Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2009, 20:01   #1

Boat: Islander 30
Sail a 33' from South Pacific to Central America?

I would like to hear from anyone who has made the trip from the S. Pacific to Central Amercia (actually, any of the Americas would be of interest). I will have a J/33. Not the ideal boat, I know. I just want to know if it can, or even should, be done. I have researched it some, but I would like to hear some first hand experience information. Fuel, food, wind, currents, time of year,...

Thanks!!
GeorgeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 22:49   #2

Well, I'm a J-boats fan for racing and coastal cruising their smaller boats, but I don't think the J33 is well suited for the kind of voyage you are contemplating. It lacks cockpit protection and the tankage is inadequate, for example. With considerable modification, it might be OK.

Also, I think winds and current might not be very favorable for sailing east to South America, but I could be wrong about that.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 23:39   #3

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I did Sydney - Tahiti- Hawaii-Alaska_Central America many years ago. I would want a strong boat, length is not a measure of whether a boat is adequate or not.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 07:54   #4

Boat: Islander 30
Thanks, guys. Yes, I know there are quite a few things working against this kind of boat for this kind of voyage. My boat does have some cockpit protection. Yes, fuel and water would be an issue, but with modifications, those could be increased. Not too much, I wouldn't think, but more than it is now.

Thanks for the input!
GeorgeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 15:18   #5

Boat: contessa 32
all that distance with much to windward?in a lightly built in shore racer? all things are possible but you will need some luck. i try to make my passages so i do not require good luck, but rather i get there in spite of bad luck.anyway good luck!
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 17:18   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
this is an el nino year--currents and winds are different than usual--more storms this winter and such--be safe and please research well before you try this---i know there are folks who sail little tiny boats to and from places no one will take them--like a catalina 27 around the world!!! name was my sweet lord--prolly said that repeatedly all the way around---good luck and sacrifice something worthy to the gods of the sea!!!! goood luck.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:48   #7

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI
Arrow SOUTH PACIFIC TO CARIB

Pacific side of Panama canal is considered SOUTH PACIFIC and the Carib side is the CARIBEAN, so all you have to do is transit the Panama Canal which you can do under engin in one day.

If your in Tonga, I would suggest sailing North to Hawaii, West to California, South to Panama and then transit.[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/a/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Central America, South America, south pacific