Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2016, 18:02   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Safely taking a 1980 36' hunter around the world

Have you guys ever heard of the term "Click Bait"?

SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 18:18   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
Offshore and comfortable do not always appear in the same sentence, especially with a 36 ft boat. One of my recommendations is that you get a few offshore experiences in different conditions just to see how you and the boat hold up when pressed hard on multi-day runs. There's a world of difference between offshore and inshore, especially when the wind is blowing 20+.

Other than that, make sure you have one good sea berth with lee cloths; a galley strap for food prep and navigation; and plenty of hand holds both below and on deck. I'd also recommend some redundancy with auto pilots, along with some other form of self steering. They are a common failure point and make a world of difference to comfort, safety and fatigue reduction.
^^^^^^^^^^^

That's what I think, too. Your prep is very good. Unless you've done this, and tipped your toe in the water, so to speak, you're halfway there.

Once you do, you'll be able to answer your own question(s) as to what YOU think you need.

As far as the (humorous) Hunter bashing, your boat is old enough to be one of the good ones!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 18:57   #18

Has this boat ever left her mooring? have you sailed her? and where did you go? If you have sailed this boat coastal around BC and have been happy with her, she will take you anywhere within reason. Keep away from the higher latitudes and go cruising.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 07:32   #19

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Since you do not yet have an SSB, you would do well to first read John Harries articles on the subject from his website, www.morganscloud.com

It also has a wealth of excellent information on prepping and gearing up for offshore, particularly with regard to safety gear.
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 07:37   #20

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Think I'd skip on the LiOn batteries and gelcoat. A lot of money for that boat, not that there is anything wrong with it. I'd save the money on the gelcoat until you get back from cruising!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Normally I'd agree, but it REALLY looks like crap. Chunks outta the gelcoat and stuff (not from me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes, I agree. That's why I doubt you'll get good advice here.

You seem to have a huge list of stuff you've done and more to go too.

I think you are certainly in overkill, fear mode.

Perhaps you should close your wallet and go for a nice relaxing Easter Cruise.
If its still too cold to sail, just take a bunch of cold beers and veg out abord wherever you are.

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.
We can sail all year round here, and I just had a great sail the other day. Agree with the spirit of the post though for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
You haven't reinforced the hull yet, and there's not a lot of prepping for the zombie apocalypse.

Offshore you'll be fine.

On the hard, it's a different story - there's a reason most sailors & cruisers die on the hard and not at sea.
I HATE HATE being on the hard - I hauled out in Feb and managed to redo bottom paint and redo rudder packing + redo steering cables in three days. I always try to get away asap

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
Offshore and comfortable do not always appear in the same sentence, especially with a 36 ft boat. One of my recommendations is that you get a few offshore experiences in different conditions just to see how you and the boat hold up when pressed hard on multi-day runs. There's a world of difference between offshore and inshore, especially when the wind is blowing 20+.

Other than that, make sure you have one good sea berth with lee cloths; a galley strap for food prep and navigation; and plenty of hand holds both below and on deck. I'd also recommend some redundancy with auto pilots, along with some other form of self steering. They are a common failure point and make a world of difference to comfort, safety and fatigue reduction.
I'm getting an electronic autopilot (installing it now) and a windvane. I've been solo sailing for 18 months without any form of selfsteering and yeah, it's exhausting.

No lee cloths/galley strap yet - I'll have to get some ideas
Old 23-03-2016, 07:56   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^

That's what I think, too. Your prep is very good. Unless you've done this, and tipped your toe in the water, so to speak, you're halfway there.

Once you do, you'll be able to answer your own question(s) as to what YOU think you need.

As far as the (humorous) Hunter bashing, your boat is old enough to be one of the good ones!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Has this boat ever left her mooring? have you sailed her? and where did you go? If you have sailed this boat coastal around BC and have been happy with her, she will take you anywhere within reason. Keep away from the higher latitudes and go cruising.
She's on a dock and I live on her. I've sailed around the Juan de Fuca and haro strait mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTwilight View Post
Since you do not yet have an SSB, you would do well to first read John Harries articles on the subject from his website, www.morganscloud.com

It also has a wealth of excellent information on prepping and gearing up for offshore, particularly with regard to safety gear.
I'll take a look, thanks.
Old 23-03-2016, 08:27   #22

Boat: Young 42

Get a gennaker, rather than a spinnaker. Much easier and safer to deploy and take down. I think I read that you have a cutter rig? I would take the furler off of the inside forestay, if it has one, and instead get a hank on storm jib. Very handy when heaving to in serious weather. Of course you must have running backstays for plunging into big head seas, to go along with your inner jib. I have sailed (still sailing) from NZ to my present anchorage here in the Western Caribbean, on my old (1975) cold molded wood boat. Age is not an issue if she's well built and maintained. Bring plenty of spares for essential equipment (eg. alternator), and lots of filters, spare impellers, etc.
Have a great time!
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 08:29   #23

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Adding a moveable back stay with 3 points on the back of the boat might also be something to look at.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 08:46   #24

Boat: Endurance 35,

In 1983 there was a Hunter 36 Safari II crossing the Pacific with us - it's rudder fell out twice - once on the way to the Marquesas and again between Tonga and Fiji - had to be towed in both times. Same boat hit the quay in Papeete Tahiti in a hurricane and was difficult to repair because the outer skin was so thin it peeled away before it could be scuffed enough to bond on more glass. Owners wisely had it shipped back to Vancouver and bought a boat more suited to offshore sailing - sorry but you must have doubts.
Nanamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 08:55   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Safely taking a 1980 36' hunter around the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanamuk View Post
In 1983 there was a Hunter 36 Safari II crossing the Pacific with us - it's rudder fell out twice - once on the way to the Marquesas and again between Tonga and Fiji - had to be towed in both times. Same boat hit the quay in Papeete Tahiti in a hurricane and was difficult to repair because the outer skin was so thin it peeled away before it could be scuffed enough to bond on more glass. Owners wisely had it shipped back to Vancouver and bought a boat more suited to offshore sailing - sorry but you must have doubts.
But.. a Cherubini.. certainly does NOT sound like my 37c for sure.. crap maintenance counts for a lot

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 08:59   #26

Boat: 55 fleming

You might want to have the spade rudder checked out. Corrosion on post and the internal webbing. Not a thing you want to fail in heavy weather!
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 09:17   #27
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post

No lee cloths/galley strap yet - I'll have to get some ideas
I circumnavigate without either so don't waste money unless you need them.

Ditto SSB. Many use sat phones nowadays.

Every dollar you can save now is a dollar you can spend in some exotic cruising destination.

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 09:29   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipcho View Post
.....................Bring plenty of spares for essential equipment (eg. alternator), and lots of filters, spare impellers, etc.
Have a great time!
Good idea.

Here's a start:

Spares for a Long Cruise

Engine Spares for a Long Cruise
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 09:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Think I'd skip on the LiOn batteries and gelcoat. A lot of money for that boat, not that there is anything wrong with it. I'd save the money on the gelcoat until you get back from cruising!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I'll second this one.

OP, sounds like you are well on the way to making her nearly new. Regarding your rebuild:
One thing I would add is check the rudder core for water ingress. You can do this by drilling a small hole in the side of the rudder and look for water coming out, or squeeze the foam bits off the drill bit between your thumb/finger looking for water.. Then repair the hole.

I rounded Van isle from Seattle in 5 weeks and had to keep moving a bit. But it was great. Unfortunately, August can be really foggy. I went in June.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 10:50   #30

Boat: Catalina 25' "Grace"

I applaud you for your courage in posting your plans / boat / refit here on this forum. A circumnavigation should not scare you after this.
James
jmczzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, round the world