Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2016, 14:41   #46
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Safely taking a 1980 36' hunter around the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akapeterc View Post
Only wankers that Have never sailed a hunter say that, my boat has come halfway around the world to Australia and is a strong great boat
Actually I think he was defending Hunters.. before I left the US on mine sail instructors etc in Oriental were saying I was 'Dead Man Walking'.. just because 3 Hunters sailed by idiots had gone down in the area..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 15:29   #47

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Safely taking a 1980 36' hunter around the world

I'm not sure a Hunter would be my choice but what do I know. Sounds as though he has all his **** in one sock as far as outfitting. I hope he has the experience. Sounds like he might. I don't believe 40 is gale
I stand corrected 39 is the lower end.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 15:30   #48

Every boat is different. Even the same brand and model. Boats built during the first "Gas Crisis" in the 70's in the USA vary widely. Some builders went out of business, some builders noted for super strong hulls went to much thinner layup to save cost, some tried alternate resins offered by the sellers.
I have no doubt that some Hunters are strong boats, ....and no doubt about vice versa also.
Another example are the early Beneteau's, built like a tank, huge chainplates etc. Unlike their later sisters.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 15:41   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

A Swiss friend of mine bought an old Hunter Legend in the Caribe back in '06.. he sailed it to the Med then back across to S America where he is currently living aboard and working a State contract till the end of this year.. good job this Thread was not running back then.. he may not have bought it and gone for a C&C and sank..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 23-03-2016, 16:07   #50
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
before I left the US on mine sail instructors etc in Oriental were saying I was 'Dead Man Walking'.. just because 3 Hunters sailed by idiots had gone down

if not for the g&t's he would've been right

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 16:14   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
if not for the g&t's he would've been right
Talk about carrying a grudge..

Old 23-03-2016, 18:34   #52

Boat: Scout 30

Disparaging someone's boat is like insulting someone's wife. Pointless & mean spirited. The OP didn't ask for anyone's opinion about the boat he already has. He asked for help making this boat safer.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 19:03   #53

^^^^ what he said.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 19:07   #54

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Disparaging someone's boat is like insulting someone's wife.
But have you seen any pictures of his boat? It is really dirty. I don't think you can sail around the world with a dirty boat. Dirty, dirty boat... dirty.

Old 23-03-2016, 19:30   #55

OK, I take it back. I didn't know she was dirty. Shame
Old 23-03-2016, 20:15   #56

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
but with my nearly 60 years of boating experience, and as a boat builder and marina owner,
Whenever someone feels they need to post how incredibly experienced & knowledgeble they are, I tend to ignore what comes after that cos it's usually BS
Old 23-03-2016, 21:23   #57

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipcho View Post
Get a gennaker, rather than a spinnaker. Much easier and safer to deploy and take down. I think I read that you have a cutter rig? I would take the furler off of the inside forestay, if it has one, and instead get a hank on storm jib. Very handy when heaving to in serious weather. Of course you must have running backstays for plunging into big head seas, to go along with your inner jib. I have sailed (still sailing) from NZ to my present anchorage here in the Western Caribbean, on my old (1975) cold molded wood boat. Age is not an issue if she's well built and maintained. Bring plenty of spares for essential equipment (eg. alternator), and lots of filters, spare impellers, etc.
Have a great time!
A sloop, sadly. The 37' is the cutter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Adding a moveable back stay with 3 points on the back of the boat might also be something to look at.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I have an adjustable backstay already! Not that I really know how to use it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanamuk View Post
In 1983 there was a Hunter 36 Safari II crossing the Pacific with us - it's rudder fell out twice - once on the way to the Marquesas and again between Tonga and Fiji - had to be towed in both times. Same boat hit the quay in Papeete Tahiti in a hurricane and was difficult to repair because the outer skin was so thin it peeled away before it could be scuffed enough to bond on more glass. Owners wisely had it shipped back to Vancouver and bought a boat more suited to offshore sailing - sorry but you must have doubts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
I hate to comment on these things but with my nearly 60 years of boating experience, and as a boat builder and marina owner, I would NEVER reccomend to anyone that they sail a Hunter around the world! They are barely made to be a boat, let alone a deep water around the world cruiser! Either get a real boat or stay close to land, for your own sake.
Welp, I guess I'm gonna die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesevans View Post
You might want to have the spade rudder checked out. Corrosion on post and the internal webbing. Not a thing you want to fail in heavy weather!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I'll second this one.

OP, sounds like you are well on the way to making her nearly new. Regarding your rebuild:
One thing I would add is check the rudder core for water ingress. You can do this by drilling a small hole in the side of the rudder and look for water coming out, or squeeze the foam bits off the drill bit between your thumb/finger looking for water.. Then repair the hole.

I rounded Van isle from Seattle in 5 weeks and had to keep moving a bit. But it was great. Unfortunately, August can be really foggy. I went in June.
I've dropped the rudder recently and inspected it all and it looked ok - I like the 'drill a hole' idea though. I'll do that next haulout. The rudder still has positive buoyancy so I'm hopeful there is no water ingress.

Quote:
I agree with the second forestay for a storm jib. I'd also get a tri sail & a drogue. Also, make sure the tether on your harness is short enough to keep you on deck. Being drug outside the lifelines is a bad way to go.
I have a boarding ladder, and yeah - when I add jacklines I am going to make sure I can't go over the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
[I]“I am at a loss to understand why folks buy a boat, then spend thousands making changes whilst using up the one thing they can’t replace: their lives. Perhaps if the boat requires so much time and money it’s the wrong boat?

Personally I divide the cruising community into two camps:
1. cruising people that go (or have left),
2. people that really like fixing up/working on boats.
I like sailing to places and I like fixing stuff. Honestly, this was the first sailboat I had ever touched so I probably could have made a far better purchase - luckily my job allows me the time and money to plunk away at this, all the time livng on board and practicing sailing. It's not the worst. Even without the cruising aspect as of yet, I really like living on a boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Your Hunter will be fine for bluewater, especially after all your work is completed. You are adding a lot of "stuff". Sure, good stuff, but the most important thing on the boat is.... YOU. People were sailing across oceans long before all this electronics and toys and extra emergency gear.

I've seen several boats loaded with all the gear, and the skipper has no idea how to use any of it.

If you have loved ones staying ashore, you might consider a sat phone as well. They aren't that expensive anymore.

You can't "check" the keel bolts. They are embedded. To drop the keel to inspect them would be crazy. There is no reason to suspect the keel bolts. You can torque the nuts in the bilge if you want.

The Hunter 36 is a nice boat. Maybe a bit narrow in the beam, but you'll be ok. Make sure you have at least one really good, safe, secure place to sleep while underway.

Learn all the words to a few of your favorite songs...singing (really loud) is a good cure for sea sickness or loneliness, and is also a fun thing to do when sailing out of sight of land.

Don't spend too long working on the boat...life is short. At some point, you have to cast off the bow lines, and head out into the unknown. Best of luck to you.
Thanks for the nice words! I work in IT so am pretty good with the electronic stuff, I've had fun creating an internal network and linking to the internet etc. I am also getting a sextant etc though as a backup. And for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Almost forgot...you will need a bucket and a toilet plunger (plumbers helper).
I learned this in another thread.
I have a Natures Head, no plugged plumbing here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post

I don't think you need Li batteries, and I'm on the fence about an SSB. The Irridium Go! is worth at least a look as an alternate.

Remember that you're going to go out the straight and hang a left in early September. A week or two later, you'll sail under the Golden Gate (which is an amazing feeling). Then you have 6 weeks to kill in Southern California before hurricane season is over in Mexico. So you have lots of time to fix and improve things after your first long offshore leg. The boat doesn't need to be perfect before you leave.

You seem to have missed the most important item for upgrades: Why the heck would you want to sail solo? Go find a girl/boy who wants to come along on a great adventure!

I'm just around the corner in Vancouver. PM me if you have any other questions (except dating questions... I'm out of practice).
I am big on an SSB because I like the idea of radio nets, esp as a solo sailor. I may end up with a sat phone as well, but I really like the idea of playing around and learning a new skill with the SSB. Also I am a huge nerd.

Re: Finding someone else, I am outta the dating game. I'm too selfish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I'm not sure a Hunter would be my choice but what do I know. Sounds as though he has all his **** in one sock as far as outfitting. I hope he has the experience. Sounds like he might. I don't believe 40 is gale
I stand corrected 39 is the lower end.
In Canada, a gale is 35+ knots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
But have you seen any pictures of his boat? It is really dirty. I don't think you can sail around the world with a dirty boat. Dirty, dirty boat... dirty.

Hey, it's just the outside is all dinged up! The inside, engine, galley etc are all nice and clean. Was more concerned last year with working on the inside, I plan to pretty it up this summer. Man, the gelcoat is gonna need a TON of work though :<
Old 23-03-2016, 21:30   #58

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Welp, I guess I'm gonna die.
A problem we all face

Bottom line: do YOU trust your boat? If not, you'll never be ready.
If you do, you have to stop preparing at some point, and just set sail.

Did you know you can change /add / remove stuff while underway as well?
Old 24-03-2016, 05:23   #59

Great attitude. I think you'll be fine. Here's a link to a book by Webb Chiles who sailed around the world in a Drabscombe Lugger which is an open boat less than 19' long. It's a fun read but more importantly it illustrates the point that it's the sailor, not the boat. Slocum sailed around the world in a wooden boat with kerosene lanterns & a sextant. Ironically many people became obsessed with having their own version of Spray in the hopes that it would make them a world voyager when, in fact, what made Slocum remarkable was not the boat at all. Imagine if Slocum had had a Hunter.

http://www.inthepresentsea.com/the_a..._OPEN_BOAT.pdf
Old 24-03-2016, 06:13   #60
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Great attitude. I think you'll be fine. Here's a link to a book by Webb Chiles who sailed around the world in a Drabscombe Lugger which is an open boat less than 19' long. It's a fun read but more importantly it illustrates the point that it's the sailor, not the boat. Slocum sailed around the world in a wooden boat with kerosene lanterns & a sextant. Ironically many people became obsessed with having their own version of Spray in the hopes that it would make them a world voyager when, in fact, what made Slocum remarkable was not the boat at all. Imagine if Slocum had had a Hunter.

http://www.inthepresentsea.com/the_a..._OPEN_BOAT.pdf
If memory serves his Famous Boat was actually an abandoned wreck on a beach that he found and rebuilt after losing his job as a skipper.. no personal design influence just re-planking to someone else's lines..
Still.. the guy who designed the modern 'Spray' made some $$'s out of the legend..

Tags
hunter, round the world