Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2015, 02:08   #16

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Roberts 36 Ketch

Is this not the second time someone has asked after this boat? Is it the Tasmanian one?

Looks quite 'Foxy'
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 13:39   #17

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I think it was. I say was because I can't see it there any more. Looks like there is a happy new boat owner out there somewhere. I hope they come here and report, it looked to be in excellent condition.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-09-2018, 19:34   #18

Just an update to anyone reading this thread. I stumbled on it when I was looking for something else.

The boat in question ended up in my marina, way over in South Australia. She's been there and well looked after for a few years, but I see she is up for sale again. I won't post a link because I think that contravenes the rules about links to boats being sold, but if anyone was curious they'd find her online easily enough.

FWIW, I got to sail on her a couple of times and I feel she's a nice tidy boat that would make someone very happy to own.
Old 24-01-2021, 02:36   #19

So my wife and I bought the boat pictured and have spent plenty of time and money getting her into great shape again.
The former owner added more to the genoa which can mean that we do get a bit of weather helm - but I can understand the need for something extra up front because of the added complexity of the Ketch design - it’s much easier to just furl or unfurl the Genoa.
We sailed her in 2.5m swell and 20knots of wind crossing Spencer gulf and I can honestly say that she is not particularly tender - I have sailed a Catalina of similar size and half the age that rolled around a lot more.
I’m working towards fitting a Mizzenmast stay sail to give us some more performance in light wind.
Coming from the coastal racing scene I found that the room that we get with the beamy design and raised deck / high freeboard makes us comfortable in a big swell and when we are living below deck. Windage in the Marinas can be tricky - but close quarters manoeuvering on any full keel is a skill to be mastered (see youtube) as much as trimming sails is a skill.
We are about to re-rig so the real difference of having a ketch is about to be felt. We love the extra security that having the second mast and mizzen brings.
LeFevreBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 03:03   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFevreBreeze View Post
So my wife and I bought the boat pictured and have spent plenty of time and money getting her into great shape again.

The former owner added more to the genoa which can mean that we do get a bit of weather helm - but I can understand the need for something extra up front because of the added complexity of the Ketch design - it’s much easier to just furl or unfurl the Genoa.

We sailed her in 2.5m swell and 20knots of wind crossing Spencer gulf and I can honestly say that she is not particularly tender - I have sailed a Catalina of similar size and half the age that rolled around a lot more.

I’m working towards fitting a Mizzenmast stay sail to give us some more performance in light wind.

Coming from the coastal racing scene I found that the room that we get with the beamy design and raised deck / high freeboard makes us comfortable in a big swell and when we are living below deck. Windage in the Marinas can be tricky - but close quarters manoeuvering on any full keel is a skill to be mastered (see youtube) as much as trimming sails is a skill.

We are about to re-rig so the real difference of having a ketch is about to be felt. We love the extra security that having the second mast and mizzen brings.

Great to hear she’s getting some attention at last.

The PO was a great bloke but I think he’d bitten off a bit more than he could chew with Kathleen (is that still her name? I think he renamed her to appease his wife.) and his kids were not the most relaxing crew to have aboard.

I’ve been keeping an eye on her as I cross the Jervois Bridge from time to time and wondering how she was going and what would happen to her next.

Sounds like she’s found the owners she deserves at last.

Tags
ketch