Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2019, 01:27   #1

Roof top Dinghy

I am building a Chameleon nesting dinghy, long term I want to have a hard dinghy on the deck instead of an inflatable. Many reasons but mostly because having a sailing dinghy at the destination just looks like a lot of fun.
My question is has anyone ever mounted a dingy on top of, or in place of, a Bimini?
Looking a boat with cutter rigging like an Island Packet 380 (my dream) it just look like there is room on the deck and the idea a hard dinghy on davits in weather doesn’t sound fun.....

Upnorth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 02:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Roof top Dinghy

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Upnorth.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 03:01   #3

New to the forum, not sure how to edit the post....
What I meant to say is that it DOES’NT look like there is room on the deck for a dinghy on an IP380.....

I do think that there would be a lot of windage but would it really be much more than a bimini and an inflatable on a davit?
Old 13-09-2019, 03:05   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

On top of or instead of a bimini puts a lot of weight and windage up high. It's really desirable, especially if you get into weather, to keep everything as low and snug as possible.
It also seems a long way to have to lift the dinghy when putting it aboard.
For me the absolute best place for a hard dinghy is the cabin top aft of the mast. Usually this precludes a vang, but I've never had a vang anyway. I've also carried a hard dinghy on the foredeck, but this tends to take up valuable foredeck space.
Old 13-09-2019, 03:12   #5

I just find it curious, I am fascinated with the IP380 but have yet to see a single picture of one with a dinghy on the deck.
Yes it would be a lot of weight and windage up there but the halves would weight less than 50lbs a piece.....
Yeah I guess it’s a nutty idea, I just love everything about that boat, and love the idea of a fast little sailing dinghy. I want to work towards having it all at the same time.

Another thought came to mind, maybe IP owners have such great interiors they don’t have the desire to spend much time off the boat.....
Old 13-09-2019, 03:27   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Surely there's room on the coachroof of a 38-footer for a nesting dinghy!
Old 16-09-2019, 05:18   #7

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Surely there's room on the coachroof of a 38-footer for a nesting dinghy!
I'm certain there is too. The Chameleon has a small footprint when nested. Mine fits on the coach roof behind the mast on my 35ft boat with plenty of room to spare.

To the OP: if you can, try to see a Chameleon in person to get an idea of the height of the nested parts. It reduces visibility quite a bit. Plus, you will probably build some sort of cradle/support to nest the dinghy on deck, which will further raise the height.

I can't imagine trying to store the dinghy at the height of a bimini... bulky, heavy, windage etc.

Copacabana is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy