Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 12:08   #1

Sail from Galena, Maryland to Sandy Hook, NJ

Sailors;

I'm condidering bringing a sailboat with a draft of 4'4" from Galena to Sandy Hook alone which is about 170 miles. Any advice on routes to take/avoid is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mike
MikeMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:56   #2

Re: Sail from Galena, Maryland to Sandy Hook, NJ

I'd go north, then through the C & D canal then down DE bay. Just time the current through the canal so it's going with you if possible.

Sent from my XT1030 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 14:11   #3

pirate Re: Sail from Galena, Maryland to Sandy Hook, NJ

Are there any shallow parts of the C&D Canal to be aware of?

Once I round Cape May the best thing is stay in the Atlantic and enter through Egg Harbor and exit at Barnegat or Manasquan Inlets? Or is it better to stay in the Atlantic the whole time?

The boat I'll be handling is a 30' Pearson with a 13 HP diesel.

Mike
MikeMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 15:05   #4

The canal is fine. Just stay in the middle and watch out for all the commercial boats. The DE bay is shallow so make sure you have a GPS and a watch the markers. If the wind is right and the weather is holding I would stay outside and enjoy the ride. If it's not, inside is more protected of course.

Sent from my XT1030 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 15:14   #5

You should be able to cut the corner and cruise through the Cape May canal. There's a 50ft fixed bridge. The harbor has good anchorage and several marinas for food, fuel, and ice.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
RayD253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 15:30   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayD253 View Post
You should be able to cut the corner and cruise through the Cape May canal. There's a 50ft fixed bridge. ............
Check this carefully and be sure of your vertical clearance. My data and frequent passage shows that the two fixed bridges in the Cape May Canal are listed at 55'MHW; however there are frequent tides above mean high that have caused me to wait in order to pass with my 54'. I have a 4'3" draft and depending upon weather I have entered at Absecon Inlet at Atlantic City (good anchorage inside rum Point) and proceeded to pass out at Manasquan Inlet with care taken at the shallowest point where there is soft mud north of Mantoloking Bridge. Also care should be taken passing through the Point Pleasant Canal. Contact the two bridges here ahead of time and be mindfull of the strong current. If the weather is nice, it's a better choice to sail from Cape May to Sandy Hook.

I have been hesitant to take the inside route from Absecon Inlet to Mannasquan Inlet since Hurricane Sandy. I would hope someone with recent local knowledge would add information here concerning the navigation through Barnegat Bay after Hurricane Sandy.

Cape May, Manasquan and Absecon inlets are excellent. Barnegat Inlet is marginal and I would not recommend Egg Harbor Inlet.

Tags
Maryland, sail