Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2016, 11:05   #31

Re: Safely taking a 1980 36' hunter around the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmczzz View Post
I applaud you for your courage in posting your plans / boat / refit here on this forum. A circumnavigation should not scare you after this.
James
sooo true!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 11:12   #32

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

I hate to comment on these things but with my nearly 60 years of boating experience, and as a boat builder and marina owner, I would NEVER reccomend to anyone that they sail a Hunter around the world! They are barely made to be a boat, let alone a deep water around the world cruiser! Either get a real boat or stay close to land, for your own sake.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 11:26   #33
CLOD

Boat: none

Took longer than normal!
Old 23-03-2016, 11:53   #34

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
I hate to comment on these things but with my nearly 60 years of boating experience, and as a boat builder and marina owner, I would NEVER recommend to anyone that they sail a Hunter around the world! They are barely made to be a boat, let alone a deep water around the world cruiser! Either get a real boat or stay close to land, for your own sake.
Why?
This is a link to an old brochure for a Hunter 36.
I’m a kiwi and Hunter’s have never been available in NZ. A gather from the post above and numerous others that I’ve read over many years that Hunter boats are total crap and to be avoided. So why is the firm building them still in business?
Old 23-03-2016, 11:55   #35

Boat: Scout 30

I agree with the second forestay for a storm jib. I'd also get a tri sail & a drogue. Also, make sure the tether on your harness is short enough to keep you on deck. Being drug outside the lifelines is a bad way to go. Speaking of lifelines make them high & heavy duty. If you stay on board you don't have to get back on board. However, if you do fall in you also need a way to get back on board from the water. I'd bring a life sling & an emergency boarding ladder. If you don't have a dinghy yet I consider the Portland Pudgy. It rows, motors & sails, is unsinkable & has an option that turns in into a "lifeboat".
Dynamic Lifeboat or Passive Life Raft? Portland Pudgy
http://www.jordanseriesdrogue.com/D_1.html
Lifesling2 Rescue Sling
Wichard Emergency Boarding Ladder
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 11:59   #36

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

In respect to the OP in question. The nature of Alctel‘s post and the questions raised are very common on this forum.

There are always a significant number of proven cruising boats on the market and 30-35 mono cruisers have never been cheaper.

A few weeks ago someone on the forum made a reference to this article at morganscloud.com. The article was written by a Mr Mick O'Flanagan and I read his words with interest. He and his wife bought an old fero boat and went cruising. They've subsequently sailed 70,000 miles, including a trip to Greenland. Here are a couple of extracts:

“I am at a loss to understand why folks buy a boat, then spend thousands making changes whilst using up the one thing they can’t replace: their lives. Perhaps if the boat requires so much time and money it’s the wrong boat?

However, we did go cruising and, some 70,000 miles later, we still do not possess any of those items deemed necessary. Rather than fit out a boat for a lifestyle we had no idea we would like, we simply opted to try the lifestyle and then see what we might need to make things better.”

Personally I divide the cruising community into two camps:
1. cruising people that go (or have left),
2. people that really like fixing up/working on boats.

And I’m not knocking the second group, but I’ve noticed that few people seem to be able to move between the groups.
Old 23-03-2016, 12:09   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
In respect to the OP in question. The nature of Alctel‘s post and the questions raised are very common on this forum.

There are always a significant number of proven cruising boats on the market and 30-35 mono cruisers have never been cheaper.

A few weeks ago someone on the forum made a reference to this article at morganscloud.com. The article was written by a Mr Mick O'Flanagan and I read his words with interest. He and his wife bought an old fero boat and went cruising. They've subsequently sailed 70,000 miles, including a trip to Greenland. Here are a couple of extracts:

“I am at a loss to understand why folks buy a boat, then spend thousands making changes whilst using up the one thing they can’t replace: their lives. Perhaps if the boat requires so much time and money it’s the wrong boat?

However, we did go cruising and, some 70,000 miles later, we still do not possess any of those items deemed necessary. Rather than fit out a boat for a lifestyle we had no idea we would like, we simply opted to try the lifestyle and then see what we might need to make things better.”

Personally I divide the cruising community into two camps:
1. cruising people that go (or have left),
2. people that really like fixing up/working on boats.

And I’m not knocking the second group, but I’ve noticed that few people seem to be able to move between the groups.
I think you can divide it easier, there are the dreamers and the leavers. All of them start in the dreamers camp but few make the big jump.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 12:12   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Safely taking a 1980 36' hunter around the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
I hate to comment on these things but with my nearly 60 years of boating experience, and as a boat builder and marina owner, I would NEVER reccomend to anyone that they sail a Hunter around the world! They are barely made to be a boat, let alone a deep water around the world cruiser! Either get a real boat or stay close to land, for your own sake.
ROFLMTO...
It ain't the boat.. its the man at the Helm..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 12:13   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I circumnavigate without either so don't waste money unless you need them.

Ditto SSB. Many use sat phones nowadays.

Every dollar you can save now is a dollar you can spend in some exotic cruising destination.

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.
re Lee cloths and strap at stove
You are a good guy with good advise most of the time, today wasn't your day.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 12:14   #40

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Your Hunter will be fine for bluewater, especially after all your work is completed. You are adding a lot of "stuff". Sure, good stuff, but the most important thing on the boat is.... YOU. People were sailing across oceans long before all this electronics and toys and extra emergency gear.

I've seen several boats loaded with all the gear, and the skipper has no idea how to use any of it.

If you have loved ones staying ashore, you might consider a sat phone as well. They aren't that expensive anymore.

You can't "check" the keel bolts. They are embedded. To drop the keel to inspect them would be crazy. There is no reason to suspect the keel bolts. You can torque the nuts in the bilge if you want.

The Hunter 36 is a nice boat. Maybe a bit narrow in the beam, but you'll be ok. Make sure you have at least one really good, safe, secure place to sleep while underway.

Learn all the words to a few of your favorite songs...singing (really loud) is a good cure for sea sickness or loneliness, and is also a fun thing to do when sailing out of sight of land.

Don't spend too long working on the boat...life is short. At some point, you have to cast off the bow lines, and head out into the unknown. Best of luck to you.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 12:21   #41

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Almost forgot...you will need a bucket and a toilet plunger (plumbers helper).
I learned this in another thread.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 13:04   #42

a sat phone and nix the lithium batteries we have all seen the hoverboard fires by now
roberthowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 13:06   #43

Boat: Niagara 35

I think your boat is probably sufficient and you're doing mostly the right things with both upgrades and getting practice.

Dropping the rudder and having a very close look is probably a good idea, and I'll add my vote for making sure you have a snug sea berth, preferably amidships.

I don't think you need Li batteries, and I'm on the fence about an SSB. The Irridium Go! is worth at least a look as an alternate.

Remember that you're going to go out the straight and hang a left in early September. A week or two later, you'll sail under the Golden Gate (which is an amazing feeling). Then you have 6 weeks to kill in Southern California before hurricane season is over in Mexico. So you have lots of time to fix and improve things after your first long offshore leg. The boat doesn't need to be perfect before you leave.

You seem to have missed the most important item for upgrades: Why the heck would you want to sail solo? Go find a girl/boy who wants to come along on a great adventure!

I'm just around the corner in Vancouver. PM me if you have any other questions (except dating questions... I'm out of practice).
Old 23-03-2016, 14:20   #44

Boat: Beneteau 44cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
I posted this a few months ago on a different forum and got some great feedback, so I thought I'd post it again on CF as it tends to be a different crowd here.

Two years ago I bought a boat, having never set foot on one before. Since then I've been learning to sail on it and upgrading it like crazy. As I get closer to my leave date in 2 years, I am wondering what else I need to do to get my boat up to scratch to safely go around the world. Am I missing anything? I'd really like some input.

I'm trying to plan my upgrade schedule this year and I was wondering if anyone had any input into priorities etc. I am also trying to get out sailing as much as possible, and plan to take a month off work and circumnavigate Vancouver island in August. My previous longest trip was a two week trip around the san juan islands and the juan de fuca strait. I've sailed (deliberately) through a few gales with winds up to 40 knots as a test - though the seas have all been small. No real swells.

The boat is a Hunter 1980 36' sloop from the Cherubini era, with a fin keel, and a spade rudder protected by a small skeg. It's pretty heavily built, and the keel bolts seem sound - no water ingress from the bilge while underway or egress from the bilge when hauled out.

Really, I think I'm looking for reassurance that I can safely take this boat offshore and be comfortable. I am wary of it being an OAB (Old Ass Boat) and hope I have mitigated that

Currently I've

- replaced standing rigging (inc a brand new furler)
- replaced running rigging (aside from halyards which I will do later)
- added a spinnaker pole for DDW sailing
- checked the bulkhead tabbing
- added radar/AIS transponder
- redone all exterior/interior lights with LEDs
- ripped out entire AC/DC wiring system, redone with heat shrink crimps, tinned marine wire and a new panel
- redone entire plumbing system
- in the middle of building a windvane
- in the middle of installing an autopilot
- added a diesel heater
- redid all mast wiring from scratch
- replaced VHF antenna and added a DSC VHF radio
- replaced all portholes with stainless steel NFM ones
- new chain and a 45lb mantus
- replaced rotten compression post
- new prop shaft/prop
- replaced steering cables/rudder stuffing box

I plan to

- replace all chainplates
- replace lifelines
- add jacklines
- add solar panels (and maybe a wind genny)
- add lithium battery system
- rewire engine electrical harness
- recore deck in soft areas
- redo non-skid (kiwigrip?) and gelcoat
- add a marine SSB (probably a icom802)
- replace sails
- add liftraft
- add EPIRB
- add jordon series drogue
- add trysail somehow/maybe just a heavy 3rd reef

Is there anything I'm missing?

Iv just completed a refit on my beneteau for a circumnav starting in aug this year. Ill compare your list to what iv done But there are quite a few things I have that are not on your list such as.....

consider the following
Glass in a bit of 6" drain pipe around each thru hull fitting and add a float switch to give you an early warning of a leak or hose failure.
a 60lph Watermaker I use a rotary clothes line with canvas insert with hose attachment. Its only folded up and extended when its raining and is covered when folded to avoid salt contamination.
Water harvester with RO filter
Canvas sling like a very large canvas hammock. If you get holed below the water line you sling it under the boat covering the hole from the outside It will slow down the water intake and buy you time to seal it on the inside. Sometimes there is alot of woodwork to remove to expose the breach on the inside.
Consider a satelite SOS alerter such as delorme inreach
Consider a twizzle rig for running before the trades (mainless)
A deck small gas barbacue
Good fishing Gear
Consider a sidescan sonar for surveying anchorages. I have a structure scan HD ite brilliant
Get a second battery bank independant of the existing and get a hydro turbine
Insulate you fridge /freezer with aspen aerogel (the best insulator on the planet) Its amazing stuff
Make sure you add a holding tank
buy a few hammocks
Buy some breeze catchers for your deck hatches
make sure you have fly screens for all your hatches.
Get a waterproof floating Handheld vhf with spare battery.
Get a solar charger and spare batteries pack for your grab bag
Buy 2 good powerful led torches pref with SOS flashers
Dont rely of electronic charts.
I have some ideas on security but im not disclosing them in a public forum.
Buy a good pair of stabalised binoculars
Buy a few gopro or like cameras
Buy a good drone
get a feathering prop
add extra deardrop annodes
rig a manual deploy annode for marinas or anchorages
If you can afford it get copper coat antifoul
Get a good HF Radio and Pactor modem.
Fabricate a spare rudder
Fabricate a retractable bow underwater wireless camera for finding your way thru reefs and into nice lagoons.
I have a masthead PTZ Camera but thats a bit of an over kill i admit.
I rigged long bright LED strips under my spreaders. Best deck lights I ever had and a miser on amps
You definately need a hydrovane for powerless self steering A must I have an aries.
Deck shower solar heated (a bit of a luxury i know)
A good sun shield for deck lounging
A cool box on deck for beer a must
a 12v ice maker
a good coffee maker
a 5k min diesel gene.
Clean dry and glass over the heads or your keel bolts

Ok i went over board I know but im only doing this once in my life and iv planned it for years

If there is still room for you on the baot .. enjoy the trip
cajucito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 14:23   #45

Boat: Hunter 44DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Why?
This is a link to an old brochure for a Hunter 36.
I’m a kiwi and Hunter’s have never been available in NZ. A gather from the post above and numerous others that I’ve read over many years that Hunter boats are total crap and to be avoided. So why is the firm building them still in business?
Only wankers that Have never sailed a hunter say that, my boat has come halfway around the world to Australia and is a strong great boat
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, round the world