Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2009, 03:50   #1

Boat: Currently Boatless!
Safe, stable, family cruiser...

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies I have already received in the other areas of this forum. Time to ask the all important question...which boat? I have read most of the other threads that have addressed the same question though not all answering my questions or criteria so here goes.

We are a family of 4 and want to do a slow-time circumnavigation. I would like to say that safe and stable are the main priorities (I know a boat can only be as safe as the person sailing it). My children are 15 and 13 so it must be something that they can easily aid in sailing. I have been thinking of something around 36'. Initial thoughts have been towards a steel boat for increased stability in heavy weather (not that we will be looking for heavy weather!!) though completely open to suggestions on this.

My budget will be around £55,000 ($82,000, €63,000) ready to sail. I am not too concerned about luxury gadgets and gizmos as I have spent half of my life in or around the military with a map, compass, hand-held GPS and radio and always got where I wanted to go! Of course, if it's already on board or I am advised that certain systems are an absolute must for improved safety then I'll buy them.

I have never worked on a boat though I am now a plumber by trade and very capable mechanically. Something easy to fix and maintain with widely available parts would be an advantage.

I guess this will do for the time being. It will be my first purchase so please excuse my naivity.

Many thanks,

Darren.
settlednomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 06:22   #2

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
Sounds like a great goal!
There are a number of boats that will fit your criteria. Your price point will limit the field, but it would appear to be a buyer's market, so you will have an opportunity to negotiate for a good value.

Here are some boats you might start with:
Rival 36
Camper and Nicholsen 36
Allied SeaBreeze 35 (I think)
Westsail
Pearson 424
Hunter Cherubini 37 Cutter (there are naysayers, but the Cherubini's were solid boats - and the price is right)

A 36 footer will be pretty "cozy" for two adulst and two teenagers, but your budget may require that treade-off. It certainly can be done.

It would be pretty rare to find a boat pefectly ready to shove off on your journey - so expect to spend another 30% to 40% of your purchase price getting the boat up to snuff.
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 06:27   #3

You might also look for some of John Kretschmer's "Used Boat Notebooks" on Amazon - not sure if you'll find one in a French library. John's reviews are solid, and he will indicate whether a boat is capable of blue water voyaging.
Old 19-04-2009, 07:49   #4

Hi Swabbmob,

Thanks for the list of boats. Having just checked out a few variants of each via different sites, I must admit that visually, I am attracted to both the Rival and the Camper & Nicholson. I know looks don't translate to seaworthyness but if your sat on a beach in a far flung place, looking at your boat at anchor, it would be better to be rewarded with a sight of beauty.

Having just written that last sentence, it has occurred to me that looks must be taken into account too, well, at least on my part. Is this normal or should I stick to the practicalities of a boat and what I want to achieve with it?

I had placed an order with Amazon just before reading your reply for 4 other sailing books: World Cruising handbook, World Cruising routes, Voyaging on a small income and Sell Up and Sail, I guess one more won't break the bank .

Thanks again,

Darren.
Old 19-04-2009, 07:54   #5

This was one of the better Nicholsons that I found. Initial thoughts?

Nicholson 35 1983 for sale: £ 55000 on YBW.com - Yachting & Boating World

Darren.
Old 19-04-2009, 08:36   #6

Boat: Riviera 35
Hi Darren,

I don't want to suggest you spend all your boat budget on books, but Heavy Weather Sailing (Adlard Coles) is well worth a read. Particularly the early chapters on boat design.

It's one of those things like a life-jacket. You probably will never need it, but it's a lifesaver, when you do.
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 10:48   #7

Hi MLS,

Thanks for the advice on the book...It's now been ordered.

I will be sailing from Antigua to the UK at the beginning of May so this will give me adequate time (35+ days) to read all my new purchases. Who knows, by the end I may have actually learned something

Darren.
Old 20-04-2009, 01:25   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Steel?

I would imagine that 36', while affordable, may become a tad small for a family of 4 with two teenagers.

I found a Bruce Roberts Offshore 45 on Yachtworld.

Particularly look for rust along stringers, frames and bulkheads in a steel boat.

There are also large numbers of fibreglass boats in the 40-45' range.This Bruce Roberts 45' Sloop caught my eye.

These may fit your specifications, but like any boat would need a careful inspection followed (if suitable) by survey by a qualified and experienced surveyor.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 03:58   #9

Hi Boracay,

A very nice looking boat with plenty of electronic gadgets already installed.

My only concern, though maybe misplaced, is it's size. The biggest boat I have sailed is 41' and we were a crew of 4. During the odd night on the Atlantic when the squalls arrived and I was on watch, I remember it being very difficult to reef on my own. Still, I read that you have a similar boat so all the advice you can throw my way will be greatly received. My sailing experience to date is limited in qualifications, distance and variety of boats used (never having sailed a steel boat) so I am open to all suggestions.

What I do know is that we are just about to put our house on the market. This will free up the cash to buy something and then, when the time is right and everyone is confident enough, we will be off....Yee haa !!!!

Darren.
Old 20-04-2009, 12:59   #10

Darren - the Rival and Camper & Nicholsen are very seaworthy. We don't see them much in the US, but there should be a few over in the Med.
Old 20-04-2009, 15:15   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Motorised comfort...

Hi LBH49520

My wife refuses to let me touch the sails so we motor everywhere.

I have become a convert to large engines and large fuel tanks...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 17:44   #12

Boat: looking
Darren,
Another boat line you might wish to consider is the Morgan. The majority of them were 38' -41', I believe, they have a cutaway keel with keel-hung rudder and are roomy. With two teenagers on board, room might prove to be important. A lot of the charter companies used these boats. Hard to find a roomy steel sailboat in good condition & well-built for the price you're at, although, there are a number of quality Dutch builders. Best of luck!
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 10:40   #13

Thanks for the 'Morgan' name. They seem a lot of boat for comparatively little money. Are they built in the US? I only ask as I've never heard of them before. Are they a renowned cruising/blue water boat?
Old 22-04-2009, 16:09   #14

Darren,
Charley Morgan has been designing boats for over 50 years & is based in Florida. There is a lot of info. about him & his boats on the internet. My understanding is that he now esigns "offshore" steel & aluminum boats. I looked at a few of his 41 foot "Out Island" boats & his 382s. The boats are designed with a fairly long cutaway keel, usually found on heavier cruising boats, with a keel hung rudder. Supposedly, these boats are pretty fast, yet stable. That may be a result from Morgan's experience designing racing boats. Google his name & you should find a lot of info. Though I am planning to build steel boats, in Asia, I have been considering getting another boat, while still in Canada. Having owned a few boats & spending the past several years considering boats available, I'd say that the Morgan Out Island is at the top of my list for dollar value.
Old 22-04-2009, 20:56   #15

Darren,
I just read some other info on the 382. Apparently, the Morgan382 was built by Morgan, but designed by Ted Brewer, a designer from western Canada(Maple Ridge).