Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2018, 17:42   #1
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
S&S Yankee 30 MkIII vs Bristol 27

My priorities, generally getting formulated and discussed here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-193354.html

This thread is specifically for comparing these two boats, and others for illustrative purposes.

To discuss my needs **in general**, please post to that thread above, ideally after at least scanning the earlier pages.

My most important priority is robust build quality, ability to upfit for offshore passages. I'm not planning to circumnavigate, but want a boat with excellent structural integrity, capable of equipping for that usage maybe one day.

Seakindly motion & stability when the sea state gets rough are also critical.

To the extent a bit more speed helps avoid weather, that would be nice.

Comfort & headroom, ability to carry liveaboard supplies & gear is a distant next.

_____
I've been reading about Yankee 30, and so far **may** be willing to compromise on my dealbreaker 8.5" trailer-transportability as a result. Yes I know not really "trailerable" as in self-launching off normal ramps. . .

But it is very far away and pricey, compared to a Bristol 27, much cheaper and closer.

Others on the list, just to stimulate comparisons, and do let me know of the "one that does not belong"

* Nor'sea 27 (seems fantastic wrt most factors)
* Columbia / Defender 29 (latter a close 2nd so far)
* Westerly Centaur 26
* Tartan 27
* Albin Vega 27

* Pearson Triton 28
* Islanders / Bahama
* Cornish Crabber
* Pacific Seacraft
* Halcyon 27
* Rhodes Meridian 25

I'm so far from ready to begin to think about even considering actually shopping, it's just not funny, but I might just go have a look, it's maybe a 7 hour drive. Trailer available!

Full keel vs skeg hung?

Of course longer's good for offshore, but actually adds to ongoing maintenance costs, right?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 19:30   #2

Boat: Hunter 40 Legend
Send a message via AIM to Capt.Tom
Re: S&S Yankee 30 MkIII vs Bristol 27

Have a boat built out of steel.... figerglass breaks up on reefs. I read about a guy who got stuck on a reef. He used a come along to drag it across and into a lagone. The paint was scratched up....
You will need shallow draft but that usually means full keel which means sluggish and slow. If you want speed , got to go with find keel..... I'm afraid those decisions only you can make...
Capt.Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 19:52   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Definitely a good boat but have you seen the Yankee 26 too? Maybe that would check off more boxes and it'll probably sail better than most, if not all, on the list (PERHAPS including mine on SOME points I have to admit.) Beam is a little over 8.5' though.
YANKEE 26 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

The Yankee 28 too is worth a look. I haven't seen one of those though, but the numbers look like what you are looking for.
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=943

As far as speed, the waterline constraints you have will pretty much determine that, unless you go to something like a Hobie 33... I think they are 8' beam. I think that model was brought up earlier too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 21:58   #4
cruiser

Have never seen other Yankees for sale, probably usually more expensive that I'd like.

So as far as robust seaworthy (BW) goes, better than Columbias (heresy I know), Dory's, Bristol 27?

Still think if I had $35+K the Nor'sea is my favorite.

But so many insist faster is important for safety. . .
Old 15-10-2018, 22:05   #5
cruiser

Hobie 33 been ruled out already I think fish of a different color 8-)
Old 15-10-2018, 22:20   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

As a matter of example here is a Y30 in San Diego:
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...687447322.html

I have seen the Y26 and they have a good rep for strong build quality. Jim Cate here had one and con fill you in on them. The 26 has a bolt on keel but it looked to me to be very robust. The 26 I saw was being sold for very cheap because the guy just wanted to get rid of it. It had a diesel that was out and rebuilt, and needed cosmetic work so I think he sold it for $2000. It had been sailed up from Panama, so that says something!

The Nor'seas are nice little boats, there is one a few boats down from me, but at $35K they are overpriced in my humble opinion.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 22:31   #7
cruiser

Wow, yes lottery wins like that are getting common eh

The 26 was on my list, just over 8'6"

Yes they do go lots cheaper says Google.

But is half the weight of the 30-3.

Half!

And still 4'8" draft.
Old 16-10-2018, 08:24   #8
cruiser

From here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=2742767
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanMartin View Post
A good site for comparing two boats is:

Sail Calculator Pro v3.54 - 3200+ boats

I caution that one should use it to compare similar boats to one another. Comparing a 30 footer to a 40 footer is pointless.

I compared the Yankee 30 to the Bristol 27 and see they are similar.

Next, let's compare the PHRF values. Bristol 27 rates 240 and the Yankee 30 rates 180 meaning the Y30 is faster by about a minute a mile. (240-180=60)

What that really tells the cruiser is that the Bristol will be a slower sailor in light air by about an hour a day of coastal cruising. Probably less weatherly, too. (50 - 60 nm typical day's run... or hoped for day's run)

Lot of info here, too: http://www.wavetrain.net/boats-a-gea...-comfort-ratio

Norm
Thanks Norm!

Speed is not a priority for me, except as a subset of the safety issue, in out-maneuvering weather.

So wrt to speed, the Y30 blows B27 out of the water.
Old 16-10-2018, 08:27   #9
cruiser

Speed also makes supplies etc carrying capacity less critical

But Y30 presumably also wins over the smaller B27.

Or am I ASSuming too much?

Note I plan to carry a watermaker, so will reduce the need to carry lots of that, perhaps get more fuel that way.
Old 16-10-2018, 08:28   #10

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
From here What EXACTLY is a "blue water boat"? - Page 16 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Thanks Norm!

Speed is not a priority for me, except as a subset of the safety issue, in out-maneuvering weather.

So wrt to speed, the Y30 blows B27 out of the water.
The Yankee wouldn't necessarily blow the Bristol 27 out of the water, but it should slowly sail off if the Skipper and crew could sail it to it's rating.

An experienced Skipper on a Bristol 27 might even be able to stay very close or even get ahead in fluky conditions or by using the available current (deeper water), land effect etc depending if the Yankee skipper and crew was inexperienced

Example: I was daysailing singlehanded along with a 4 person crewed Hunter 26.5 on Saturday (PHRF 204) and after 6 miles, I was 3 boat lengths behind and I had my kayak onboard, solar panels, anchors , etc

We had to tack our way out of the creek into a North Wind then we ran along the beach dealing with the strong gusts. My boat was on autopilot for half of that

As far as speed making supplies less critical, I'd say the additional space on the Yankee 30 would take care of that problem more than it's extra speed would

Also, the PHRF Rating on boats like the Bristol 27 and say an Alberg 30 may not be real accurate as compared to some of the boats that are raced more. Boats that are raced more often have their ratings updated usually lower the more they are raced

I raced an Alberg 30 (PHRF) quite a bit a few years back and our boat speed was practically the same, but I could out point the Alberg probably due to a new Mainsail and racing experience
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 08:34   #11

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

We are more inclined to the Tartan 30 with original interior design of two quarter berths. Similar design as Y 30.

If you are actively searching and ready to buy, there is a Tartan 27 on Cape Cod that I am told can be had by the first person to show up with a trailer to take it away. Myab be an overstatement by the boat yard guys but you get the idea. I have no financial interest, etc.
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 08:37   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
need some additional things after purchase.
Let's say equal price, condition and extra equipment, not real I know, but just to isolate on the model differences.

Also same driver, single handed not so experienced as a captain.

> The extra speed isn't that much

OK, seemed significant to me, but if not wrt to escaping weather, not important anyway.

> you'd almost have to have a diesel or some type inboard engine for the Yankee whereas on the Bristol 27 you could repower for $1500 or so with a new outboard

good point, in fact the specific B27 has never had an inboard
Old 16-10-2018, 08:40   #13

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Let's say equal price, condition and extra equipment, not real I know, but just to isolate on the model differences.

Also same driver, single handed not so experienced as a captain.

> The extra speed isn't that much

OK, seemed significant to me, but if not wrt to escaping weather, not important anyway.

> you'd almost have to have a diesel or some type inboard engine for the Yankee whereas on the Bristol 27 you could repower for $1500 or so with a new outboard

good point, in fact the specific B27 has never had an inboard
So that would mean it already has a cutout in the well?

Btw, do you know about the Bristol 27 site?

http://www.bristol27.com/

http://www.bristol27.com/category/bristol-specific
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 08:44   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanMartin View Post
We are more inclined to the Tartan 30 with original interior design of two quarter berths. Similar design as Y 30.

If you are actively searching and ready to buy, there is a Tartan 27 on Cape Cod that I am told can be had by the first person to show up with a trailer to take it away. Myab be an overstatement by the boat yard guys but you get the idea. I have no financial interest, etc.
Thanks, may get back on that, the trailer will be critical to the actual purchase process. As stated right now I'm choosing which between these two to spend time looking at.

Tartan 27 is a good one, haven't looked at others over that 8.5' limit until reading / hearing raves about the Yankee.

Slippery slope, more choices makes the job harder.
Old 16-10-2018, 09:01   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
So that would mean it already has a cutout in the well?
10HP long shaft runs well with genny & electric start, in place working and included

Boat is currently being sailed now, scheduled to go on the hard in 2-3 weeks.

> Btw, do you know about the Bristol 27 site?
yep tx