or is there one already?

You simply cannot heave-to under bare poles as, by definition, that is referred to as "lying ahull" (when beam on to the wind, or else "running under bare poles" if heading downwind). As most will know, heaving-to or lying ahull are two distinct options that serve very different purposes - sorry if I'm teaching grandma to suck eggs. An earlier post mentioned heaving-to with 'mainsheet free and main flogging': this also is not heaving-to - it is merely slowing down for a cuppa. Heaving-to is a serious business, a storm survival technique, when even a pocket handkerchief-size area of flogging sail will destroy the entire sail in minutes. Unless you have seen this and been there, better not to speculate on heaving-to.
__________________
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:49   #323
Registered User
 
Steady Hand's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Crewing 2016-2017 Available Globally
Boat: OPB = Still Searching for Her
Posts: 3,773
Re: Sailboats with Free Standing Masts

KISS,
Thanks for adding more photos to the mix in this thread.
Your boat looks very nice.
The table top is particularly nice compared to most on boats.
That large opening hatch with multiple smaller hatches or portlights is also interesting to see.
I like what I see. Lucky you!

Since this thread is a all about Free Standing Masts on boats, please consider posting some photos of your masts and booms, along with any comments on anything particular to your boats gear. Others may learn something from seeing how your boat is rigged. I also find interest in seeing how tillers, rudders, companionway hatches, and sterns look on metal boats. Some are very unusual or one offs. Some look very practical and sturdy.
__________________
Ahoy All Sailors! Do you need experienced crew for a long voyage either Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean in 2016-2017? I am available on short notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 15:15   #324
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 653
Re: Sailboats with Free Standing Masts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
Perhaps we need a new thread titled "heaving-to", or is there one already?

You simply cannot heave-to under bare poles as, by definition, that is referred to as "lying ahull" (when beam on to the wind, or else "running under bare poles" if heading downwind). As most will know, heaving-to or lying ahull are two distinct options that serve very different purposes - sorry if I'm teaching grandma to suck eggs. An earlier post mentioned heaving-to with 'mainsheet free and main flogging': this also is not heaving-to - it is merely slowing down for a cuppa. Heaving-to is a serious business, a storm survival technique, when even a pocket handkerchief-size area of flogging sail will destroy the entire sail in minutes. Unless you have seen this and been there, better not to speculate on heaving-to.
Well for the record I have heaved to in adverse conditions ,and this has been on my freedom.
The angle at which you take the sea is the important part. Generally lying a hull is when your beam on to the sea. My friend that crossed the alantic several times on his freedom 28 wasnt talking about lying a hull he was talking about putting his boat in a heave to postion. Under bare poles and rudder hard over he was able to achieve this. He knows the difference between being hove to and lying a hull. This is one aspect he very much appreciated about his cat ketch, the fact that it would do this.


Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
daletournier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 18:41   #325
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 171
Re: Sailboats with Free Standing Masts

There must be several definitions of "heave-to" in use: the common understanding (correct me if wrong) is to go about without releasing the jib sheet, thus stopping the vessel with one sail (staysail, storm jib, etc) opposing forward motion while the other (main, trysail) drives ahead - very steady compared to removing all sail.

I expected a cat ketch/schooner to heave-to by sheeting the forward sail to weather (using the traveller or whatever), the aft to lee, and the tiller down. Is it not that simple?
__________________
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 23:02   #326
Registered User
 
haiqu's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere on Australia's east coast.
Boat: 'Keppelena' Hartley Queenslander 35' and 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 30'
Posts: 414
Re: Sailboats with Free Standing Masts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Back in the hippie days some kooky guys named Jim Brown, Dick Newick, and Chris White worked on a project intended to bring the benefits of modern mutlihull design to indigenous fisherman and thereby liberate the fisherman from a dependency on expensive outboard engines and their resultant pollution.

The boat was called SIB (Small Is Beautiful) which took inspiration from the book https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_is_beautiful by EF Schumacher.
Just grabbed a copy for my Kindle. Thanks for the reference, looks interesting.
__________________
http://www.cruiserswiki.org - Moderator

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:39   #327
Marine Service Provider
 
beiland's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: St Augustine, FL, Thailand
Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Posts: 1,038
Re: Sailboats with Free Standing Masts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
There must be several definitions of "heave-to" in use: the common understanding (correct me if wrong) is to go about without releasing the jib sheet, thus stopping the vessel with one sail (staysail, storm jib, etc) opposing forward motion while the other (main, trysail) drives ahead - very steady compared to removing all sail.

I expected a cat ketch/schooner to heave-to by sheeting the forward sail to weather (using the traveller or whatever), the aft to lee, and the tiller down. Is it not that simple?
I have somewhat similar thoughts. I never thought the rudder was that 'important' in the heave-to situation as there is not a lot of water moving over it while the vessel just sort of maintains position (not moving a great deal forward or aft).

Rather set the sails on the vessel so they tend to cancel each other out without any significant luffing. The aft sail is set to make the vessel want to point up-wind, while the fwd sail is 'backwinded' to make the bow fall off the wind. The vessel will assume a sort of neutral stance approximately 45-65 degrees off the wind.

I've done it very successfully with a ketch rig, and just one of the reasons I like such a rig.
__________________
Brian Eiland
distinctive exploration yachts
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 20:06   #328
Registered User
 
Freedom45's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Pacific
Boat: Freedom 45 hull#1
Posts: 175
Re: Sailboats with Free Standing Masts

We have a Freedom 45 center cockpit (very pretty design, most people have no idea we have no standing rigging or are a different make until they look a little harder) and are currently sailing around the world in her. When ever we set out to do a passage with other boats, often a bit larger, we are usually the first boat to the destination. In fact, we get teased all of the time because we are so fast.
Because of her spacious interior and amazing amount of room and storage, we are always selected for get together's! (unless there is a catamaran around). I'm the wife and feel so confidant sailing her...well my husband does most of it, because you can easily single hand a Freedom. We have been in big winds and after 2.5 years out at sea have never had a truly scary moment! She points extremely well going upwind, my favorite is sailing downwind with just the mainsail! I just love this boat and I am new to cruising (2 years in). I'm pretty sure that is partly because she is a stiff boat and we sail relatively flat. Because we intend to keep sailing for another 15 years the only thing I would like would be another Freedom but about 10 feel larger! Such rugged, safe, beautiful, boats. We have crossed the pacific ocean, gone to the Marshall Islands and of course all of the wonderful places in between. We are currently in Fiji and heading down to New Zealand in a few weeks. We call her the perfect boat!
I should mention that our Freedom 45 is a sloop rig without a Hoyt boom for the self tacking jib.
__________________
I Sail, Therefor I ARRrrr...
Freedom45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:43   #329
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 576
Re: Sailboats with Free Standing Masts

Freedom 45, thanks for that. Have alway admired the simplicity of the rig. How is she in a good size swell running downwind ? Do you get a corkscrew motion akin to a vomit comet? Do you go dead downwind or taken the wind on the quarters? What do you do when you go totally defensive with big waves and wind? Do you run down, lie ahull, or what? So curious about the rig. Since u don't use a headsail I was wondering how u would do that without headsail.
__________________
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:55   #330
Registered User
 
Steady Hand's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Crewing 2016-2017 Available Globally
Boat: OPB = Still Searching for Her
Posts: 3,773
Re: Sailboats with Free Standing Masts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom45 View Post
We have a Freedom 45 center cockpit (very pretty design, most people have no idea we have no standing rigging or are a different make until they look a little harder) and are currently sailing around the world in her. When ever we set out to do a passage with other boats, often a bit larger, we are usually the first boat to the destination. In fact, we get teased all of the time because we are so fast.
Because of her spacious interior and amazing amount of room and storage, we are always selected for get together's! (unless there is a catamaran around). I'm the wife and feel so confidant sailing her...well my husband does most of it, because you can easily single hand a Freedom. We have been in big winds and after 2.5 years out at sea have never had a truly scary moment! She points extremely well going upwind, my favorite is sailing downwind with just the mainsail! I just love this boat and I am new to cruising (2 years in). I'm pretty sure that is partly because she is a stiff boat and we sail relatively flat. Because we intend to keep sailing for another 15 years the only thing I would like would be another Freedom but about 10 feel larger! Such rugged, safe, beautiful, boats. We have crossed the pacific ocean, gone to the Marshall Islands and of course all of the wonderful places in between. We are currently in Fiji and heading down to New Zealand in a few weeks. We call her the perfect boat!
I should mention that our Freedom 45 is a sloop rig without a Hoyt boom for the self tacking jib.
Welcome to this discussion and thank you for adding your very good post, which I enjoyed reading. A thread or topic like this really begs for photos, so please post a photo of your boat here too. Preferably one showing something you like about your boat and also some showing it in some Sailing or tropical scene (as an inspiration).

You are living the Dream, and it sounds like a very good one to me.
__________________

__________________
Ahoy All Sailors! Do you need experienced crew for a long voyage either Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean in 2016-2017? I am available on short notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mast, sailboat, sail

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Available: FREE manpower for you! I just need experience on sailboats, will work for FREE rvisbal Crew Archives 7 22-10-2013 09:03
Catalina Free-Standing Mast? Dutchers Construction, Maintenance & Refit 3 02-06-2009 14:04
Morgan Out Islander 41' Standing Rigging for both Main & Mizzen masts worldstoreone Classifieds Archive 1 20-04-2009 14:17
Unstayed masts or stayed masts? Joli Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 29 22-07-2008 03:56
Origo 3000 Free Standing Double-burner Alcohol Stove Triton318 Classifieds Archive 3 26-05-2008 16:16


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:19.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.