Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 17-08-2015, 23:13   #256

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Sailboats with Free Standing Masts

On my Freedom 38, I put a stopper in the main sheet so the boom doesn't ever go past 90 degrees because it puts bad juju on the gooseneck. I've already cracked one, but it was probably the original.

The jib I let go past 90 deg when sailing wing on wing and to keep the jib from flopping back over when DDW, but the boat heats up better when sailing at a higher angle and when both sails are on the same side, so it's not really as effective for boat speed.

As to the lengths, the sheets don't seem to be all that longer than on a more typical boat. Maybe 20 feet long for the main sheet? I only have one jib sheet! Anyway, I don't think pushing the boom too far forward of the mast is a really efficient way to sail.

As to reefing when DDW, this is not possible under my set up because there's too much sideways pressure on the slugs to get the sail down.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 09:10   #257

Boat: OEM, proportional

A JR conversion to an Alberg 37. North Atlantic sailing, dismasting (red pine logs!), jury rig, engineless, learning curve, sail twist, all this and more!

https://alberg37junk.wordpress.com/

Old 27-08-2015, 13:36   #258
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is an article describing the largest private sailing yacht with very tall Free Standing Masts (Carbon Fiber).

The yacht is named: "Sailing Yacht A"

Russian billionaire Andrey Melnichenko builds Sailing Yacht A to be world's biggest yacht* | Daily Mail Online

I thought the Maltese Falcon was huge!

While this boat is bigger, I like the look of the Maltese Falcon much more (looks more like a sailboat) as this one looks like a big inflated motor yacht with some stumpy masts and sails added on.

It is noteworthy the masts are Free Standing Masts.

Comparing the two:
"468 feet long and has masts taller than Big Ben's tower
Mr Melnichenko invested €400 million (£292 million) to build the vessel

It will dwarf other famous super-yachts like The Maltese Falcon, which is 298ft (88 metres) and weighs 1,367 tons.

By comparison, Sailing Yacht A will weigh 14,224 tons."
Andrey Milnichenko has invested $451 million into his new vessel Sailing Yacht A.

Each of its three masts tower more than 328ft (100 metres) above the water line and carry sails that when placed side-by-side are larger than a football field.

The masts were built by Magma Structures from carbon fibre and will be the largest and most highly loaded composite freestanding structures in the world.

The main mast is so large that it contains a small room inside.

Special booms also had to be built to hold the enormous sails, the largest of which is 19,019 square feet (1,767 square metres).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailing Yacht A.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	108018  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 13:27   #259
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Contessa 26 with Junk Rig

Hello again folks!

I came across another Free Standing Mast boat today that caught my eye and I thought might interest someone, especially if they are looking for a smaller boat, which has been proven a seaworthy design, and at a lower price point.

This is the kind of boat that would catch my attention as a good starting point if I wanted to "get into" a FSM or Junk Rig boat, at lower cost, but still have a proven capable hull type.

It is currently for sale.

Contessa 26 with Junk Rig

Asking Price = £5,500.00
Contessa 26 for sale, 7.77m (25'6"), unknown year | Boatshed Phuket

NOTICE: I am posting this boat and photos and information for the purposes of discussion on the topic. I have NO connection to the boat, the seller, or the broker. Caveat Emptor!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Contessa 26 JUNK RIG dock2.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	108393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Contessa 26 JUNK RIG salon.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	108394  

Name:	Contessa 26 JUNK RIG salon2.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	108395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Contessa 26 JUNK RIG cockpit.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	108396  

Name:	Contessa 26 JUNK RIG stern.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	108397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Contessa 26 JUNK RIG deck.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	108398  

Old 03-09-2015, 16:28   #260

Boat: Moana 33
Re: Contessa 26 with Junk Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Pretty little thing. You've covered the field, from 5,500 to 300,000,000 UKpounds, and I know which one I prefer
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 17:20   #261

OK.... now lets move on to "Sailboats with Expensive standing masts".....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 17:36   #262
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Contessa 26 with Junk Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
Pretty little thing. You've covered the field, from 5,500 to 300,000,000 UKpounds, and I know which one I prefer
I also think it is pretty and looks nicely scaled for a small boat. I was impressed by the interior, given the small LOA.
Old 03-09-2015, 17:38   #263
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
OK.... now lets move on to "Sailboats with Expensive standing masts".....

I think most of those are in the multihull forum.
Old 04-09-2015, 21:02   #264

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

here is a pretty Nonsuch 1989 harbored in Sausalito and for sale at 89K. I am not related or have any financial interest in this well kept boat. Can be found in Latitude mag...

alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 13:08   #265

Here is my boat; picture was taken by a woman on a jet ski who commented the boat was beautiful. She asked to take pictures and in return sent them to me.

I never get a chance to take a picture of my boat on account I'm in it. The wind was gusting up to 5 but averaged 3. Really slow folks.

Anyway, it's here in this thread as reference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3760169997.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	108593  
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 13:56   #266

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatketch33 View Post
Here is my boat; ...Anyway, it's here in this thread as reference.
Thanks, I want to learn all I can about these hard-to-find yachts - hope you can answer a few idiot questions that you may have heard a million times already:
Are those half-wishbones? Any advantages of that?
Are sails set on tracks? If so, does this make hoisting/lowering easier or harder than with sleeved luffs, especially downwind?
Is reefing straightforward, like any other yacht? (Not that switching from furled stays'l to hanked storm jib on a 'normal' yacht can be considered anything less than horrendous.)
Is she a Nonsuch? If so, are they considered ocean-capable? Is ultimate stability a consideration?
Is she balsa cored? Does this present any particular problems?
You get the drift - afraid to put my toe in the water, but dreaming of such a yacht.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:12   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog
Thanks, I want to learn all I can about these hard-to-find yachts - hope you can answer a few idiot questions that you may have heard a million times already: Are those half-wishbones? Any advantages of that? Are sails set on tracks? If so, does this make hoisting/lowering easier or harder than with sleeved luffs, especially downwind? Is reefing straightforward, like any other yacht? (Not that switching from furled stays'l to hanked storm jib on a 'normal' yacht can be considered anything less than horrendous.) Is she a Nonsuch? If so, are they considered ocean-capable? Is ultimate stability a consideration? Is she balsa cored? Does this present any particular problems? You get the drift - afraid to put my toe in the water, but dreaming of such a yacht.
Hi ND,

Appreciate your interest. I recommend also looking at greatketch.blogspot.com for addition details.

Half-wishbones: the boat was designed by Halsey Herreshoff, he indicated the booms were effective and full wishbones were not needed. I have had no issues with the booms.

Sails are on tracks. Easy work. Hoisting and lowering sails are best done going into wind in order to prevent the battens in the sail from getting snagged in the lazy jacks. If I disconnect the lazy jacks then I can raise and lower from a wider angle to wind but within reason.

Reefing is like any other boat. Pull the reef line etc... Even with 20mph winds I have not reefed because the mast bend spilling the energy of the wind accordingly. I suppose reefing has to occur at some point but in my lake it had not provided an opportunity yet.

The boat is a Herreshoff design built by John Newton with masts designed ny Eric Sponberg.

Ocean capable? Heh, I was reading a 1000+ posts thread on this portal about what makes a blue water boat, I am still trying to figure it out.
I don't know for sure but I suspect that answer mostly is connected to the skill of the skipper to a large degree.

John Newton wanted a safe boat. He told me the boat has loose footed sails, no winches, booms high to avoid head damage, positive floatation - floatation foam no balsa core, man over board rudder, lower risk of demasting as a result of shrouds, stays, and related connectors. -- paraphrasing his words.

The boat works for me. I enjoy all boats with sails. Each boat has certain feature that emphasize a strength and weakness. The fact that many boats are different demonstrates this thinking.

Research and try to get rides on different boats to see and get a feel if the things you value most in a boat. I can't use my boat to race in the local racing club because it's design is strange. I can't tack on the dime like the spade rudder boats. My boat has the skeg and the boat loves to hold a line.

Good luck in your learning and boat adventures.
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:34   #268

Boat: Offshore 33 cat ketch

I've been following this thread hoping to learn more about my Offshore 33 cat ketch, how to sail it, and what others may have done to improve theirs. Unfortunately, the fact that it's not a mass produced production boat makes that unlikely. Offshore Yachts and Clearwater Yachts built these boats in the 80's and they were also marketed as Barefoot, Freewing, and Clearwater 33's when marketed for charter fleets. Walter Scott was the designer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	108639  
mserafi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:40   #269

Boat: Offshore 33 cat ketch

More:
Attached Thumbnails