Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2018, 02:25   #1

Robert Perry 47 Taiwanese Built

Hi all, thankyou all for your sage advice on hull forms and sizes of boats. I have reconsidered my choices based on this advice. I have come across a Robert Perry 47 ketch in need of some love and I am going to inspect it later in the week. I was hoping you could all chime in on any design faults, problems and remedies that are particular to this yacht. If the deal progresses I intend to register with Robert Perry and obtain a copy of the plans from him. I am particularly interested in any metallalurgical faults in the Taiwanese metals and how they can be inspected or repaired. Many thanks again and hopefully this vessel may turn out to be more practical,

Cheers Metal Boat
Metal Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 02:33   #2

Re: Robert Perry 47 Taiwanese Built

ROBERT PERRY 47 KETCH FOR SALE

This solidly built production offshore cruiser has circumnavigated twice and makes a perfect vessel for someone looking for a serious yacht for coastal and or international passages.

The vessel has been out of water 15 years, interior and rigging in various states of refit but some work needed to restore this vessel to former glory; but is an excellent bones boat for reinstatement. The vessel was acquired five years ago and was project for my grandfather unfortunately he passed away mid refit. My father had intended to complete the vessel refit and circumnavigate he unfortunately had accident while sailing in Asia and has lost use of an arm....so the vessel needs a new home.

She is powered by the ever reliable Ford Lehman, with gearbox and shaft [needs over haul but operational]. Rigging is complete but needs replacing, mast is in good condition and comes with variety of sails, winches etc included.

The vessel provides her owners a large Stateroom aft cabin with ensuite, an additional 2 forward twin cabins and second ensuite. Teak fitout and with 6.5 ft headroom provided throughout the yacht, and there is even a separate full height workshop / storage room.

The vessel comes as is but we understand only requires mechanical services and overhaul [operating 24 months ago], minor stateroom and forward cabin repairs [roof linings], but needs repaired bulkhead and galley rebuild to complete.

The vessels are known for their cruising ability and eagerly sought out.

TITLE 1980 ROBERT PERRY 47 CUTTER

MAKE ROBERT PERRY

LISTING TYPE Used

USAGE Cruising

HULL MATERIAL Fibreglass

HULL Mono

LENGTH - METRES 14.33

LENGTH - FEET 47.01

NO. OF ENGINES 1

ENGINE MAKE Ford

ENGINE MODEL LEHMAN

ENGINE TYPE Diesel

ENGINE POWER - HP 120

GENERATOR Nil
Old 23-12-2018, 02:55   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

I apologise in advance. .

Do not under estimate how much money a boat of that vintage that has been sitting that long can absorb.

Boats are way more than a hull.

I do not say this to be negative, it was said to me many years ago by an experienced sailor, I didn't listen to that sage advise, I decided to learn through experience.

Now of course if you get it for the right price this changes the equation BUT sometimes if you get a boat for free you've still paided to much.

No malice intended.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 03:09   #4

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Metal, I don't normally try to discourage people from buying boats, but...

I'm sure it's a great Perry design and was probably well built in its day, but the photos and description make me think of years and many tens of thousands of dollars to get that boat back into shape. Do you want to go sailing or fix up a boat for the next years?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume the price is insanely cheap for a 47 Perry design. "Insanely cheap" and "big boat" is an intoxicating combination- look at all the boat I can get for so little money! But ask yourself, what would that boat cost in perfect condition? It's going to take you at least that much money (and probably double) to get it into shape. I think most people here will agree that when you buy a properly refit boat, you are buying the previous owner's labour and parts for pennies on the dollar. It almost ALWAYS makes sense (in terms of time and money) to look for a boat that someone else has lovingly brought back to life.

The list of things to do on that boat is daunting, to say the least. I'm assuming you would take on the task yourself (at yard labour prices the boat would come out more expensive than a new one). Do you have the time, skills and, more importantly, the MONEY to finish the project?

Sorry to sound negative here, but I think you need to step back, slap yourself a few times and think this one through very carefully in terms of what has to be done, the labour and costs involved and also the years you will be fixing things instead of sailing.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 03:14   #5

Boat: Beneteau first 26

To.me.it seems.thst is gonna need over 50.000 on refit , but the design seems.nice , if there is no delamination or other structural issues , you like it and you want to spent the money go for it .

Ps from.the photos it seems that the parts of the boat have been sold as spare parts or have been stolen .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 03:15   #6

Indeed I understand perfectly, thats why I want to look very carefully at the boat and how much work is involved. The price is reasonable 30,000 AUD but I would love for others to chime in with ball park figures. I am happy to do all the work myself, I am honestly looking forward to it. There is much joy in engineering, but what I dont want to do is structural hull work (within reason some fibreglass work is fine, but not chopping out ballast etc). All the rest will be good solid fun and I have two boys to train as well. I expect this boat will need upwards of 150,000 to 200,000 to fix. I estimate its maximum value in this market in immaculate condtion to be 100,000 AUD. But again much appreciated for the words of caution Dale.
Old 23-12-2018, 03:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Boat View Post
I expect this boat will need upwards of 150,000 to 200,000 to fix. I estimate its maximum value in this market in immaculate condtion to be 100,000 AUD. But again much appreciated for the words of caution Dale.
Why not get one that has been refit for 100,000 then and get out sailing with your kids years ahead of schedule?

I think (or fear) your refit estimate is probably quite accurate if you go the whole nine yards and repower, get new sails, rewire, add solar etc. Perhaps a refit in stages that allows you to sail in between projects is better. It's very discouraging to work on a boat and NOT be able to sail it (I'm just finishing a big refit and missed out on many months of sailing... It's a bummer).
Old 23-12-2018, 03:29   #8

This might sound strange but I am Aircaft Mechanic and I actually want to do the restoration. Its part of the journey. Why do madmen build boats from scratch? I cant explain it. I can spraypaint extremely well and rebuilding the Lehmnan Diesel will be (relatively) easy for me. There is a load of work I can do myself. I have just taken redundancy so working on the boat full time is not an issue and when I am finished I will know every centimetre of the boat.
Old 23-12-2018, 03:31   #9

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Don’t do it!! If you need help fighting the urge get a survey.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 03:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Don’t do it!! If you need help fighting the urge get a survey.

I will most definately be geeting a survey done, already have someone in mind
Old 23-12-2018, 03:39   #11

A good professional and comprehensive survey is a good start. With that in hand, you can make a list of jobs and parts and get an idea of the costs involved. Then estimate the time to complete the project and triple it to get an idea of the time involved!
Old 23-12-2018, 04:02   #12

Check out this guy

this guy likes pain

typical aussie, I watch his stuff all the time: respect

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcJ...6_BHsnbytM0jzg
Old 23-12-2018, 04:56   #13

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Don't do it. In addition to everything already mentioned, there are going to be severe mold problems in this boat.

It's ruined.

Nothing short of tearing out the whole interior to bare hull is going to fix this one.

Be patient. Keep looking.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 05:24   #14

Boat: Defever 48'

Take it out in the ocean and sink her and then come back in a few months and catch some fish. Sunken sailboats make for great fishing.
Seriously find something else. The amount of cost even if you do it yourself is exorbitant.
Jrs1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 06:21   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Boat View Post
This might sound strange but I am Aircaft Mechanic and I actually want to do the restoration. Its part of the journey. Why do madmen build boats from scratch? I cant explain it. I can spraypaint extremely well and rebuilding the Lehmnan Diesel will be (relatively) easy for me. There is a load of work I can do myself. I have just taken redundancy so working on the boat full time is not an issue and when I am finished I will know every centimetre of the boat.
I do not doubt your skills or sincerity. Finanacially, this is a bad idea. Price our the cost of just standing and running rigging parts. Now get a price quote for sails (odds are sitting in storage this long they are shot) and don’t get cheapos price good sails. Then price out an electronics suite.

While you find this a tantalizing idea, financially it is a poor choice.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Taiwan