Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-10-2013, 21:51   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1978 Alberg 30
S2 9.2

Looking at a S2 9.2 sailboat cc. I don't have much expeareace with them and would like fellow CFers op pion of them. Looking for something to get back into sailing with. Hope everyone has good information about them.
fkittson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 09:35   #2

Boat: S-2 9.2cc
We just bought our S-2 just a couple months ago. Had her on the water just for the sea trial part of the survey. Cannot wait for spring to get some use out of her. Reason we bought the S-2 was quality of build. Where-ever we looked, and look we did, we could never find anything comparable. In that I mean in her age group. Build date was late 1984. We absolutely love the center cockpit. We looked at a late 70's Coronado, it was very well laid out, but did not like the "up and over" design of it and we personally did not want the aft cabin design. Our Oday was aft style, and as the benefits are obvious,did not fit us. And as it is said about momma being happy,you know the rest. Our boat sat under shrink wrap for 4 years,trapping moisture and the sun never drying her out, I was very happy to find minimal water intrusion into 1 stanchion only. And this was easily repaired. I have read the flatter deck will raise water problems, but we have not found this to be true on this boat. The only other problem found in the survey was the rudder was completely delaminated. From what I am told, this is not an unusual finding. I cannot think of a better boat for us at his time. Not to make anyone mad, but that is why it is our boat,right? My dream boat is a Beneteau Oceanis 38', and even looked at a 35', but price differential will keep us cruising in keys another 2 yrs. And I believe that is what it is all about. Best of luck Bob
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 10:24   #3

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ
Re: S2 9.2

I owned a 1976 aft cockpit model for about 8 years. Basically a good boat. Some salt water kept boats ran into blister problems. I raced my boat and discovered that there was a strong tendency to over-steer causing a unnecessary loss of speed due to a powerful rudder and too small a steering wheel. After consulting with Edson the largest wheel that could fit was used and I learned to steer with very small rotations of the wheel and this won silver for us routinely. We cruised the boat from NJ up through the East River into LI sound and southern New England regularly. The boat was dry and a generally good sea boat. The motor was one of the early single banger Yanmars much too much vibration and slightly under powered but reliable and real easy to maintain. The later boats had bigger and better motors.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: