Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2016, 06:24   #61

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Safely taking a 1980 36' hunter around the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If memory serves his Famous Boat was actually an abandoned wreck on a beach that he found and rebuilt after losing his job as a skipper.. no personal design influence just re-planking to someone else's lines..
Still.. the guy who designed the modern 'Spray' made some $$'s out of the legend..
And, of course, Slocum learned to sail in a small boat.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 10:28   #62

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
A problem we all face

Bottom line: do YOU trust your boat? If not, you'll never be ready.
If you do, you have to stop preparing at some point, and just set sail.

Did you know you can change /add / remove stuff while underway as well?
Hah, yes, but I have a decent job right now and it's easier to do stuff when the marine shop is close by!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Great attitude. I think you'll be fine. Here's a link to a book by Webb Chiles who sailed around the world in a Drabscombe Lugger which is an open boat less than 19' long. It's a fun read but more importantly it illustrates the point that it's the sailor, not the boat. Slocum sailed around the world in a wooden boat with kerosene lanterns & a sextant. Ironically many people became obsessed with having their own version of Spray in the hopes that it would make them a world voyager when, in fact, what made Slocum remarkable was not the boat at all. Imagine if Slocum had had a Hunter.

http://www.inthepresentsea.com/the_a..._OPEN_BOAT.pdf
I really like that book, and actually read all his other ones too. It gets pretty intense at some points!
Old 24-03-2016, 11:11   #63
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Of course, Webb Chiles has had more than one boat sink while he was sailing it, hasn't he?
Boat Sinks - tribunedigital-sunsentinel

Somehow, he keeps surviving it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 11:24   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
I hate to comment on these things but with my nearly 60 years of boating experience, and as a boat builder and marina owner, I would NEVER reccomend to anyone that they sail a Hunter around the world! They are barely made to be a boat, let alone a deep water around the world cruiser! Either get a real boat or stay close to land, for your own sake.
Cherbunini's have a pretty good reputation.
Old 24-03-2016, 12:43   #65

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I think you are certainly in overkill, fear mode.

Perhaps you should close your wallet and go for a nice relaxing Easter Cruise.
If its still too cold to sail, just take a bunch of cold beers and veg out abord wherever...
I have to agree with Mark J here. It is impossible advice to tell someone prepping to chill, and certainly there are people out there who perhaps dont worry enough, but I dont think that is your (or my) problem.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 12:48   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I have to agree with Mark J here. It is impossible advice to tell someone prepping to chill, and certainly there are people out there who perhaps dont worry enough, but I dont think that is your (or my) problem.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 13:24   #67

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Cherbunini's have a pretty good reputation.
I refrained from saying that. I hate to damp some ones dreams that seems to have things together. I would put Hunter as step below ODay. I think one above Catalina. All three were made for the consumer market and close to shore sailing.

I wish him luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 02:25   #68

Boat: Cal-40

I would look at the rudder and steering system very close. Often there is a packing gland and bushing between the rudder post and the fiberglass tube used for the through hull. Your going to use this rudder a lot and its never an option to have it fail. Also look at all through hull fittings, on a 1980 vessel they should be re-bedded with a good below waterline compound like 5200. Make sure all metal parts below the waterline have a ground bond strap or wire connected to a common grounding block to reduce or prevent stray currents that can eat away metal parts.
Never worry about sailing an older boat. I have spent the past 10 years sailing 1.5 times solo around the world in my 1968 Cal 40. Its ALWAYS better to have a good sailor on a bad boat then a bad sailor on a good boat. No matter, a well found older vessel can take you beyond your dreams. Try not to clutter you boat with too much stuff most of with you will never use to such a point the weight makes you paint a new higher waterline. Long term boat life is a wonderful lessen in living simple and easy, enjoy your journey as its already started the day you bought this boat, don't be in a hurry, enjoys the new lands and for sure when you meet the peoples learn a few words in the local lingo, drink their wines, eat their cheese and dance to their music.
I wish you a good voyage.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 06:31   #69

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Of course, Webb Chiles has had more than one boat sink while he was sailing it, hasn't he?
Boat Sinks - tribunedigital-sunsentinel

Somehow, he keeps surviving it.

Perhaps we're looking at this the wrong way. Instead of fearing risk perhaps it should be embraced. When I was a rock climber I was always roped up. My sense of accomplishment after scaling the face was great but paled in comparison to what free climbers feel. There was a recent thread about the Pardey's Seraffyn which they sailed around the world without a motor. The new owner was asked if he planned to install one & he tried to explain the sense of accomplishment he felt sailing the boat without one. I think sometimes we get so caught up in minimizing risk we forget that risk has it's own reward.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, round the world