Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2010, 04:50   #31

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Thanks for the concern. I followed the regulations carefully while installing it. The tank has been tested for leaks, properly vented to the outside. The area that the tank is in is passively vented fore and aft. I don't have insurance on my boat, but I am sure that it is much much safer now than it was before. Cal40john, you are right that outboards do not need to be vented. Tanks for outboards stored below decks (like mine) do need to be in a ventilated area except if they are properly vented to the outside, unless there are unprotected electrical components in the same space. Since my battery is in the same general area, I made sure to install the extra passive (louver) vent in the transom area.

27 gallons does seem a bit much, but I went through that much last year on my trip to block island, and this time I will be going about 350 miles between any kind of fuel docks at one point and I don't know how much motoring I will need to do. Also we will be refilling the dinghy motor off the same tanks and doing lots of exploration with the dink.

I leave June 29th. We go from Brooklyn, through NYC, Long Island Sound, Block Island Sound, Buzzards Bay, Cape Cod Canal to Provincetown, Ma. Then we cross the Gulf of Maine and arrive at my family's cabin in Moose Cove, near Lubec. Stay there for a few days and head back down the Maine Coast day by day.

I plan on posting a big pre-cruise checklist before I go for everyone's approval. Hopefully I have done the research and preparation to stand the safety test of the forum!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 19:52   #32
HiZ

Boat: Reinell 26' - SeaFlight 12.5 - Switzer 17ss - 62 Cruisers Lapstrake - 17' SeaSprite
For complete approval you better check your list again.

The trip sounds great
I wish that I could see a pic of the finished product here!
Or at least a pic of the boat
Or a pic of a gallon of fuel for all I care.

Someone needs to post up some pics on here!
Old 17-06-2010, 06:18   #33
cruiser

Because most small engines receive their fuel from the bottom of the tank, ... Spill Proof Gas Can Safe Storage Store gasoline in UL
AngelinaJolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 08:50   #34
HiZ

Boat: Reinell 26' - SeaFlight 12.5 - Switzer 17ss - 62 Cruisers Lapstrake - 17' SeaSprite
Angelina what are you meaning
Old 17-06-2010, 16:17   #35

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Gasoline "cans" are metal and in a salt water environment they will rust in one season and the bottom fall off in another season or two. Normally we use Plastic gasoline "jugs/containers" to avoid the problem of rusting. But the tops are not "spill-proof" by the very nature of plastic and its ability to flex/deform. Which is why they are stored "on-deck." Metal containers/cans do not last long in tropical or other salt air/water environment unless you can find stainless steel which I have never encountered.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 23:51   #36
HiZ

YES! ............
Old 20-06-2010, 04:50   #37
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Jack,
What we did to increase our fuel capacity was to install 'pin rails'. Basically I countersunk some stainless cable clamps (like you would use with a thimble to put an eye in cable) into some 30" x1" x 2.5" mahogany boards I had. You could use something like 'trex' plastic decking boards also.

I can place the fuel cans outside the life lines, and lash them to the pinrail boards... Worked out well for us, including several passages in 9 months of cruising.
I'd like to see a photo of this setup, please, have you got one???
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 18:24   #38
bvh

Boat: macgregor 26 (atm)
AQhoy Orange crush . Marvellous replys,very entertaining (i love the back to back banter) . . .. . . . .re ; fuel woes tho , take more time on your trip and ......Put The Sails Up maybe , lol
bvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 23:24   #39
HiZ

Agreed! Yeah sails old boy sails