Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2016, 08:25   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sailboat Refit Costs: Seacocks: How Many and How Much?

I am starting this thread as part of a series focused on identifying some common costs associated with Sailboat Refit.

Why?
Because one of the most common things that happens after a sailor buys a used boat is some level of "refit" to fix or update things. Given the critical role seacocks play in boat safety and operation, it is essential that they be in good working condition. So, it is common to see Seacocks as one of the first major refit projects.
This thread assumes that the buyer replaces ALL of the seacocks on the boat at the same time. That may not always happen, but it is the MAXIMUM effort and cost, so most important for this discussion topic.

Even IF you have not replaced all of your seacocks, please answer the first two questions:

1. Your Boat Model/LOA/Year Built?

2. How many seacocks are on your boat?

My Goal?
Provide a thread where readers can learn by viewing responses to several key questions regarding some common aspects of refitting a sailboat. The purpose is to provide data that can help a boat buyer anticipate the costs associated with these refit projects, and to see that across many different boats and models.

I hope that you will participate, by answering as many of the questions as possible and posting your answers with details that will help. You may add descriptions of products or itemized costs if you wish. The main thing is to answer the core questions.

What is this thread NOT intended to be?
This thread is intended to be in a form of a set of questions and answers for each boat model. It is not intended to be a "how to" or "DIY guide" to the topic. I will soon start another thread focused on the DIY aspects, so please focus your response in this thread to the answering the questions below related to the topic.

Please answer the following questions for your boat:

1. Your Boat Model, LOA, Year Built

2. How many seacocks are on your boat?
While every boat may have some seacock additions or deletions, the point here is to identify HOW MANY are typical for your model of boat.

3. This thread assumes you have replaced your seacocks (all of them). When did replace them (e.g. Soon after purchasing the boat? Before a long voyage?) and Why? (Because of pre purchase survey? Peace of mind? To sell the boat?)

4. Did you do the seacock replacement yourself or use a professional labor?

5. What was the Total Cost for Replacing ALL of your Seacocks?

5A. How much was spent in Parts and what type did you choose (e.g bronze or Marelon or brand and model)?

5B. How much was spent in Labor or how many hours did it take you to do it yourself?

6. Are any of your seacocks very hard to reach or "impossible" to reach quickly?

IF so, where or which ones? Please describe if some are in very difficult to access places in the boat and what their function is too. Which would be the worst or hardest to access in an emergency (boat taking on water)?

7. Have any of your seacocks ever failed? If so, how? Did you find severe corrosion or stuck seacocks or inoperable seacocks? Please describe.

8. What would you do differently in the future? (If you paid someone or DIY, would you do that the same way in the future? Or choose a different method or product?)
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:46   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Sailboat Refit Costs: Seacocks: How Many and How Much?

I am assuming that EVERY sailboat owner has memorized how many seacocks are on his/her boat. I think it should be a number that is memorized and easily shareable (e.g. With crew during an emergency).

And I assume every boatowner will know where the most difficult one to reach (or hidden one) is located so that during an emergency ("taking on water") they can check it or tell crew how to find it and reach it.

So, please post your:

1. Boat Make/Model/Year Built
2. How Many Seacocks your boat has.
3. The Most Difficult to Reach and why.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:55   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

2001 Beneteau 393

13 seacocks on the boat.
Replaced all 13 at one time
used professional company who had 'done hundreds'

*Bought the EXACT replacements from Beneteau.
Cost of parts $1,600
Cost of Labor $1,200

Important note: if you don't buy the EXACT replacement parts you will never fit most of them in. Example: Aft head has a bank of 5 seacocks. I can't see how to do 1, need to do all 5, can't fit all 5 in the space unless they are the original parts.
So when you hear someone say to use Marelon, measure it put first. On any production boat they maybe a difficult for.

Result: I haven't sunk yet.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:54   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
2001 Beneteau 393

13 seacocks on the boat.
Replaced all 13 at one time
used professional company who had 'done hundreds'

*Bought the EXACT replacements from Beneteau.
Cost of parts $1,600
Cost of Labor $1,200

Important note: if you don't buy the EXACT replacement parts you will never fit most of them in. Example: Aft head has a bank of 5 seacocks. I can't see how to do 1, need to do all 5, can't fit all 5 in the space unless they are the original parts.
So when you hear someone say to use Marelon, measure it put first. On any production boat they maybe a difficult for.

Result: I haven't sunk yet.
Mark,
Thanks for participating and posting some good info.
I also appreciate the Important Note you made and hope others will follow your example too.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:11   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

1984 Pearson 422
11 Seacocks.

Originals are WC bronze, tapered plug.

Most are in excellent condition, have replaced one and rebuilt one.

All originals are standard seacocks with room to replace with another standard from another supplier.

Cost. Depends. Replace with new tapered bronze seacocks from Spartan for 1 1/2" replacing the whole assembly: mushroom, seacock and hose adapter about $600 each.

Replace with bronze ball valve seacocks from Groco about half the cost.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:14   #6

Tanton 44 Ft , Taiwan Built 1985.
-11 Seacocks, none were replaced as they were all very big good castings and all Tapered Bronze.
-2 small ones in forward bow under V berth most difficult to reach. These drained 2 in-deck storage boxes. When I lubed and cleaned all the seacocks I took these out, glassed in the holes and used tees and hoses to drain them to another Seacock.
- I never felt as safe as if I had simply left them in with all that hose, clamps and Tees hidden from sight.
Just thought I would pass that on.
a) Good tapered seacocks last forever.
b) Don't over think too much or read too much taking it to heart without thinking it thru yourself.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 15:24   #7

Boat: O'Day 40

1986 O'Day 40

Seacock envy! Only 4!

1 for engine raw water cooling, 1 for galley drain, 1 for head inlet and 1 for black water out. I've switched to a C-head so will use the old head inlet for feeding foot pumps in the galley and head. I'll use the old black water outlet for a water maker feed.

Replaced all with Trudesign seacocks and through-hulls, about $600 Canajun for parts, my labour free. (2 x 3/4", 2 x 1.5")

The old bronze ones were condemned by the surveyor on purchase but upon removal they really were OK.

I'm glad I replaced them for peace of mind. Don't understand why so many people with fiberglass boats want bronze through hulls and seacocks.
Old 04-12-2016, 15:45   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
1984 Pearson 422
11 Seacocks.

Originals are WC bronze, tapered plug.

Most are in excellent condition, have replaced one and rebuilt one.

All originals are standard seacocks with room to replace with another standard from another supplier.

Cost. Depends. Replace with new tapered bronze seacocks from Spartan for 1 1/2" replacing the whole assembly: mushroom, seacock and hose adapter about $600 each.

Replace with bronze ball valve seacocks from Groco about half the cost.
Thanks for adding some good info to the discussion. I found several points interesting.

Eleven (11) seacocks! That is a lot (or seems to me).

Which is the most difficult to service or reach? How difficult?
Old 04-12-2016, 15:48   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Tanton 44 Ft , Taiwan Built 1985.
-11 Seacocks, none were replaced as they were all very big good castings and all Tapered Bronze.
-2 small ones in forward bow under V berth most difficult to reach. These drained 2 in-deck storage boxes. When I lubed and cleaned all the seacocks I took these out, glassed in the holes and used tees and hoses to drain them to another Seacock.
- I never felt as safe as if I had simply left them in with all that hose, clamps and Tees hidden from sight.
Just thought I would pass that on.
a) Good tapered seacocks last forever.
b) Don't over think too much or read too much taking it to heart without thinking it thru yourself.
Thanks for adding your data and your thoughts too.

You have owned a lot of boats. Eleven (11) seacocks seems like a lot to me. Does it to you, based on your experience with the other boats you have owned (I recall a Hans Christian 43 and a Catamaran etc.)?
Old 04-12-2016, 15:48   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

1976 Gulfstar 50 ketch. 11 original in good working order. They have pipe plugs that can be replaced with a grease nipple. Keep them lubed and they work great.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 15:49   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
1986 O'Day 40

Seacock envy! Only 4!

1 for engine raw water cooling, 1 for galley drain, 1 for head inlet and 1 for black water out. I've switched to a C-head so will use the old head inlet for feeding foot pumps in the galley and head. I'll use the old black water outlet for a water maker feed.

Replaced all with Trudesign seacocks and through-hulls, about $600 Canajun for parts, my labour free. (2 x 3/4", 2 x 1.5")

The old bronze ones were condemned by the surveyor on purchase but upon removal they really were OK.

I'm glad I replaced them for peace of mind. Don't understand why so many people with fiberglass boats want bronze through hulls and seacocks.
While I was surprised by two earlier posts that each had 11 seacocks, I am also surprised by yours which has only four (4)!

Interesting.
That smaller number would seem to simplify things in some respects. Thanks for sharing your data too.
Old 04-12-2016, 15:51   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
1976 Gulfstar 50 ketch. 11 original in good working order. They have pipe plugs that can be replaced with a grease nipple. Keep them lubed and they work great.
That is impressive for such an older boat.

Which is the most difficult to service or reach? How difficult?
Old 04-12-2016, 15:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Thanks for adding your data and your thoughts too.

You have owned a lot of boats. Eleven (11) seacocks seems like a lot to me. Does it to you, based on your experience with the other boats you have owned (I recall a Hans Christian 43 and a Catamaran etc.)?
It has a lot to do with things like having two heads instead of one.. Two heads alone = 4 seacocks! Also if the boat has them on cockpit drains. Some boats don't ....which many feel is improper.
two heads=4
galley sink=1
engine inlet=1
cockpit drains =2
Head sinks =1
Deck boxes (eliminated) =2

Old 04-12-2016, 15:57   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It has a lot to do with things like having two heads instead of one.. Two heads alone = 4 seacocks! Also if the boat has them on cockpit drains. Some boats don't ....which many feel is improper.
Thanks for the clear information, which should help others.

Since you mentioned the debatable need for seacocks on cockpit drains, please elaborate on that too, as I think others who read this may learn something from it and it may factor into whether they feel a need for more or less on their own boat they buy.

I am not trying to get off topic, but I do think this may be fitting this thread/discussion since it is related to the number of seacocks.
Old 04-12-2016, 16:01   #15

Cockpit drains: Many feel that any underwater thru hull penetration should be able to be closed in case of a an emergency.

Tags
sailboat, sail, refit