Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 19:23   #211

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Sailboats with Free Standing Masts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqPeg View Post
More pics
It looks like the jib is self tending and on a traveler. Is this right? Curious how it works for you.

The jib is really the only frustrating thing about the Freedom boats. It has a cambar spar (or "widow maker" as my friends call it) inside the pocket to keep its shape, but the whole thing is a bit touchy. It just has a mind of its own.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:35   #212

Boat: OEM, proportional

Here's an interesting blog!

Sail Twist | Sailing AUKLET

That post is about sail twist in a Reddish-style JR, on a Bolger Glasshouse Chebacco (spritsail mizzen); originally a gaff, then a Matt Layden-style roller furl balanced lug. Very interesting to see their learning curve, and their approach to solving typical boat-problems.

Of particular interest to me were the sheet spans, another way of adjusting twist in the JR. Also, the Reddish-style JR appeals to me the most, setting the greatest area on a short mast, and imho looking beautiful while doing it, kind of like an owl's wing.

Here's a pic from the link, showing the sheet span dangling below the sheet itself:

Old 06-08-2015, 08:52   #213

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Panope, thanks for sharing a picture of your Witch. She is lovely and so cool. I also admire deeply the old rig styles and their practical nature.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:07   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719
Here's an interesting blog! Sail Twist | Sailing AUKLET That post is about sail twist in a Reddish-style JR, on a Bolger Glasshouse Chebacco (spritsail mizzen); originally a gaff, then a Matt Layden-style roller furl balanced lug. Very interesting to see their learning curve, and their approach to solving typical boat-problems. Of particular interest to me were the sheet spans, another way of adjusting twist in the JR. Also, the Reddish-style JR appeals to me the most, setting the greatest area on a short mast, and imho looking beautiful while doing it, kind of like an owl's wing. Here's a pic from the link, showing the sheet span dangling below the sheet itself:
I love the color of the sail; nice!
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:09   #215

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Micah, thanks for this link. I am in Heaven...smile
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:26   #216
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It is the LITTLE things that can get you!

Yesterday, I came across a mention of a very expensive stayed rig on a boat that had failed, causing the mast to break. Apparently the dismasting of the boat was in winds that were typical racing winds (nothing extreme) and the boat did not appear old (I am guessing 2010 or so).

The culprit?
A small fitting that connected one of the wire shrouds to the top of the mast broke, and the mast (with sail up) went over the side and snapped off about 4 feet above the deck.

This was on an expensive mast.

It serves as another example that the smallest (and likely the least expensive) of parts of a conventionally stayed rig can cause the catastrophic failure of the entire rig even when the conditions are not extreme.

Consequently, that little part, which may be inexpensive to purchase, relative to the cost of the boat or rig, may prove to cause a very expensive failure (of the entire rig) and even more expensive loss of the boat.

Something to think about.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:57   #217

That prompts me to another subject.....who here has already sketched out possible jury rigs if the main rig does fail? Which materials are to hand that might survive such an event? Spinnaker poles, sweeps, yulohs, dinghy masts & oars, popsicle sticks, etc? What form would the rig take? What backups do you have for aerials that might also have gone by the board?
Old 06-08-2015, 12:51   #218
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
That prompts me to another subject.....who here has already sketched out possible jury rigs if the main rig does fail? Which materials are to hand that might survive such an event? Spinnaker poles, sweeps, yulohs, dinghy masts & oars, popsicle sticks, etc? What form would the rig take? What backups do you have for aerials that might also have gone by the board?
Dismasting? Jury Rig?

That's why they invented a schooner!

Why?
With same size masts, they are redundant rigs, if one breaks you still have a duplicate mast. :big grin:

See the photo below for a really redundant system.

I think it is a good subject too, when one considers seamanship, and usually a good book on storms or seamanship will contain some illustrations of jury rigged masts.

But...Seems that nowadays with the prevalence of almost global air-sea rescue via EPIRB that fewer sailors attempt to jury rig (to sail the damaged boat to a port).

A few comments (which many here will possibly already know):

If you are a "trade winds" circumnavigator and use two poles to pole out your foresails, then use one of those or both (to be held to original mast stump or lashed together for more height).

The Antennae issue (dismasted, so lost VHF antennae) can probably be better solved by buying one of those cheap satellite texting gizmos so you can communicate via text messages even if you are in a raft or your dinghy etc. I would rather have a different system that does not depend on mast height or working electrical system (if boat is rolled it may be partially full of water). .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schooner Thomas Lawson 7 masts.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	106827  
Old 06-08-2015, 13:22   #219
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is another FSM boat I saw today for the first time.

Murray 33ft Cat Ketch

(50ft carbon fiber masts).

1998. Steel hull.
Specs:
LOA 33ft, Beam 10Ft 11in, LWL 27ft Depth 5ft10”, Displ. 15 000 lbs,
Ballast 5200 lbs, Headroom 72.5”

Currently listed on ebay for $75K

NOTE: I have no connection to the seller of this boat. I am merely posting this photo to illustrate the different types of FSM boats, some of which are for sale and to give us CF members an idea of the cost of different FSM boats today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FSM Murray 33 Cat Ketch Brewer design 50ft CF masts.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	106829  
Old 06-08-2015, 13:55   #220

Boat: Moana 33

I tried but failed to post a thumbnail or link to a JR currently for sale on Sailboat Listings - 36' Allied Princess - that ticks all the boxes for me, as she also has electric drive instead of diesel, composting head, Hydrovane self steering - all the eco-friendly bits and bobs to go with her low-tech hull and rig. A search by make and model doesn't find her; only by searching "JUNK" does she show up, very pretty yacht.

And that 7-masted schooner photo you posted, Steady - I think you'll find there is no redundancy there, as each mast will be stayed one to the other (triatic stays): when one goes, they all go. They seem too tall and close together to be individually stayed. That's one of the beauties of unstayed ketch or schooner rigs - no triatics .
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 14:37   #221

Like the classics? Have a Beer! Lugger, that is.....I came across these when I was looking for a hot small boat rig. Apparently the dipping lug is the hottest, but has the drawback of being difficult to handle. The old fishermen and smugglers of Beer Beach get around that with an interesting tacking method:

Welcome to BeerLuggers.co.uk

Not sure if you can truly call it a free standing rig as they use shrouds, but there are other luggers that use the halyard as a kind-of running shroud that gets shifted to windward each tack. On a capable dinghy with FSM, one could have a lot of wet fun after a leisurely passage...
Old 06-08-2015, 16:30   #222

Boat: Catalina 470

I really don't know anything about junks, but I think they look cool. Nothing to add but a picture that I took off Phuket of a glorious looking junk on a glorious day.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1438903743742.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	106845   Click image for larger version

Name:	1438903770649.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	106846  

daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:55   #223

Wylie designed Ocean Planet for the Around Alone Race and the Vendee Globe with a free standing rotating mast. First two parts of a six part interview with the skipper Bruce Schwab. Nice tiller!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1050332.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	106864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ocean Planet SF Bay.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	106865  

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:04   #224