Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2005, 12:27   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Rolex Transatlantic Challenge

Rolex Transatlantic Challenge 2005

The Rolex Transatlantic Challenge 2005 is for monohull sailboats 70 feet LOD (length on deck) and longer attempting to break the world' s oldest ocean-racing record, that of the three-masted schooner Atlantic. Organized by the New York Yacht Club, with the cooperation of the Royal Yacht Squadron, the 3,000-mile race starts in New York on May 21, 2005, and finishes off the Lizard in England, covering the same racecourse followed by the legendary Atlantic 100 years ago.
Event website: http://nyyc.org/index.cfm?menu=270&openitem=270

With its entry list now final, the Rolex Transatlantic Challenge 2005, hosted by the New York Yacht Club (NYYC) with the cooperation of the Royal Yacht Squadron (RYS), is holding true to its promise of being one of the greatest sailing races of the 21st Century. On May 21, 20 entrants—ranging in size from 70 to 252 feet (21.3m to 77m) and averaging 112 feet (34.1m)--will set out on a course from New York to The Lizard in England, recreating the Great Ocean Race of 1905.
Clash of the Titans :
Two of the world's fastest racing monohulls (“Maximus” & “Mari-Cha IV”) are set to go head-to-head during the upcoming 2005 Rolex Transatlantic Challenge.

and more: http://nyyc.org/index.cfm?menu=270&openitem=270#

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2005, 14:07   #2
sjs

Thanks for the heads up. Since this is a race and not a cruise, I wonder why there are so many ketches? All else being equal, I would have thought a sloop would be a faster rig.
sjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2005, 19:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Wow Maximus is something. I reckon she will turn some heads. They are getting some fantastic speeds from her. I think the only draw back at the mo, is it is still early days for the crew and boat. They are still trying to come to grips with her and are learning something new about makeing her go faster, every time they take her out. I reckon the race to really watch her perform in, will be this years Sydney Hobart. She should have all the wrinkles ironed out by then and it is the main race the owner is aiming towards taking out.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote