Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2012, 15:29   #1

Boat: Gle-l 36
Sailboat Interior Layout

Hello there, I am planning to build a 36ft sail boat to use as a liveaboard. It will just be me living there for the moment. So im comming up with different layouts and though it would be cool to see how other peoples boats are laid out! So if you can attach pictures of your interior layout so myself and others can get some ideas!

Thank you all,
Jake
jakegator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 15:43   #2

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36
Re: Sailboat interior layout

Here's ours (IP38)

(click it)
Old 25-01-2012, 15:46   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

From companionway looking forward: on the port - galley, then engine compartment, then saloon, then head, then v-berth. From companionway looking forward on the starboard, couple feet of the quarterberth, galley storage and passage forward, pilot berth on starboard in saloon with drawers and storage underneath, storage and hanging locker opposite head, then v-berth with a small built in seat on the starboard side.
It really is pretty much a standard old school layout with the exception of the engine compartment on centerline and to port just forward of the galley and aft of the saloon. 11'2" beam so not much room to get really adventurous.
My advice is to not go too wild in design that you don't put off any future owners and it'd be good to visit a few 36 footers to see if the design will fit your needs and then copy it while adding your touches.
kind regards,
Old 25-01-2012, 16:35   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegator View Post
Hello there, I am planning to build a 36ft sail boat to use as a liveaboard. It will just be me living there for the moment. So im comming up with different layouts and though it would be cool to see how other peoples boats are laid out! So if you can attach pictures of your interior layout so myself and others can get some ideas!

Thank you all,
Jake
As you can see from my avatar the current layout is 2 seats, no head, no galley, no berths, nothing else really.

My 2 favorite layouts are:
Alajuela 33 - ALAJUELA 33 sailboat on sailboatdata.com
Cal 43 - CAL 43 sailboat on sailboatdata.com

The commonality between them is that both have quarterberths and settee berths, the galley sink is on or near center line and there is a head to doff wet gear into right at the bottom of the companion. The Cal has an additional 2 pilot berths so 6 people have good seaberths underway. Both boats are laid out well for cruising with a number of people aboard. I have a wife and 2 kids so this is a major consideration for me. In order to fit the pilot berths in you would need a boat with 11' beam at the mid point of the pilot berths.

If you are really intending to only liveaboard and not make any passages then the field is wide open.

If you are going to liveaboard and want to make some passages of modest lenth with only 2 or 3 aboard then consider:

Cal 34 - CAL 34 sailboat on sailboatdata.com

With 2 quarterberths you still have to very good seaberth underway. The U-dinette and long galley are more oriented for living aboard and socializing but at the cost of decreased utility on passage. The sink is going to want to flood from outside on one tack and you have to tromp all the way forward to leave wet gear in the head. The alternative is to leave boots sticking out of bibs next to compaionway ala fireman practice and to find a place for the jacket there to so it doesn't drip into boots and bibs or onto anything else.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 16:37   #5

Hi,

I had a Charlie Morgan classic 34. In the 16 years that I had her, I did a lot of refitting including a total interior gut and rebuild including a new foredeck ground tackle locker.

Here are some things I learned:

Topside design impacts the interior in a big way. I had a lazarette big enough to get in which was magnificent for storage and a great place for the propane since I was able to vent it out the scuppers below the tank! There were cockpit lockers and I cut a panel out of the foredeck as close to the stem as possible and it was another very useful place for salty nasties.

These features keep salty wet stuff out of the interior. What I did not have which I really wanted was a wet locker for foulies right at the companionway in the main saloon. That is going to be a tricky design problem for you but totally worth it if you can figure out how to do it. Being able to doff and don your weather gear">foul weather gear is going to keep things below a lot more - civilized.

Traditionally the galley is to port but the reason is so archaic as to be irrelevant these days. Just make the ice box uber insulated and have a way to vent the stove straight up to release unwanted heat. Look into aerogel for your ice box and study the science of insulation. Every little way you keep heat out of the ice box translates directly into greater leisure. Forget about a genset or refrigeration on a yacht that size unless you want to ship one of those Honda generators. They work very well and are quiet. I ran a small portable AC with one for summer tropic cruises. I could go 10 days with fresh milk with that ice box.

One thing I added that I really loved was a pilot berth. This is an aft quarter berth. Super handy for stowage and snug no matter which tack you are on as you can brace yourself either on the hull or the engine bulkhead and sleep with your head right at the companionway. You can trick it out with a compass that mounts to the overhead.

You will have to put the master salon forward and so it communicates with the head - with privacy. Oh - definitely put a freshwater hose in the cockpit so you may shower there as well.

As for the rest of the layout, keep it simple and easy to clean. I actually made it so I could pull out the cushions and hose down the interior everywhere possible.

Fresh water is a precious commodity. Carry as much as you can.
xiabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 17:30   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

For a liveaboard I would always go for a barge - stability, space and simplicity.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 17:46   #7

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I think one of the first things to give thought to is how you will cruise, how many people will typically join you and how many state rooms that requires.

I think the best layout I've seen on a 36-footer was two state rooms aft, each kind of like an over sized quarterbirth, galley and head each side after coming down the salon sets. Typical settee forward of that with straight seats. (curved may be ergonomic, but make louse sea berths.) and a v-birth forward.

A few other features I really like on boats:

Gravity fed holding tank with seascock drain, easily accessible - such as under the vanity in the head.

Mainsail jiffy reefing sail bag system. Roller furling headsail

Self tailing winches.

Enough drop under the windlass to ensure it has adequate "pull" and does not jam.

Reliable autopilot.

I believe the steaming light can be placed at 6 feet up and still be legal on a boat that size, making it much more accessible.

If I have pressurized water, I'd provide hot water at the cockpit shower.

I'd give a lot of thought to pressurized water in general - It's convenient, but potentially wasteful and more problematic.

Davits.

solar and wind power generation.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 18:58   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

This is what mine is like except just forward of the galley before the saloon is an engineroom Mine is a 42. This one pictured is the Cascade 36. You have to consider that some 36s are narrow beam and low freeboard which makes a lot less room in the interior.
Old 25-01-2012, 19:05   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWJensen View Post
Here's ours (IP38)

(click it)
Show off..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior, sailboat