Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2007, 19:39   #1

Location: Southern Alabama, about 1.7 hours from the Gulf of Mexico---CLOSE ENOUGH!
Boat: Montgomery 17
Rudder Problem

I have a Macgregor 25' and I know that the stock rudder isnt that popular in itself, but I am going to try and make due with it.

Last weekend, as I was motoring back in with my 9.9 outboard, I had the outboard locked in the straight position. Then, I was steering with only the rudder on the sialboat. It wouldnt turn that great at all(at time I would ahve to hang off the ladder and push the rudder manually with me foot) and I was wondering if the the boat was meant to be steered in that manner?

If not, is there an easier way to steer the outboard alone? The handle is so far down compared to where I need to sit it is a very uncomfortable position. Could I extend the handle with something? Anything?

Also, the rudder has quite a bit of "play" in it. It is loose and im not sure if it should be this way or not. Whatcha think?
Perithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 20:21   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Yeah! get rid of the backlash in the rudder. That would drive me nuts In a rough water situation that would be banging back-N-forth and may end up breaking something.

As for the outboard, after a certain speed it's better to steer with the motor then the rudder and also when docking. There are kits one can buy to extend the handle on out boards but the motor needs to be far enough away from the boat to do that if it's below the bulwark.

.................................................. ........._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 01:34   #3

PVC tubing.If ya have a morse control for ya motor.If you only have to "Steer"it.A few straight bits,a few angles and pvc glue.You work out the angles and you will be able to sit down where ya want to steer.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 05:54   #4

Location: Southern Alabama, about 1.7 hours from the Gulf of Mexico---CLOSE ENOUGH!
Boat: Montgomery 17
Thanks Yall!

Delmarrey: When you say get rid of the back lash in the rudder, how can I do that? Thats what I am wondering.

Thanks
Perithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 11:56   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Perit,
You may need some new pintles and gudgeons or you might want to buy some nylon or teflon inserts to put in your gudgeons. Either way it will take out the slop.
As others say you can rig up a steering arm for your outboard that is coordinated with your rudder.
No foot action on the rudder should be necessary.
Hope this helps a little.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 13:24   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Try:

Rudder/Motor Steering System
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 16:40   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perithead
Thanks Yall!

Delmarrey: When you say get rid of the back lash in the rudder, how can I do that? Thats what I am wondering.

Thanks
Also a lot of rudders develope slop where the tiller handle bolt goes thru then rudder. And as mentioned above the pintles and gudgeons may need some work.

One just has to locate the sloppy spots and bring them down to minium clearences......................................_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 16:46   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I am presuming this is the get up a go MacGregor???
Now also remember that the rudder gets a lot of it's steerage from the prop wash over the surface. It's not JUST boat speed through water. So stearing with just the Aux pushing and not flowing water over the blade will make the rudder a little less effective than normal. Combine that with the outboard pushing in one direction, and you may end up with little less effective becoming a lot less effective.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 17:24   #9

Boat: Laguna 26
My first sailboat was a Macgregor 25. One of the cheapest sailboats ever made and cursed by many.....that have never sailed one. When right they handle great and are easy to steer so you have something wrong. As has been said the tiller should not have any play where it attaches to the rudder. Do what ever it takes to fix it so that when you move the tiller the rudder turns. If it is very loose in the gudgons replace them and or the pintles. There is no bushing between them on a Mac but it wouldnt be hard to fit something if you wanted. Probably the most important thing is make sure the rudder is locked all the way down!!!! If not it is very hard to steer and is hard on everything including you. You shouldn't need to turn the motor unless you are trying to turn very sharp at low speed as in docking then turning the motor and rudder the same way will make it so you can do a 360 in a boat length. Linking the rudder and motor would work great but I never did and didnt have any problems as long as the rudder was down all the way.

The stock Mac rudder transmits quite a bit of weather helm when the wind gets up and can wear you out on a real windy day. Idasailor makes a balanced rudder that would be a great additon. I replaced mine after it broke in the Gulf and with the balanced rudder I made it could be steered with two fingers in 25kts of wind.

I hope you have as much fun in your Mac as we did ours
TX Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 02:07   #10

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Alan,
It sounds like the trailer sailor version, like a Nolex......not the 50hp fizzy sailor version that can motor at 30 knots.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 17:50   #11

Boat: Laguna 26
The Mac25 is...

a true sailboat not a 50/50 like the 26X & 26M. The 25 was the last Macgregor that was not water ballast. It has 625# (if I remember right) swing keel and uses a small <10 hp outboard.
TX Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2007, 00:49   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Arrr well then. So Perithead, you have to step onto the ladder and push the rudder around and your asking if that is normal practice.
Surely you must have been noticing some minor play before that and it's been getting progresivly worse. Whatever, you need to take a seriouse look before you don't have a rudder hanging on there at all.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2007, 15:31   #13

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Sell it and buy a keeler
Then your problems will treble.........
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder