Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2016, 08:27   #1

Boat: Rafiki 37
Safely taking a 1980 36' hunter around the world

I posted this a few months ago on a different forum and got some great feedback, so I thought I'd post it again on CF as it tends to be a different crowd here.

Two years ago I bought a boat, having never set foot on one before. Since then I've been learning to sail on it and upgrading it like crazy. As I get closer to my leave date in 2 years, I am wondering what else I need to do to get my boat up to scratch to safely go around the world. Am I missing anything? I'd really like some input.

I'm trying to plan my upgrade schedule this year and I was wondering if anyone had any input into priorities etc. I am also trying to get out sailing as much as possible, and plan to take a month off work and circumnavigate Vancouver island in August. My previous longest trip was a two week trip around the san juan islands and the juan de fuca strait. I've sailed (deliberately) through a few gales with winds up to 40 knots as a test - though the seas have all been small. No real swells.

The boat is a Hunter 1980 36' sloop from the Cherubini era, with a fin keel, and a spade rudder protected by a small skeg. It's pretty heavily built, and the keel bolts seem sound - no water ingress from the bilge while underway or egress from the bilge when hauled out.

Really, I think I'm looking for reassurance that I can safely take this boat offshore and be comfortable. I am wary of it being an OAB (Old Ass Boat) and hope I have mitigated that

Currently I've

- replaced standing rigging (inc a brand new furler)
- replaced running rigging (aside from halyards which I will do later)
- added a spinnaker pole for DDW sailing
- checked the bulkhead tabbing
- added radar/AIS transponder
- redone all exterior/interior lights with LEDs
- ripped out entire AC/DC wiring system, redone with heat shrink crimps, tinned marine wire and a new panel
- redone entire plumbing system
- in the middle of building a windvane
- in the middle of installing an autopilot
- added a diesel heater
- redid all mast wiring from scratch
- replaced VHF antenna and added a DSC VHF radio
- replaced all portholes with stainless steel NFM ones
- new chain and a 45lb mantus
- replaced rotten compression post
- new prop shaft/prop
- replaced steering cables/rudder stuffing box

I plan to

- replace all chainplates
- replace lifelines
- add jacklines
- add solar panels (and maybe a wind genny)
- add lithium battery system
- rewire engine electrical harness
- recore deck in soft areas
- redo non-skid (kiwigrip?) and gelcoat
- add a marine SSB (probably a icom802)
- replace sails
- add liftraft
- add EPIRB
- add jordon series drogue
- add trysail somehow/maybe just a heavy 3rd reef

Is there anything I'm missing?
Old 22-03-2016, 08:41   #2

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Re: Safely taking a 1980 36' hunter around the world

Not that I am an expert ,but, having your keel bolts checked would be a high priority for me. I would also try to add a removable staysail rig to supplement your roller furled Genoa. Also attachment points on both sides of the helm for a harness.
Old 22-03-2016, 09:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Safely taking a 1980 36' hunter around the world

I'll second the keel bolts.. have them drawn and checked.. and while on the hard drop the rudder and check the tube/bearings etc..
Otherwise sounds good.. took a 37c across the Atlantic without any upgrading at all, so the Cherubini is tough enough for the job

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 09:17   #4

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36

Redundant bilge pumps?
Old 22-03-2016, 09:17   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

I think the bolts are cast into the lead keel and cannot be removed, so I guess that means dropping and resealing the keel?

Good to head about taking the 37c across the atlantic - I am jealous of the cutter rig and separate shower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul54 View Post
Redundant bilge pumps?
I have 2 automatic ones, the shower sump, a manual hand pump in cockpit and a manually activated electric one I use to get the last bit of water out. So I guess 5 in total.

I'm paranoid.
Old 22-03-2016, 09:31   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A second anchor. Perhaps heavier, for storms.

Along with the SSB remember to budget for the antenna tuner and antenna, and if you need installation, all of that can double the cost of the SSB alone.

Beneteau can tell you for sure, but I think that if you have a rare old Beneteau with a lead keel, yes, the bolts will be J-bolts embedded in the keel. If what you can see looks clean and is tight (you can torque test the nuts) I wouldn't drop the keel without good reason.

You do have a good manual bilge pump permanently installed in the cockpit? Or if not, a Whale Gusher or similar mounted to a board for "portable" use, with enough smooth-wall hose and a strum box, so you can use that if all the electrics go out.

You might also want to convert the nav lights & cabin lights to LED if they aren't already. Save you from an inconvenient trip aloft at sea, and cut your power consumption nicely.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 09:49   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
A second anchor. Perhaps heavier, for storms.

Along with the SSB remember to budget for the antenna tuner and antenna, and if you need installation, all of that can double the cost of the SSB alone.

Beneteau can tell you for sure, but I think that if you have a rare old Beneteau with a lead keel, yes, the bolts will be J-bolts embedded in the keel. If what you can see looks clean and is tight (you can torque test the nuts) I wouldn't drop the keel without good reason.

You do have a good manual bilge pump permanently installed in the cockpit? Or if not, a Whale Gusher or similar mounted to a board for "portable" use, with enough smooth-wall hose and a strum box, so you can use that if all the electrics go out.

You might also want to convert the nav lights & cabin lights to LED if they aren't already. Save you from an inconvenient trip aloft at sea, and cut your power consumption nicely.
Unless your being sarcastic about Bene's.. he'd be better off contacting Hunter Yachts methinks..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 22-03-2016, 10:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Unless your being sarcastic about Bene's.. he'd be better off contacting Hunter Yachts methinks..
According to the internet, all who have boarded a Hunter have perished in the process.

Mostly this happens while in the marina slip which is where they should always be.

Once berthed, they should then only be viewed from the dock while wearing the appropriate protective equipment.

Some models have slightly higher survival rates but that is mostly a function of décor and canvas color.

Please do not even post photos unless they have been redacted first.

Most owners buy a second boat to use while waiting for the inevitable to occur.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 10:02   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Funny, I thought it said "Beneteau" when the page loaded here. Or maybe I rashly assumed that when folks starting talking about removing keel bolts, I've only seen "keel bolts" that can be removed from the inside on the Beneteau cast iron keels.
Must need more drugs.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 12:25   #10

Think I'd skip on the LiOn batteries and gelcoat. A lot of money for that boat, not that there is anything wrong with it. I'd save the money on the gelcoat until you get back from cruising!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 12:34   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
According to the internet, all who have boarded a Hunter have perished in the process.
Yes, I agree. That's why I doubt you'll get good advice here.

You seem to have a huge list of stuff you've done and more to go too.

I think you are certainly in overkill, fear mode.

Perhaps you should close your wallet and go for a nice relaxing Easter Cruise.
If its still too cold to sail, just take a bunch of cold beers and veg out abord wherever you are.

Mark

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 12:42   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Old 22-03-2016, 13:00   #13
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

I think you are certainly in overkill, fear mode.
That's what internet forums are best at maintaining!
Old 22-03-2016, 13:03   #14

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Is there anything I'm missing?
You haven't reinforced the hull yet, and there's not a lot of prepping for the zombie apocalypse.

Quote:
I'm looking for reassurance that I can safely take this boat offshore
Offshore you'll be fine.

On the hard, it's a different story - there's a reason most sailors & cruisers die on the hard and not at sea.
Old 22-03-2016, 14:50   #15

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
I posted this a few months ago on a different forum and got some great feedback, so I thought I'd post it again on CF as it tends to be a different crowd here.

Really, I think I'm looking for reassurance that I can safely take this boat offshore and be comfortable. I am wary of it being an OAB (Old Ass Boat) and hope I have mitigated that
Offshore and comfortable do not always appear in the same sentence, especially with a 36 ft boat. One of my recommendations is that you get a few offshore experiences in different conditions just to see how you and the boat hold up when pressed hard on multi-day runs. There's a world of difference between offshore and inshore, especially when the wind is blowing 20+.

Other than that, make sure you have one good sea berth with lee cloths; a galley strap for food prep and navigation; and plenty of hand holds both below and on deck. I'd also recommend some redundancy with auto pilots, along with some other form of self steering. They are a common failure point and make a world of difference to comfort, safety and fatigue reduction.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, round the world