Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 18:47   #31

I will admit I have never owned a swing keel boat but the San Juan's seem like somewhere it would not make any sense just look at any chart you go more or less from 200 feet to 20 and you are in the anchorage. Especially with all the parks mooring buoys. My 2c
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 20:13   #32

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Sailboat for san juan islands washington

Well if you are wanting a boat appropriate for the San Juans then a San Juan 28 or San Juan 34 would be most appropriate.

SAN JUAN 28 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
SAN JUAN 34 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Realistically they wouldn't be bad boats.

Not being a big fan of Pilothouses, a dodger will provide adequate if not sterling protection.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 20:40   #33

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

I like swing keels. I still own a 23 mono with one and they do have advantages. There are many shallow areas and bays, especially in the Gulfs where you can have a tidal cove to yourself if you can dry out. They let you take more chances sailing and get away with it when exploring. Plus there are areas just south in Puget Sound where they can really be handy.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 21:12   #34

If you are going that route then that French aluminum twin keel cornel was running around in would be the cats meow. You could live on the false cove at Doe bay for a month in that.
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 21:15   #35

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDanesrule View Post
Nice to hear we have good marinas on orcas. The place i am moving is in crow valley about 1 mile from westsound marina. But all the marinas are close on orcas island! The cheoy lee in this class are nice boats. Your friend can send me info on the boat but i must say the delamination issues of these teak decks and the rehab work to get these boats up to speed is a major undertaking. The final result is one nice sailboat that i hear handles pretty well. I just finished motor overhaul in my fishing boat so engines are not to big a deal. Always nice to see classic boats and i even have a barn for a boat shop too! Thanks for your response geoduck
If you are living on the Island, just get yourself a good trailer sailer. It's all you need to goof off in the San Juan's. I've been all over in my 20' Nimble and had a bawl and the little boat can take anything you can as far as weather go's. Cheap to run too - go's 10 miles an hour & gets about 10 miles to the gallon - park it in the yard when youre done with it. No big moorage bills. My 48'er is another story!
I fished from Craig to Yakatat for 7 years in my troller - now I want to go back up in the ketch and play. Not looking like a good weather deal this year.
I think I;ll stay close and call it good this season and get ready for the Woodenboat show.
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat, san juan islands, Washington