Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 14:13   #1

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Saga 35

I'm looking for a mid-sized (35-38 ft) cruising boat that is easy to singlehand and the Saga 35 has caught my eye. It's a Bob Perry design, relatively light and narrow with a long waterline and a solent rig (which I like). The interior may be a bit small.

I've read a couple of positive reviews, but I don't trust the sailing press (except for Practical Sailor). Does anyone have first hand experience with these boats?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 16:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Re: Saga 35

Spec wise a light tall rig that looks well put together. She ain't ugly either. Interior done quite well at least to my eye. I looked at the 3 yachtworld posts and they seem similar. For a 2002 boat it's probably priced right - obviously close. A good survey would settle the deal. If it was well taken care of it's a good choice. If the owner neglected it for 3 years run away.

There are better, newer, more expensive boats. It's more about what you want than what anyone else says. Personally, I like a good Canada boat If you want someone to bad mouth it I suppose there might be someone. I think a 35/36 could work for you. Our 36 is a bit heavier displacement so hauls more crap and not as fast. A few inches wider and a tad LOA more.

I would compare it to other boats you could actually get on and look at and write an offer on. Theoretical boats are always more appealing though never available or for sale. You need to like it too. Any boat you don't like is a bad choice. Have you dated other boats yet?
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 17:44   #3

Yes, I've looked at the usual suspects: Tartans, Sabres, Ericsons, various 38's, Niagaras, even a few multihulls. I've looked at Gozzards and Bayfields too, but I would prefer something other than a full keeler with a bowsprit. Been there, done that. I want something that points a little better.

From the specs it looks like the Saga 35 will be initially tender (narrow boat with a rounded chine and a skinny arse), but maybe it will lock in at 15 degrees of heel or thereabouts. Does anyone know?
Old 08-05-2011, 18:39   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If it is a Perry design, ask him! He posts regularly on CF, and can be reached through his web site or by phone. Do a search... he is a very helpful chap.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 09-05-2011, 03:31   #5

Bob Perry has been dealing with other issues (death of his son) so I'd prefer not to bother him now. But if he's here and would like to comment, I would obviously welcome his thoughts.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:39   #6

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

I owned a Saga 43 and know its little sister pretty well. The 43 is rather tender initially and probably heels more than most in similar conditions- probably 20 degrees in 18 kts, any more and you want to reef. It does point like a freight train and will outsail most boats even 5' longer, except for a J.

It has a large SA/disp and a small Disp/lwl both of which contribute to the performance. The Solent rig is one of Perry's better ideas. It really works although you have to furl the genny to tack. But as compensation you get a self tacking jib. a

The 43 was built too light and I think they strengthened the main bulkhead in later (after 2001) models. Would have also helped to up the laminate schedule in the cabin superstructure and/or tabbed the furniture. Don't know if this applies to the 35- you probably would have to buy Bob a beer to find out.

If you do make an offer, make sure you have some serious wind when you seatrial her. In anything above 15 kts it SOUNDED like a freight train when you are down below hard on the wind due to the cabin flexing and groaning.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:20   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Bob Perry has been dealing with other issues (death of his son) so I'd prefer not to bother him now. But if he's here and would like to comment, I would obviously welcome his thoughts.
Curm - the best place to find Mr. Perry is at Sailing Anarchy, in the Cruising Anarchy section. It's really his home base. Post your question there and I'll bet you a case of scotch you'll get exactly what you're looking for.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:27   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yes, I've looked at the usual suspects: Tartans, Sabres, Ericsons, various 38's, Niagaras, even a few multihulls. I've looked at Gozzards and Bayfields too, but I would prefer something other than a full keeler with a bowsprit. Been there, done that. I want something that points a little better.

From the specs it looks like the Saga 35 will be initially tender (narrow boat with a rounded chine and a skinny arse), but maybe it will lock in at 15 degrees of heel or thereabouts. Does anyone know?
Not directly, no, but as the owner of a 33 footer with similar characteristics, your instincts are correct: some initial tenderness and then she heels to a very typical point and blasts off.

In my opinion, based on the other members of the Saga line and the fact that if I won a lottery, I would buy a Saga 43 or 48 in a heartbeat. They are in the top tier of performance cruisers of that vintage and the Saga 35 is comparable to J-Boats, Beneteau Firsts and that ilk. A good choice for fast cruising, but not necessarily for ocean cruising. Might make a good point to point racer, however. Good luck.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote