Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2019, 23:49   #31

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Rugged High Latitude Boats?

Very nice...... but is she insulated? That's more important than hull material AFAIAC
Old 04-04-2019, 00:57   #32

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy at SEA View Post
Maybe not high enough.... but I like it!!

https://www.inautia.com/used-boat-27...535010245.html
I do like the Dix designs, but with a boat like this one, you're still sitting in the hull and missing out on the spectacular surroundings. I think DH was looking for something with a raised salon seating.

On the Garcia, are they still building the cabin top out of fiberglass? Seems to defeat the major benefit of a metal boat... being dry and leak free from handholds and other through bolted fittings on deck. A few other production aluminum boat builders were pretty bad too about bolting in stainless handholds and deck hardware to an otherwise hole free boat.

Matt
Old 04-04-2019, 03:16   #33

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
That'll get messy with an alloy hull.
Cupro-Nickle is an alloy and the point is to use it as the hull plate.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:33   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowgas View Post
https://www.garciayachts.com/en/yach...xploration-52/

would fit the bill very well or if this is not big enough, try

https://www.garciayachts.com/en/yach...xploration-60/

Beautiful inside compared with most on the market.

Interesting in some ways, but this is not a serious expedition boat nor even a serious long distance passagemaker. Other than hull material, my Moody 54 is better than this for high latitudes. The Garcia fails deck storage/technical space, watertight compartments, pilothouse. And just look at the nav station used by sitting at the end of the salon settee -- bah! Imagine trying to do serious navigation there -- forget it. Doesn't even have any usable sea berths. Imagine coming into this master cabin for a kip in a soaking drysuit after a long night watch:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	189372

Just a fancy aluminium Beneteau, I think. A poseur -- expedition yacht.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:46   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I found this little gem today while perusing

https://www.davidwaltersyachts.com/S...adise-2015/552

Really like this one! Ticks almost all of my boxes, and at $1.5 million USD and only 4 years old a lot of boat for the money. Would cost at least $1 million more than that to build like that, maybe more.

Now THIS is a serious long distance boat. Great pilothouse, proper nav station, watertight compartments, dual propulsion (!) (like the old Moodys), etc. etc. Carbon rig! I like it.

Only problem for me is it has only two cabins
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 04-04-2019, 04:08   #36

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Not if you count the little passageway cabin [emoji38]
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:21   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Not if you count the little passageway cabin [emoji38]

Yes, well, it's not really enough accommodation for my purposes.

"Expedition boat" implies "expedition". It's not one retired couple plus a friend or hired crew. It's a group of people.

But the boat is tasty. Ticks 90% of my boxes. Made in Holland, too!

I'd take a 70' version of that, with two pullman cabins in addition to the ones in this boat, and it would be almost perfect. Just minor things -- the rig needs some corrections -- needs to be a real cutter (can't imagine what they were thinking -- no inner forestay??); maybe a lifting keel would be better; I would ditch the 10kW generator and do high powered alternators on the dual engines; 230v AC and 24v DC instead of 110 and 12; few small things like that. Of course this boat is far less pretty than the Bestaevers.

Love this:

"
The mechanical space on the Paradise 60 Morning Star is designed to be the ultimate engine room with large amounts of machinery space so that all of the equipment is accessible and maintainable. The dedicated mechanical space encompasses the entire aft section of the vessel and has two hatches. It is accessed through a water tight door. What happens in the engine room, stays in the engine room. That means that all the heat and smells, noise, tools and supplies stay in the engine room. If ever it came to a repower, the engines can be removed easily through an opening the above cockpit seats.
All of the machinery is installed in the mechanical space. The mechanical space has a fixed workbench with a vice. There is incredible well organized and accessible storage. There is a full sized tool box that will make any mechanic very jealous, even if they live on land! Also there are two 5K btu air conditioning compressors that cool the man cave space so you can stay as long as need be."

!!
Walt Whitman
Old 04-04-2019, 04:28   #38

Boat: Catalina 400

I can personally say that I have been onboard Tranquillo a few times and the boat has sailed around the world twice mostly doing north to south passage not trade wind sailing and 2 North West passages travelling west to east. The boat spent one winter frozen in that high Arctic at Ellesmere Island for 10 month(only visitors were polar bears) Oh I forgot to mention the owner did most of his passages single handed.
The interior is a little sterile but very bright and efficient. It only has 2 stateroom and a single head but tons of storage.

Byron.
Marinetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:34   #39

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Yes, well, it's not really enough accommodation for my purposes.

"Expedition boat" implies "expedition". It's not one retired couple plus a friend or hired crew. It's a group of people.

!!

I was thinking along the same lines. A boat like that should ideally have a master, a 2nd double cabin, and two more cabins of 2-3 berths each.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:35   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinetech View Post
I can personally say that I have been onboard Tranquillo a few times and the boat has sailed around the world twice mostly doing north to south passage not trade wind sailing and 2 North West passages travelling west to east. The boat spent one winter frozen in that high Arctic at Ellesmere Island for 10 month(only visitors were polar bears) Oh I forgot to mention the owner did most of his passages single handed.
The interior is a little sterile but very bright and efficient. It only has 2 stateroom and a single head but tons of storage.

Byron.

He did the NW Passage single handed ?

That's not my idea of fun!
Walt Whitman
Old 04-04-2019, 05:07   #41
cruiser

It must be April, don't you start one of these Arctic boat build threads every year at about this same time?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:22   #42

Quote:
Really like this one! Ticks almost all of my boxes, and at $1.5 million USD and only 4 years old a lot of boat for the money. Would cost at least $1 million more than that to build like that, maybe more.

Now THIS is a serious long distance boat. Great pilothouse, proper nav station, watertight compartments, dual propulsion (!) (like the old Moodys), etc. etc. Carbon rig! I like it.

“Carl M Soares Sr. is the skipper of Morning Star. The hull and deck of the Paradise 60 was built in the Netherlands in 2004 and Carl completed the fitting out himself, taking 10 years to meticulously finish the project.”

https://www.antiguabermuda.com/news/...-in-on-bermuda

“Paradise yachts are available as a basic hull and superstructure through Jachtbouw Folmer. The cost for design as well as the superstructure would be approximately 250,000 euros. Depending on the quality of the fit-out and the stage of desired completion the cost can range from 250,000 euros to 1,700,000.00 euros plus. ”
Paradise 60 :: Paradise Yachts
real_goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:43   #43

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Nothing substantive to add, just enjoy viewing the links to hi 6 to 7-figure boats...but the systems required to run same (electric winches, electric throttle controls, dual engines-plus 1 for redundancy) have me concerned as i am busy enof with 1 diesel, manual winches, fixed keel w/ cb, one rudder, one wheel, 2 sails (& occasional gennaker), 1 head, and no water ballast. Admittedly my "expeditions" are comprised of 1 to 2. Altho your description of last summer's trip pushing aside sea ice would make me want metal vs plastic and water tight compartments too...Good luck in your hunt and keep those links coming...thanks dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:59   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post

On the Garcia, are they still building the cabin top out of fiberglass? Seems to defeat the major benefit of a metal boat... being dry and leak free from handholds and other through bolted fittings on deck. A few other production aluminum boat builders were pretty bad too about bolting in stainless handholds and deck hardware to an otherwise hole free boat.
Matt
I don't believe Garcia ever did the decks in fiberglass. You might be thinking od Alures.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:14   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I don't believe Garcia ever did the decks in fiberglass. You might be thinking od Alures.
First two pictures are from a Garcia Exploration, last is an Allures:

https://imgur.com/a/iRTxOOh
real_goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat