Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 19:00   #31

Boat: 1979 Gulfstar 50 Ketch
Re: Rigging / Engine Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
For a small engines on any sail boat an engine survey is a complete waste of money. You won't learn much that a regular survey would not cover. The engine is probably fine but all the "accessories" attached could be a problem. Paying a mechanic to start the engine cold and go over it is more than enough. Replacing the wire rigging and fittings isn't that big a deal. You'll end up spending some money no matter what it turns out to be.

For the most part the boat itself should be fine but that isn't the bigger picture with a 70's boat. It's all the stuff attached to the boat can cost the real money. Electrical standards on a boat that old were non existent when it was built and most boats back then didn't have but minimal electrics. All the deck hardware and gadgets inside the boat all may need work and some replaced. When you have to replace items it adds up to a ton of money fast!

Buying a boat that you have to sail home 500 miles isn't maybe a really great deal either. Buying long distance adds a lot of after closing costs and it means doing work far away from home where you don't really know anyone. You get pinched for time and have to spend more at premium rates. The clock becomes an enemy. You have to have the boat ship shape to leave where it is to get where you mean to be. Few 70's boats are worth that extra effort for a first boat. Having never seen it I would venture it's not as good a deal as you think. You need to step back and look at everything not just a few things. You could easily spend $10K and not do that much.

Very true, my problem though is that all the boats I like and within my budget will require some traveling to get back home. The seem to be more rare. The closer the better of course but I plan to get a boat that is very sailable , so why not sail her home ? In the researching process I may take a year and wait until something local appears, but you never know when a good deal may pop up in Florida for instance.
sunblock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, rigging