Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 03:30   #1

Boat: Endurance 37, Long Keel, cutter rig, Sea-Jay (1979, Knysna)
Unhappy RIB or inflatable keel tender?

This subject is driving me up the wall. The advantages of the RIB (zodiac yachtline 310) are as far as i can tell sturdiness and the ability to plane quickly. The advantages of the inflatable keel (zodiac fastroller 340) are that it weighs 34kg as opposed to 70kg, it can take a payload of 750kg as opposed to 500 and it can of coarse be stowed away in the laz as well as the davits. The RIB on the other hand will be left permanently on the davits this posing its own problems, in particular berthing stern-to.

Also both tenders can take a 15hp engine which is what i'm after.

My question- do a sturdy surface and fast planing outweigh the advantages of the inflatable keel (lightweight, stowable, heavier payload)??? Your opinions will be greatly appreciated!
Sea-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:44   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hello, Sea-Jay, and welcome to the forum!

You've hit the pros and cons pretty well. I chose a 9' 6" inflatable floor Achilles, because I wanted to be able to roll the dinghy up for storage on deck during passages. The Admiral doesn't like to go fast, so a rig that would plane with two wasn't important. It will plane with just me.

My engine is a 5 hp Tohatsu. Can the Zodiac fastroller really take a 15 hp? I tried a 9.8 hp on my Achilles, and it tried to flip over backwards when I gave it the gas!
Old 04-02-2009, 04:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
... My engine is a 5 hp Tohatsu. Can the Zodiac fastroller really take a 15 hp? I tried a 9.8 hp on my Achilles, and it tried to flip over backwards when I gave it the gas!
YEP, the 340FR is rated to 15HP.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:46   #4

Thanks for the replies guys, ye the fastroller can take a 15hp which is really quite impressive. I imagine it will absolutely fly with just me and a 15hp, and i reckon it will kick up quite a bit. I suppose i could always counter that by having the fuel tank strapped for'd along with a little grappling anchor. As much as a solid floor would be nice, I think the fastroller is ahead of the yachtline due to sheer practicality.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:24   #5

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Sea-Jay,
We had similar scenario as you a year or so back.
Orginally had a 2.something metre then a 3.4 metre Zodiac Fastroller. Packed away neat and OK for me with our 8hp.
Partner back problems got us looking at RIBS but recognised like you, weight on davits plus size could be an issue.
We finally went with one of the more modern injection moulded bottom / folding transom RIBs now made - and pleased to say we are 100% converted!

Zodia and Bombard are the same company, so if you check their versions of this type of dinghy suggest you focus on the Bombard one. Don't ask me why, as very similar prices to both brands, but strangely Bombard brand has same materials / fittings etc as for Zodiac fastrollers - and the Zodiac folding jobbie looks like something Zodiac should not make!

Anyway, the 3 metre Bombrad AX500 planes real easy with our 8 hp - the total engine / dinghy weight is only marginally more than fastroller. Plus bonus is it packs flat into a surfboard type bag for longer Ocean Passages which you can't do with a GRP RIB.

Our blog around http://www.yotblog.com/swagman/2164/ was when we got it. Suspect most pictures that far back are deleted now but it might help.

Good luck
JOHN
Old 04-02-2009, 06:57   #6

Cheers John, ye that sounds as though it could be a perfect combination, will definitely check out Bombard. Just to make sure ive understood you correctly, your Bombard has a GRP hull, but the folding transom allows it to be packed away - maybe not to the extent of a fastroller, but stowable nonetheless? As long as one is made to support a Honda 15hp, im sold.

Rich.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:12   #7

Just stumbled on a new Walker Bay tender, the Genesis 310 looks like a winner...
Walker Bay Boats
Old 04-02-2009, 12:20   #8

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Sea-Jay,
I've read reports saying the V floor is glass fibre but whoever reported that was fibbing. It is injection moulded plastic just like they use for the Topper and other strong / light sailing dinghies.
Not sure if the AX500 is rated for 15 hp but suspect you might finds it slightly over powered.........we plane easy two up with only 8 hp which we can readily remove / swing around single handed.
IMHO a heavier engine would not make it any faster (if that is even needed) so does not make sense.
Packs flat like a big surfboard in a supplied padded bag - I can just about carry it around single handed - and ours laid out on the cabin top when we went transatlantic.
Definately worth you checking them out.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 04-02-2009, 12:35   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
I'm no expert, but I have owned both.

I had a Mercury Airdeck 310. It was compact (deflated) but gave unstable on water performance. Even with the keel and floor inflated to 11.5psi, and the tubes to 3.5, it felt dangerous on plane.

I have replaced it with an Avon RIB lite 310. This model weighs less than the Mercury (both are hypalon) and has a foldable transom. It folds very flat. I find it superior and am much happier with it than the Mercury.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:39   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Unless you really have a stowage problem I'd take a RIB any day and not a PVC one get a Hypalon one.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:41   #11

RIB, RIB, RIB. Less barnacle cuts and tears, faster planing, a lot less flexing in waves, sand in the soft bottom dingy is an issue. With a RIB, just pull the plug while you are planing and dump some water on the floor, it flows out the hole. With a soft bottom, or inserted floor the grit is everywhere working at your fabric!. I've had nearly one of everything and lost a lot of money by not going for the rib to start with. It sounds like you have davits... perfect for the rib. You'll find a way to put the RIB on deck if you must for a long passage. I'd take a foot shorter RIB than a soft or inserted floor anyday, any conditions.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:43   #12

stay away from molded plastic.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:51   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
We have an inflatable that rolls up and fits into a cockpit lazarette. Thats the best bit!

Now the crook bit: The floor has parted from the tubes and we get a foot spa all the time

If we had davits I would buy a rib.

I do like the look of an air deck but if I had davits I would go the rib and no davits I would go an air deck...

15hp engine? That will be stolen.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 13:34   #14

Boat: Gemini105M
Last spring we bought a Walker Bay Odyssey 310 Air Floor. Weight was the prime consideration, I don't have davits right now, but even when I add them I didn't want to load up the stern. I also wanted something I could toss in the car (we use it as a chaseboat for kiteboarding). We are running a Merc 9.9 4-stroke. Planes easily with me, wife and 2 young children. It is well made with nice features. Downside is that the floor "undulates" when we are loaded up, but that is a trade-off I can live with. The family can even wakeboard behind (all but me, I'm a bit too heavy).

All in all very pleased, and a good price ($1350CAD).

Mark
delmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
stay away from molded plastic.
Any particular reason? All ive heard is good things about its strength and lightweight etc. An injection molded hull seems to be the best option as it will be easier to lift up over the side with a halyard than a traditional RIB.

Tags
dinghy, rib, tender, zodiac