Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-04-2012, 11:09   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Sabre build quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Blue View Post
Are you referring to the SeaHunter in this clip?

No, it was ACB aluminum boats. They went out of business last year....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 13:38   #17
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Surprise surprise. Turns out the hull to deck joint of the Sabre 38 is inward turning and through bolted, not screwed. I should have looked that up earlier, rather than take his word for it.

I really liked the boat, and keep trying to justify buying it to myself. I just can't get over the price and lack of maintenance. It's well within my price range, I just can't conceive paying that much for what is in essence a project hull.

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm sure I'll have lots more questions...

JRM

Old 07-04-2012, 19:25   #18

Boat: J/36
Re: Sabre Build Quality?

If you like the boat, but not the price.... make an offer that reflects the amount of work ($$) you think it needs for you to be happy. Yours could be the only offer he's had, and with summer coming, maybe he needs to move fast to get the new boat he wants. Maybe he has to sell because there's a baby on the way. Or college bills. Maybe the broker told him an absurdly high asking price - based on boats that were in better condition. If he thinks your offer is too low, he doesn't have to accept it. Or he could counter-offer, and you could meet half-way. Good luck!
Old 25-12-2012, 12:22   #19

Boat: Sabre 36, Pearson 34. Boatless

Sounds like a bunch of of "sour grapes" to me. I had a Sabre 36, 1986. Fabulous boat. Would have preferred a number of interior up grades but the Sabre is a production boat.

Stand on the deck, during a robust running sea in 30 knots and you will understand the difference between a Sabre and a c and c, catalina or hunter.

I do not recall one comparison from the naysayers who have done on a Sabre what a sailboat is supposed to do......SAIL.. I thought it was the wives who picked the interior!?
Old 25-12-2012, 16:15   #20
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanskier View Post
Sounds like a bunch of of "sour grapes" to me. I had a Sabre 36, 1986. Fabulous boat. Would have preferred a number of interior up grades but the Sabre is a production boat.

Stand on the deck, during a robust running sea in 30 knots and you will understand the difference between a Sabre and a c and c, catalina or hunter.

I do not recall one comparison from the naysayers who have done on a Sabre what a sailboat is supposed to do......SAIL.. I thought it was the wives who picked the interior!?
LOL. Awesome. And for post 3...

Just because I have a few minutes of down time, and my natural curiosity (which seems to get me in trouble here and there), what "interior upgrades" would you have wanted?

I'm just so fascinated that for post 3 you would fire up a six month old thread that in the final analysis lamented the condition and price of a certain boat, not the entire line, and throw out grenades. Lots of grenades.

Oh, and just for historical sake, I did actually make what I felt was an appropriate offer on that Sabre. I was handed a partial list of what I am assuming were supposed to be "comps" trying to justify a crazy price and shown the door. I've gotten a few email flyers from that broker, so I know he had my email address. I chalked it up to an excellent learning experience and another example of the southern California used boat acquisition game.

JRM

-- In the final analysis I ended up with a ***much*** better boat for about 2/3 of the asking price of that stripped down and neglected Sabre...
Old 26-12-2012, 11:27   #21

Boat: Sabre 36, Pearson 34. Boatless

HI,

I am a recent addition to this Forum. That explains my exploring of posts regarding Sabres. I am actually in the market for either a 362 or 38 MkII.

I purchased a new Sabre 36 in 1986. I had a small Sea Sprite 23 that I wanted to move up from.

I did my research: I know the area I generally sail in, Long Island Sound, New York extending South to the Chesapeake and North and East to Maine; wind and sea conditions vary greatly. Long Island Sound can be difficult at times due to a very fast moving current based on flood and ebb of tide, relative to wind direction and speed. High wind and opposing current make for some interesting sailing on this body of water. Our summers are much like your year round conditions; relatively light air. Spring and Fall are another story.

In my pursuit of the unattainable (the perfect sailboat) and keeping in mind that I had four kids and a non sailing spouse, I wanted a boat that I could rely on, single handed depending on who was with me.

In my pursuit of information I read Practical Sailor magazine (still do) and recall a comment in one of their articles about boat shows. They noted that in their observation of prospective buyers, that the buyers would immediately go down below when in their mind's eye they should first be sitting at the helm and verify that it was adequate for their needs.

I followed that advice and when comparing my two finalists, a Sabre 36 and a Bristol 35.5. I loved the interior of the Bristol, the woodwork and assorted accoutrements. I hated the view from the helm. Both boats were essentially the same price. A friend bought the Bristol and I bought the Sabre. The Sabre was also faster and far easier to steer. The Bristol did not track nearly as well. From the YC dock the Bristol was prettier, especially with that beautiful. large teak toe rail. The Sabre sailed better.

As I also wanted to race (bear can and some distance) I checked the polars and the phrf. That essentially established how I went about choosing the Sabre. I also have a sense of pride in ownership in some things.

My due diligence panned out as demonstrated by my delivery from the Chesapeake to my home base in Centerport, New York. Along the New Jersey coast we were hit with a fast moving low and due to water depth along that coast we had to stay outside for most of that part of the trip. Falling off a 12-15 wave and feeling/hearing a whump sound as opposed to a shake, vibrate, rattle, roll sound was gratifying. I had sailed with many friends and their boats and can attest to the fact that the C&C, Catalinas, and Hunters did not inspire that confidence.

It basically comes down to how and where you use the boat. Southern California is not that demanding unless you are going to venture North by a good ways.

To answer your specific questions about the interior: the head was way too small; the cabinetry sucked..........I hated the woven, slotted cabinetry doors; the door going into the forward cabin was very basic........compared to the Bristol it was a piece of plywood cut on an angle as opposed to a paneled door that was radiused top and bottom. Beautiful.

One other thing I did not like was that in certain conditions (going against an opposing current with the opposite high wind) the boat was underpowered. Really sucks when it is blowing like hell and you are motor sailing into the wind at 4 knots and you have no other place to go except where you have just been {North Shore of Long Island has very few points of entry}.

Incidentally I recall that when it really got snotty out, the boats that continued on their cruises were invariably the Sabres, Bristols, Pacific Sea Crafts, etc. The Hunters and Catalinas waited for a better window.

So............I guess I just feel very strongly about the Sabre. I am really sorry you got the go around from a bad agent and an apparently poor owner. Hope that your purchase turns out to be a great success! Happy Sailing!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:33   #22

Boat: Sabre 42

Have owned Sabres and Tartans. Sabres are a superior boat. I agree with the plastic ports and finger catches. should have been SS. Otherwise, a vert solid built boat that is also quick. Have sailed extensively offshore and she is very seakindly. Do not confuse poor maintenance with poor construction quality. the best build boat will eventually fall apart if not maintained.

Tags
sabre

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: