Well, we went and had the boat surveyed yesterday and went out for a sea trial. Turns out apparently the original owner had the same thoughts about sailing as I did. Instead of having the stock 150% genoa
, he had the sail cut down to a 110% jib
with an assymetric spinnaker
in a sock.
The boat seemed to sail well with the 110%, we were beating in 15knots of apparent with boat speeds averaging around 6.3 knots, we peaked out at 6.8 knots. I wasn't able to get a reading on true wind speed once we were sailing, but I believe it was around 8-9 knots. This isn't corrected for current
though, which I believe was probably helping us along at around 1 knot
on our beam. The boat was heeling around 20 degrees and the helm
was nice and balanced. I think any more wind and reefing the main might be called for.
Speaking of which, the boat had a 2 line reefing setup, but both lines were still run to the cockpit
. I think it'd be pretty easy to rerun the lines for a single
line reefing setup, which would do away with 2 of the lines in the cockpit