Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2018, 17:21   #61

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: S&S Yankee 30 MkIII vs Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
Wow, it is pretty amazing that you and your old boat are both in Pittwater, Australia . Was she called Siesta then? Did you buy her new?

Where was the oil-canning happening?
Would love to have a chat if you have a phone. I will PM my details

BTW John is selling his share, and I am Ian
Ian, happy to chat... but your Yankee isn't my old boat. She was named Dominique and was a Mk III, hull #129.

Jim
Old 27-11-2018, 22:35   #62

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: S&S Yankee 30 MkIII vs Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanMartin View Post
JPA Cate:
How interesting. That's a story I would love to hear.

My wife and I restored a Yankee 30 here on Cape Cod. We did the work for a private owner and had a great time doing the work. It seemed like a pretty nice boat. I have more experience with the Tartan 30 version. Just coastal day sailing.

The Y30/T30 would make a nice voyager, I think. But... I have more interest in voyaging small boats than does the MRS and I am certain I know why!

Generally, I can't fault the boat. Prefer our Aphrodite though.

Keep well and thanks,

Norm
Harwich, MA
averisera.com
You're wondering why we sailed from SF to HI and back, are you? Well, here's how it came about. Jim had a dream of sailing to the South Pacific. Jim and I had been cruising coastally in his boat for about five years, it was back in 1983. Now, if you zoom back in the time capsule, we were a LOT younger then than now, and such boats were commonly ocean raced around SF Bay. We had spent a vacation or two at the Channel Is. and returned, for work. Both of us single at the time.

Then Jim conceived the notion to trial ocean passages to see how we liked them. So, he took time off, and I used all of my cached vacation time plus time off without pay, and off we went. We had our fastest days' run in that boat under storm jib, when Tropical Storm Gil was chasing us. Took a pic of the knotmeter, sitting on 8.6 (iirc), not bad for a 25 ft. waterline!

The boat sails on her ear a lot, as I mentioned before, so it is tiring, especially on the long, mainly upwind trip from HI back to SF. It also does not have intended long trip stowage. We took out the v-berth cushions, and created sail and food storage up there. We decided we wanted a bigger boat for an "as long as it's fun" cruise.

Of course, I have fond memories of the trip and Jim. I had, at the time, a very hairy dog, an Alaskan Malemute, and though he had never been on the boat, when we made landfall in HI, the next morning some of his undercoat hairs were floating in the warming air....

And then, we went to a steak house in the morning that had a salad bar, and had a whole bunch of fresh fruit for breakfast.

To me, the plentiful space for storing freshies is a real benefit in a boat.

And now, as they used to say in the 19th century, I will draw the curtain of discretion over the return trip.

Ann