Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 16:17   #1

Boat: Bristol 32
Sailboats for Elderly Cruising Couple

Hello all, my parents are looking to getting into the cruising lifestyle after coastal sailing for most of their lives. They are both in their late 50's and not in the best of shape. They are looking for a sailboat, (didn't like the trawler idea) sloop rig preferably for ease of sail handling, and comfertable down below. also a mast height under 65' and draft under 6' so they can do intercoastal.

Some boats ive looked at.
whiby 42
morgan out island 41
o day sloop
42' mariner ketch
bristol 40

they liked the whitby the most, as do i, but am interested in hearing what you guys have to say. so any elderly couples who want to weigh in on their choice of marine transportation?
Maineiac_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 16:33   #2

Boat: Islander 36
Brutally honest whippersnapper.

Electric winches were invented to keep the old folks on the water... I understand. I'll let you know when I get there. I'm only 60 so I can't say yet what it's like to get old, but I hear it ain't for sissies.
Old 06-01-2011, 16:42   #3

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac_sailor
Sailboats for Elderly Cruising Couple
...They are both in their late 50's and
Dude...Wait until you are in your 50's and see if you still call that "elderly".
I vote for the Whitby
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 16:45   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i found a ketch to be easier to handle than a sloop for cruising--- i spent last yr sailin g a sloop all over gulf with a friend--was then anyway-- and i wished to heaven i had had my ketch, as in the sudden squalls, when they hit, one has a LOT more control in a ketch than a sloop-- more and smaller sails, if full keel, better directionality and balance. fullkeel to me is also better as there is not spade rudder to break in accidental grounding on spoils banks... might consider this--mebbe HAVE THEM SAIL OPB WITH YE FOR A BIT SEE WHAT THEY LIKE---- could be they like the ketch with fuller keel and protected rudder and stuff easily repaired--- tiny spaces are difficult for us codgers.... we likes our stuff out and spread so we can see what we got without killing bod to get there. might be they like a cutter with a lil more ability to manage the sails than a sloop in heavy weather.
i have a garden design-- formosa 41. perry designs a really decent cruiser also--look into those as well..goood luck and smooth sailing.

electric winches--yipes--just 2 speed manual self tailing will do well, ty. electric is a bit over the top unless ye hasnt use of hands..... you say they already sail?? what is it they sail now?? how do they manage if they are so old they cant handle it anymore??
my uncle sailed until he was 95 on a gaff rigged racing sloop was and is a registered national historic treasure-but he didnt cruise-- he day sailed. big difference--sailing keeps ye YOUNG.....each of us has preferred kind of sailboat for each kind of sailing. what are they wanting?? d they have a variety if sailboat models under their sailing belt??

i bought my ketch because i own also a sloop--i will not cruise it--is a daysail/weekend tripper- lovely sweet boat. but is not a cruiser--many do cruise ericson 35mII, but i prefer something a little heavier with a bit more distance capability and an attached rudder, and more sails for good balance in storms . hint--ketches usually have shorter masts than sloops and cutters....full keels dont necessarily need to be 6 ft deep-- some are shorter for shorter water....
ps...i solo an d i am 60+..mky former sailpartner is 73 and solo sails. 50???is babies yet.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 16:47   #5

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac_sailor View Post

Some boats ive looked at.
whiby 42
morgan out island 41
o day sloop
42' mariner ketch
bristol 40

Add some catamarans.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 16:59   #6

Boat: H36
I am just a out of shape 64 year old still pretty young & spry. I would recommend a fractional rig boat with RF jib and RF main. I single handle all the time mind you I never sail more than 65 k miles a day. A bit of mass also makes the boat. Motion a lot better. In another 10 years I might up grade to a powered winch handle.
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 17:09   #7

thanks for all the replys, i think the catamarans are out of price range. they sail a 24' seafarer right now. i agree that a ketch has more options as far as reefing quick for squalls etc. but they would like all lines to lead into the cockpit, can the mizzen halyard reef etc be run forward into the cockpit? or doesnt make sense? They really like the whitby's, and we are looking at a few more. put in an offer on one as well.

i think what ever we do, will install at least on electric winch in the cockpit, for halyards, sheeting, etc. also electric windlass.
Old 06-01-2011, 17:09   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

This should get some laughs....
BVI Yacht Sales Ltd.&
Or this
http://uk.yachtworld.com/core/listin...g_id=18824&url=
But I'm totally serious....
Especially about the beneteau.... get real comfortable...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 17:18   #9

u look pretty comfortable in your hammoc!! maybe get them a pocket cruiser w a couple hammocs
Old 06-01-2011, 17:21   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
u look pretty comfortable in your hammoc!! maybe get them a pocket cruiser w a couple hammocs
Thats a Beneteau Oceanis 331.... I love beneteaus.....lol

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 06-01-2011, 17:25   #11

we have chartered a few, and they are great boats, sail well, and have thought out interiors. just cant get over the lines. too modern
Old 06-01-2011, 17:35   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
we have chartered a few, and they are great boats, sail well, and have thought out interiors. just cant get over the lines. too modern
Ah well.... knowing a coupla three of your choices... as a 62yr old... I may be fit... but I'm happily lazy....
Good hunting

Old 06-01-2011, 18:51   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I'm 66, not in the greatest shape but not a total couch potato. Just did a solo TransPac in my Pearson 35.

If you are too old to crank a winch, you are too old to cruise without a younger crewmember along. You may need larger winches but if you have to go electric, you won't have the strength to do the other things that will undoubtedly come up on a cruise.

I'm not all that big a fan of ketch rigs. They may have a smaller main and a slightly smaller headsail but not enough to make up for the performance hit. Roller furling handles a 130 headsail in most conditions. An asymetric spinnaker with an ATN sock is a piece of cake to handle. A slab reefed main with the all the mainsail controls led back to the cockpit is so easy and reliable to handle can't see the need for any other mainsail control paraphenalia.

Have given up my hand windlass for an electric. Didn't do it because I couldn't handle cranking by hand. Find that the electric windlass is just so much easier to deal with, especially single handed. Being able to retrieve the anchor from the cockpit while making sail is a boon to sailing out of crowded anchorages.

I'd lean to the Whitby though have a soft spot for the Bristol 40, the most beautiful affordable production sailboat ever. You might also look at the Pearson 365, 385, 425. The 365 is surprizingly roomy and dirt cheap these days. The Westsail 42/43 are hell for stout boats that have been almost everywhere. If you want a performance cruiser, the Kelly Peterson 44/46 are excellent sailors. The Morgan Out Islands were ugly boats when built and haven't gotten any better looking with age. The design was a gross compromise to keep the draft very shallow which makes them a leeway monster to weather.

Sailing has a way of improving your condtioning, btw. Handling the constant motion of a sailboat on a long passage means you are exercising 24/7 even while sleeping. Know the TransPac didn't help my flab much at all.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 23:19   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Please retract the "elderly" label... they're just punk kids, in the prime of life. Shouldn't need geriatric aids at all.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Towlers Bay, NSW, Oz (about to celebrate my 73rd bd.)
Old 06-01-2011, 23:25   #15

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Steer them back to a "trawler" -- a diesel, single-engined boat designed to cruise at "displacement speed" at most, with nice sleeping accomodations for two, something between 30 and 40 feet in length.

They could get a trawler with a short mast with fore and aft staysails.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising