Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2016, 14:39   #61

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Sailboat or trawler ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscook View Post
Hi myself and my wife and daughter have just sold our house and have moved from saskatchewan and are on our way to BC. Our plans were to buy a liveaboard and learn to sail over the next couple of years and once ready sail south down to Mexico then into the Caribbean for a 3 to 4 year cruise. My dilemma is recently I've been looking at a few trawlers and the liveaboard space us appealing, my question is could I do this trip.safely in a trawler, I'm thinking not but your input would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking the extra cost of fuel is a downside but that wouldn't be the deal breaker. I would love to have advice from someone who has done this similar thing. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Hi, Chris,

From what others have written, i think yes, you could do the proposed trip safely in a trawler type yacht. But, being a long time monohullist (is there such a word?), I have a different take on the space issue. Basically, the smaller it is, the less work it is to keep clean, and your daughter will need a space for herself.

Sails are dear, and high quality sails more so. Our average (for the past 13 years) is a little over 4,000 miles per year, of which we spend about 300 hrs. running the engine (~100 hrs of that is stooging around in anchorages and charging batteries and heating). Our diesel heater also is fed from our normal diesel allotment. This boat has an easily driven hull, and our average fuel costs are around $1,100 per year (AUD).

But I think what you're not factoring in is how important it is to you to feel at one with the sea, and I don't think it can come from driving a motor boat down the seaway like a car on the road. It isolates me, unless I'm actually on the helm. One can gain a heightened awareness of the environment with which one is interacting when one is sailing, which although intangible, can be powerful. Do talk with your good lady about it, because she may already have a sense of this as an issue, and perhaps, that involvement may be really important for your daughter, as well.

Ann
Old 24-08-2016, 16:04   #62

Boat: GULFSTAR 53 MOTORSAILER

When I had a catamaran, the Cummins rep told me the same thing, on how hard you should run your diesel motors. So, most of the time I ran on only one motor at a time when cruising. We only used two motors when mooring, or running an inlet. At cruising speed, one engine did not push us much slower than two did.
MAJICDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 16:11   #63

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Isn't living on the typical sailboat like living in a cellar?
Old 24-08-2016, 16:12   #64

Boat: Albin 25

Years ago I day-sailed out of Toronto for a number of years. I charted a BVI mono once and a cat once. My current ride is a 36 hp pocket trawler. So while I don't have a huge amount of sea-faring experience I have sampled a variety of watery craft, often with a woman, none of whom were born-and-bred boat babies. And I will say this: None of them enjoyed spending the day clinging to the rail and spilling tea as the monohull spent the day at a steep angle. That is only fun if you are at the helm. In the cat otoh the kids are in their cabin colouring in a 15 knot breeze as the big folks are enjoying the wind in the hair. But who can afford a cruising cat?

A happy wife is a happy life. 6-7 knots is as fast as anyone tends to travel the long day. If you charter a mono and your wife loves the silent swish over the water and scrambling over a tilting deck, you are a lucky man and should go for it! But make sure first.
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 16:28   #65

I never considered it living in a cellar before, since my salon is 16ft wide, 6'10"headroom, 36x36 hatch in the ceiling, and my pilot house is 10x12 with 6'8"headroom.
I will say that I have less than 1/2 the windage, and 1/2 the air conditioning of a trawler, making it so I only need a generator 1/2 the size and only 1/2 the diesel power to go the same speed.
The hull of my Motorsailer was also made into a trawler. I compared them both, when I made my choice.
Old 24-08-2016, 16:31   #66

I'm sorry that I took that remark a little too personal.
I think "Kar-KEEN-ez Koot" is on the wrong forum.
Old 24-08-2016, 16:37   #67

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

$$$ aside, before making your purchase, suggest you charter a trawler for a few days of offshore cruising. Now the proud owner of a 34 foot heavy displacement trawler, I find there is no comparison in the offshore comfort and livability of the trawler compared to a heavy displacement sailing vessel. The trawler is great in the ICW but get outside with the breeze at 25 or so knots and its a bear just to hang on.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 16:39   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Isn't living on the typical sailboat like living in a cellar?

I haven't found it so at all, but I guess that is because I'm usually outside, either in the cockpit or in the dinghy or ashore doing something or another.
I should state that I do not yet live aboard, and have only spent stints aboard, but I think a whole lot has to do with weather, in warm sunny weather I think going below and getting out of the strong sun is nice and relaxing, but if it were like a Northern European winter type of weather, I can see how it would be depressing and gloomy, but being aboard I find myself often in the cockpit, even when we are not under sail, but almost always if we are, I even do a lot of sleeping there.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 17:31   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
So running those diesels at 25% throttle for hundreds of hours is OK for them?
So long as the engine oil gets up to proper temp. and stays there, there is no harm in running the engine slow. Engine oil temp. is different than water temp. so many trawlers have oil coolers(?) using engine coolant instead of cold sea water. Egret's engine is not sea water cooled and the exhaust is a hot exhaust.

Read "Voyage of Egret". Over 10,000 hrs. on her diesel and still puttering along. One or two circumnavigations over a period of years. They have hydraulic roll fins and are rigged for flopper stoppers.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 18:03   #70

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJICDAN View Post
I think "Kar-KEEN-ez Koot" is on the wrong forum.
Where did that come from?
Old 24-08-2016, 18:25   #71
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Where did that come from?
Your in the write forum. Ignore the basturds.

I agree. It's a basement. And when the boat has teak interior, it's a coffin and a PITA to oil.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 22:13   #72

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seighlor View Post
The trawler is great in the ICW but get outside with the breeze at 25 or so knots and its a bear just to hang on.
Compared to what? I dont sail along for hours on end with my gunwhales in the water.
Why would I move the vessel in 25knots when I could sit in a protected anchorage "living the dream" instead?

When the wind abates to 15 knots or less I will head out and do my 8.5 knots in the direction of my choosing in perfect comfort.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 03:26   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
So running those diesels at 25% throttle for hundreds of hours is OK for them?

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yep.

As long as there is enough load to get the engine up to temperature, there is no real harm. The warnings are usually related to "excessive" use of the engine to charge batteries, particularly if you very rarely actually use the engine for propulsion. The problem is with almost no load, diesel engines are so efficient that they won't reach operating temperatures if they are just idling. By the time you get up to 25% throttle, that's plenty to get them up to temperature.

FYI - third hand info from a random guy on the internet about something they may have heard incorrectly at a presentation years ago, isn't exactly rock solid proof of anything.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 03:34   #74

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

There are alot of literature, and reports by the engine manufacturers that say otherwise, then again they still tell you to use an oil with an api rating from 1960...

Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 03:41   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
There are alot of literature, and reports by the engine manufacturers that say otherwise, then again they still tell you to use an oil with an api rating from 1960...

Dig below the surface and the ones I've come across are talking about far lower throttle settings (yes, diesels don't technically have a throttle) than 25%. It's really the battery charging at anchor for months on end scenario that can lead to issues.

Even in those much more extreme situations, they suggest occasionally running hard for 15-20minutes will take care of the negative aspects. That's really easy to do if you are actually using the motor for propulsion. Every 40-50hrs of run time, ramp up the throttle for 15 minutes if you are concerned about longevity. It will have a negligible impact on your long term MPG.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat, trawler