Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 10:24   #1

Sailboat Engine Noise Makes Me Nervous

The Sailboat vs powerboat question comes up and has been answered many times but my reason for not likeing sailboats (although they are my preference for enjoying a journey) is the sound of their motor! When in a more powerfully powered boat the engine noise sounds rich and robust to me-like it should and I dont have any problem with that. But going slow with an underpowered engine at max 8 knots makes me feel tense.

Is this best solved by insulation or having a bigger motor? Do any sailors insulate their engines for noise? Do other people not like that underpowered engine noise?

I look forward to your posts
halsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:21   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Sailboat engine noise makes me nervous

8 knots? Slowing down a tad would help quieten things down! a Yacht (with a keel) is a displacement boat so more power won't ever get her onto a plane, to go semi-displacement for a 35 foot motorboat would need several hundred HP at least, and that with the benefit of a hull designed to do that. and no deep and heavy sailboat keel! Average sail boat motor is not even in 3 digits of HP and often enough IRO 30 to 70hp........so once at hull speed all you are doing is flogging the motor to no great effect, if any. (apart from the increased noise and vibration - as the boat tries to litterally plough straight through solid water! - to go faster than displacement speed a boat needs to go over the water!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:32   #3

I think the OP is pretty much a troll. How did your plan to travel between 24 countries on a jet ski work out?
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:41   #4

Boat: Triangle 32, center-cockpit ketch

Sounds like maybe a change in perspective will be required! As already stated, hull speed is the limit - any power over that point is simply wasting fuel to make noise and vibration.
If you want that sound of power you describe, you're going to have to get it in a power boat. If you really enjoy sailing, you'll have to put your self on island time, slow it down to, say, 75% of the boat's theoretical hull speed, and enjoy the ride - there ain't no other way. Yes, sound-proofing helps a little, but it won't make enough difference (at a reasonable cost) to make your nervousness disappear.
kjdavie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:53   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I think the OP is pretty much a troll. How did your plan to travel between 24 countries on a jet ski work out?
The "play nice" rule means folks get the benefit of the doubt. sometimes a bit too much ..........but nonetheless even if intended as a troll IMO a fair enough question for a Newbie to ask - hence me answer.....one of the problems with creating a troll post that will run (rather than be ignored) is that a thread will often start to generate useful info - the thread starter becoming irrelevant (and CF pretty good at zapping trolls who are "managing" a thread ).

I half remember that Jet ski thread (admittedly not the OP) - IIRC the intended voyage by jet ski had already been done (or as good as), as well as a few more challenging ones. 20 years too late to be "special".....but nonetheless threw up some interesting info . (mostly around why not to bother mind! - but many of us like to simply chew the fat over all manner of boat related things, being not likely to ever happen being a minor detail!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:06   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

our lil sailboat tractor and truck engines are a lot different than those big bore honkers power yachts use....ours bang an d clang an d go bump in the night, and theirs are hot n heavy sex machines.
sailors rely on silence for our turn on....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:15   #7

Have you noticed that the engine is always much noisier when you start it AFTER sailing, than it was on the way out of the marina?
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:28   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Halsar, if you were a sailor you would know that sailboat engines are REALLY quiet... when you hoist the sails and turn the bloody engine off. If you really need the throb and bellyshake from a big engine on a sailboat, I suggest an ipod with a recording of such a beast and good earphones. That way you can be happy without annoying the rest of the world.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 12-02-2013, 13:46   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

I always thought the sailboat engines were installed in just such a way as to make enough noise to bug you!

This is a good thing done on purpose to remind you that it is a SAILBOAT and you should plan on SAILING and not motoring!
Old 12-02-2013, 14:13   #10

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I've never felt like we're underpowered at 15,000 lbs and 28 hp. The engine is able to push the boat a wee bit faster than theoretical hull speed.

And yes, insulating the engine compartment is common!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 14:34   #11
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Sounds like you need a '69 Charger with a couple of life jackets in the trunk.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 14:44   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsar View Post
The Sailboat vs powerboat question comes up and has been answered many times but my reason for not likeing sailboats (although they are my preference for enjoying a journey) is the sound of their motor! When in a more powerfully powered boat the engine noise sounds rich and robust to me-like it should and I dont have any problem with that. But going slow with an underpowered engine at max 8 knots makes me feel tense.

Is this best solved by insulation or having a bigger motor? Do any sailors insulate their engines for noise? Do other people not like that underpowered engine noise?

I look forward to your posts
Yes using the motor in my sailboat was as a noisy, vibrating, fatiguing affair and one that use to make me pause to fire the diesel up when the wind died. Then I converted to electric propulsion five years ago and my motoring and sailing experiences have been completely enhanced in a very positive and quiet way. Motoring is almost as quiet as sailing now. Personally, I would never go back to having a diesel on board.
Old 12-02-2013, 14:53   #13

Boat: Steelaway 35

Checkout Aquadrive antivibration system for your engine. Welcome to Aquadrive It'll help isolate vibration noise transfer from your engine to your boat.

Beyond that you can apply Silent Running sound dampening paint (http://silentcoating.com/) to the engine compartment and insulate the floor or walls with soundtec foam insulation boards ( Sound Insulation - Vinyl Foam Barrier Composite - Soundtec | Fisheries Supply)

I hope that helps. With a little bit of extra work you can get your engine running quietly so it's more tolerable during longer running times.
Steelaway35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 15:53   #14

Especially to Mark-

Planning that 24 country PWC trip gave me something to look forward during a really dark time for me. And your right I didn't do the trip as presented-However, I did get to do a smaller trip (and may I add with a new honey) instead of alone and probably enjoyed myself (in a trip I didn't have to do solo) much more as a result. I come here to learn, share, and dream....I'm thankful to have such an outlet. I'm aslo thankful for a place where you don't get beheaded for falling short on your dreams.

I appreciate the feedback I receive. Thanks all for giving me the benefit of the doubt and sharing your opinions, experience, and knowledge.

H
halsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 16:01   #15

You need an older substantial slow turning diesel, not a yanmar buzzing along at 3400 rpm?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, noise, sailboat