Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2014, 11:10   #1

Boat: The Search Is On!
Sailboats With An Open Forward Berth?

Hello All,

I'm looking to buy an offshore sailboat, for two, with a v-berth like a Pacific Seacraft 31 with its nice open v-berth, however there are other things that keep me from buying this particular sailboat.

One of my favorite options is the pullman type berth seen on the Hans Christian 33. I would buy a clean one of these in heartbeat if the price was right. I like so much about these boats, the U-shape galley, my love/hate relationship with amount of teak it offers, the workmanship however I'm not seeing many on the east coast near here in FL.

My questions boils down to:
What other offshore sailboat have an open berth like the above examples?
blueyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:40   #2

Re: Sailboats With An Open Forward Berth?

I disliked the Pullman on my Hans Christian... although they look cool. Reasons? The outboard person cant get out over the inboard person easily, The pullman was very stuffy in hot weather even though there was a small hatch overhead, the side deck was a headbanger for the outboard person. Just thought I would pass this along.
In a small boat the open style V berth is kinda cool. A littel hard to hide the mess though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:00   #3
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Yes I hear bad experiences with Pullmans at anchorage.

Some ideas;

Niagra

1983 Hinterhoeller Niagra 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Gozzard

1997 Gozzard 36 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Estero

Estero: Island Packet Yachts

Bayfield
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983...s#.Uvkukf1qe6l
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:09   #4

Think about trying to read in bed in one of those open V berths. What do you lean back against?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:15   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Think about trying to read in bed in one of those open V berths. What do you lean back against?
each others back
Old 10-02-2014, 12:44   #6

Boat: Catalina 310

The main birth issue is a difficult one if you plan to live aboard and cruise. It was one of the primary reasons we bought our Catalina 310. There are very few under 45 foot boats with a real, livable main birth. Especially when you consider that most cruisers spend 75% of their time at anchor, not sailing.
Old 10-02-2014, 13:01   #7
cruiser

id rather have an aft cabin meself.
Old 10-02-2014, 13:14   #8
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

I recently sailed on a friends 37 Pacific Seacraft with this exact layout. I liked how open it felt below but privacy was difficult on the trip if someone decided to head to bed early. Also no place to change for those who are shy. I like I can shut my door when I have guest sailing with me. They also had curtains to block off the rest of the cabin.

Another massive pet peeve of mine with Pacific Seacraft is having the mast right in the middle of the salon. I had a Hans Christain 48 for a while and one of the reasons I did not like the boat is the salon was obstructed by a support post. For long term living aboard you will want an unobstructed salon IMHO.
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 15:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Excellent point.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 21:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I disliked the Pullman on my Hans Christian...The pullman was very stuffy in hot weather even though there was a small hatch overhead...
Very good response, thank you! I agree they do look very cool. What model do you own? I don't believe jumping over my wife would bother me much as I'm fairly young and spry, however after the one-millionth time, who knows it might start to get to me Being hot and stuffy is a concern since we live here in FL and plan on taking the boat thru the Caribbean. Do you think a cowl vent would do the trick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Yes I hear bad experiences with Pullmans at anchorage... Some ideas: Niagra, Gozzard 36, Estero: Island Packet , Bayfield
Great suggestions! I thought about the Gozzard 36 and Island Packet Estero however both are out of my price range especially the latter. Trying to keep as much money in the Kitty as humanly possible. The Niagara 35 has given me some food for thought. I haven't really researched this one as of yet and it looks like it has some very nice offshore features. As for the Bayfield I have mixed feels. On one hand I've always enjoy the sleek look of a clipper bow and it looks to be a solid boat but for its size and even the 32c they look to be a bit cramped inside, or is it just me? ... I'm also curious what other "bad experiences with Pullmans" have you heard through the grapevine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
... It was one of the primary reasons we bought our Catalina 310... Especially when you consider that most cruisers spend 75% of their time at anchor, not sailing.
Quite right! It is a major part of life and if you consider 1/3 of your life is spent sleeping and the other 2/3 of being awake depend on the first 3rd, then hell I want a good bed!! ... btw I'm glad you found your boat! For me the Catalina 310 might be a bit hairy in heavy offshore weather without some modifications however I imagine its a dream for island hoping and has a very nice interior to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
I recently sailed on a friends 37 Pacific Seacraft with this exact layout. I liked how open it felt below but privacy was difficult on the trip... Another massive pet peeve of mine with Pacific Seacraft is having the mast right in the middle of the salon. I had a Hans Christain 48 for a while and one of the reasons I did not like the boat is the salon was obstructed by a support post. For long term living aboard you will want an unobstructed salon IMHO.
Good points! I'll keep both in mind. I don't know if having the mast keel stepped would be a deal breaker but then again I haven't given it much thought. I guess if it came down to it I would indeed lean toward not having an unobstructed salon. If you had a pullman style berth on your HC48 what did you think of it?
Old 10-02-2014, 21:47   #11

Sorry, you couldn't give me a Pullman berth, they look cool but thats about it. Crawling across your partner at night waking them up each way is not my idea of a good berth. The plain old V-berth is still one of the best as long as its sized right. Forward with excellent ventilation, you can pop your head out of the hatch to have a quick look around if necessary, even in the tropics with a windscoop you can get a cool rest. You can also hear your anchor chain if it ever started dragging plus there is no noise from waves.
We have a large island berth in an aft cabin and its great although we can't get ventilation quite as good as a V-berth,
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 21:59   #12

Thanks! more food for thought. Maybe I should open a new thread and label it "Does Anyone Actually Like Their Pullman Berth?"
Old 10-02-2014, 22:03   #13

I truly enjoy the Island Packet 35/350 but it isn't cheap. The resell value is just too good. Here is a newer 2002 well beyond my price bracket with an aft berth maybe I'll go rob a few banks
Old 11-02-2014, 01:22   #14

Boat: Beneteau 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyama View Post
Do you think a cowl vent would do the trick?
No. Airflow through cowl vents is not great. We have two great looking cowl vents but we get most our airflow through the hatches while at anchor.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:45   #15

Boat: Catalina 310

For air flow/stuffiness at anchor, there are wind scopes which definitely help and then it comes down to 12volt fans. Placing them in the right location is the important part. We each have one about 2 feet from our face and then have a larger one setup to move air throughout the cabin.

Some people have ac but I don't think the ac and genset will be in your budget.

Tags
sail, sailboat