Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2014, 09:52   #16

Re: Sailboats With An Open Forward Berth?

Very good response, thank you! I agree they do look very cool. What model do you own? I don't believe jumping over my wife would bother me much as I'm fairly young and spry, however after the one-millionth time, who knows it might start to get to me Being hot and stuffy is a concern since we live here in FL and plan on taking the boat thru the Caribbean. Do you think a cowl vent would do the trick?

The HC38mkII I used to own is in my Avatar to the left. Not sure you can see it but the cowl vents were just aft of the mast and one of them was over the Pullman berth. The other issue is that cool looking wood "wall" with the oval shaped opening that makes up the entry into the Pullman restricts you from getting your legs out of the berth.... especially if you are on the outboard side! That means you not only have to go over your partner to get out, but have to go over their midsections with your legs then hoist your body over to get your legs out first!
My Passport 47 had a pullman also... and ditto! I have slept on charter Beneteau's with a low to the cabin sole pullman that had unrestricted access that was much more comfortable.... albeit still stuffy.
Try this: have your wife lay on the edge of the bed, put chairs along the bed one at her shoulders and one at her knees. Now lay down beside her...then try to get out by going over her and not knocking the chair over... remember, the HC pullman is quite high.. maybe 2.5-3 ft off the cabin sole.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:38   #17

In discussing berth designs, the user's age is an important factor.

My opinions about berth design changed a lot as I passed 50. Human pretzel maneuvers that were easy in my 20's became a lot less practical.

Even with forward V berths, I now much prefer the traditional center cutout notch (with a removable filler board). This makes it much easier to swing your legs to get in and out of the berth.

Do you notice at boat shows they never let you try out a berth
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:19   #18

Boat: The Search Is On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Try this: have your wife lay on the edge of the bed, put chairs along the bed one at her shoulders and one at her knees. Now lay down beside her...then try to get out by going over her and not knocking the chair over... remember, the HC pullman is quite high.. maybe 2.5-3 ft off the cabin sole.
Fun Idea! Haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know how it goes when I do... So the cowl vent didn't do the trick, bummer. This wind scoop idea sounds interesting. I'll have to think about getting or making one.
blueyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:24   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Do you notice at boat shows they never let you try out a berth
The last boat show we went to (about a month ago) in St. Pete we tried out some berths but now that you mention it, they did give us the stank eye!
Old 12-02-2014, 09:38   #20
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Very good response, thank you! I agree they do look very cool. What model do you own? I don't believe jumping over my wife would bother me much as I'm fairly young and spry, however after the one-millionth time, who knows it might start to get to me Being hot and stuffy is a concern since we live here in FL and plan on taking the boat thru the Caribbean. Do you think a cowl vent would do the trick?

The HC38mkII I used to own is in my Avatar to the left. Not sure you can see it but the cowl vents were just aft of the mast and one of them was over the Pullman berth. The other issue is that cool looking wood "wall" with the oval shaped opening that makes up the entry into the Pullman restricts you from getting your legs out of the berth.... especially if you are on the outboard side! That means you not only have to go over your partner to get out, but have to go over their midsections with your legs then hoist your body over to get your legs out first!
My Passport 47 had a pullman also... and ditto! I have slept on charter Beneteau's with a low to the cabin sole pullman that had unrestricted access that was much more comfortable.... albeit still stuffy.
I ditto this. While I did not have a traditional pullman on my old HC48 I had two full side entry births. While they were nice for spreading out at night but when I had a partner it required one of the two of us to climb over the other.

On my old IP485 had a big aft offset centreline queen while I can echo the opinions these are useless at sea they sure are nice at anchor.

On my boat now I have a very large well ventilated V-birth which I will say without going into a story has comfortably slept 3 one lucky evening. And when the going gets rough a pilot birth fit for two which can get a bit stuffy in warmer climates.
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:05   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyama View Post
Fun Idea! Haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know how it goes when I do... So the cowl vent didn't do the trick, bummer. This wind scoop idea sounds interesting. I'll have to think about getting or making one.
Dont get side tracked on the "going over" part!
Wind scoops work very well, they do require a little tending if the winds pipes up or it rains hard. Nothing eaiser than opening or shutting a big v berth hatch that's right over your head. Hear a strange noise? pop out and take a look. Windshift and hear the chaing dragging? pop your head out and take a look.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:31   #22

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

I slept in berth's like the Hans Christian in the navy, it was only good so long as the air conditioning was working. On my boats, a Erickson and a Potter I've had V berths with hatches over them, No air conditioning, but with a wind scoop, they are very comfortable, so long as there is a breeze.
Old 12-02-2014, 19:41   #23

Quote:
Dont get side tracked on the "going over" part!
Wind scoops work very well, they do require a little tending if the winds pipes up or it rains hard. Nothing eaiser than opening or shutting a big v berth hatch that's right over your head. Hear a strange noise? pop out and take a look. Windshift and hear the chaing dragging? pop your head out and take a look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
I slept in berth's like the Hans Christian in the navy, it was only good so long as the air conditioning was working. On my boats, a Erickson and a Potter I've had V berths with hatches over them, No air conditioning, but with a wind scoop, they are very comfortable, so long as there is a breeze.
So I've learned thus far that Pullmans are the following:
1. Generally hotter & stuffier (due mostly to there location)
2. Not very convenient to get out of bed aka jumping over your mate.
3. A v-berth: is generally cooler & one can take look on deck whenever.
4. A v-berth: allows for one to hear the anchor dragging.
5. They look cool but that's about it.

And no one as of yet has said otherwise, hmmm....

Is this true for pretty much anything that isn't a v-berth?
Old 12-02-2014, 20:38   #24
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

hammocks -
they are cool
they swing
they can be folded out of the way
you can fish with them
grrls look good nakid in dem

another open forward boat;

nor'sea 27

SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 04:53   #25

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
hammocks -
they are cool
they swing
they can be folded out of the way
you can fish with them
grrls look good nakid in dem

another open forward boat;

nor'sea 27

I don't think two people will be able to have much, um, fun in a hammock.
Old 13-02-2014, 17:36   #26

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50

Quote:
So I've learned thus far that Pullmans are the following:
1. Generally hotter & stuffier (due mostly to there location)
2. Not very convenient to get out of bed aka jumping over your mate.
3. A v-berth: is generally cooler & one can take look on deck whenever.
4. A v-berth: allows for one to hear the anchor dragging.
5. They look cool but that's about
I have spent many nights in V berths and pullmans and would add the following to the above:

6. V berth provides no back support for reading, excellent support in pullman.
7. I have always used fans in both types of berths and both were at the bow so no ventilation differences.
8. Hate the "swing around without kicking the partner" dance in the V berth and I will never buy another boat that has one where you need to have your feet facing foreward.
9. Pullman requires you to climb over your partner which is not ideal, but better than turning a 180. The pullmans I have used were open over the entire side. Would never have one with restricted access.

Lack of comfortable sleeping accomodations has kept me from trading up to a larger boat. I have a V berth now and won't have another one. I haven't tried a centerline, 2 side access berth yet, but it seems to me to be the only solution that will allow me to part with the cash.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 17:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post

Ref my earlier post on this subject. I disagree. We have a great V berth, with lockers just aft of each side with convenient tops to them, like nightstands at home, and great lighting right above our head on both sides. We also have the largest V berth in any boat of our size.

Most V berths are backed into a bulkhead, so there's plenty to lean back against.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 17:56   #28

Not sure what boats you had? all my V berths had a bulkhead to lean against.
7. I have always used fans in both types of berths and both were at the bow so no ventilation differences.
yeah, I've had fans also, but on mine the big Hatch typically over the V berth provides excellent ventilation if there is any breeze, often too much with a wind scoop. No wind.. yes you need fans for sure.
8. Hate the "swing around without kicking the partner" dance in the V berth and I will never buy another boat that has one where you need to have your feet facing foreward.
9. Pullman requires you to climb over your partner which is not ideal, but better than turning a 180. The pullmans I have used were open over the entire side. Would never have one with restricted access.
Fully open Pullman would be much better for sure, and yeah a V berth exit is a PITA also. I learned to pull the knees up, rotate out and drop the legs to the floor.... works for younger people I guess, not so good for me anymore!
Let's face it, if your boat is big enough and you dont care about ventilation and hearing the anchor, the aft cabin is the closest to being in your bedroom at home!

Old 13-02-2014, 17:58   #29

Boat: Tartan 40
In my opinion cannot understate the ventilation of the forward cabin enough. So many newer boats in our size range have what seems like a very attractive aft queen and a tiny vberth in front which is an afterthought.

All fine until you have to sleep in the summer next to the furnace that is your diesel engine that you ran earlier with minimal ventilation, and at least 1 hatch covered by your dodger.
Then you find out the v berth is tiny. IMHO best to admit that forward is best place to sleep in small/medium boats, and try to find the best compromise berth. I like the newer Catalina (385?) that has a really nice island berth in front where heads go forward....
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 19:15   #30

Pacific Seacraft 31. Shannon 28.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat