Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2018, 13:18   #1

Boat: Columbia 9.6
Retrofitting VW automotive diesel

I have read several forums and articles regarding retrofitting an automotive diesel as an inboard so here is my take on this and correct me if I am wrong.

I think a smaller automotive diesel 1 liter possibly, with an oversized radiator mounted on the transom with an electric high output fan(s)could be doable. My motor sits in a teardropped shaped compartment under the stairs. The engine is directly beneath the cockpit. From an engineering point a view, it could work, a little unsightly, but not dropping thounsands on a marinized diesel. The only issue I foresee is the exhaust. Dry stacks can still be wrapped and vented through the transom. Engine room can also be vented but not sure how.

I got the tools and probably half the stuff needed for a go. Thoughts?

chrismct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 13:24   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Retrofitting VW automotive diesel

It is going to look and sound like a tractor When you have finished can you do a you tube video please.

Pete

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 13:28   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quite a few shrimp boats in the Gulf of Mexico used to use Cummins turbo Diesels harvested out of wrecked Dodge trucks and do what you suggest to include the radiator, air to air intercooler and dry stacked exhaust of course, just they ran the exhaust up.
Their motivation was $$$.

But they are a work Boat and things like noise and heat arenít nearly as important
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 13:32   #4

Boat: Columbia 9.6

The Volvo thats in there sounds like a tractor anyways. Soundproofing and adding a Hushpower muffler would fix the tractor sound. Dynamat worked wonders on a Mercury inboard I had years ago.
chrismct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 13:35   #5

Location: Home port is San Diego, California, but Rutea is currently in Panama for the hurricane season.
Boat: Contest 48

I don't know about using an automotive-style radiator on a boat - I've never seen it done and I'd imagine there's a lot of good reasons why. Typically, a radiator is a fairly fragile component and transoms can take a beating.

We had a Pathfinder engine (a marinized VW Rabbit engine) and it was reliable and had a very low weight-to-horsepower ratio. There was a guy in Canada who did an excellent job of providing support for the engine - I don't know if he's still around.

I would encourage you to install a properly engineered marine engine.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 08:58   #6

Boat: Columbia, MK II, 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
It is going to look and sound like a tractor When you have finished can you do a you tube video please.

Pete

I would like to see a video also. It seems most of the YouTube sailboat videos are of the "ditch the diesel for electric" crowd.
Mr Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 08:59   #7

Boat: O'Day 40

Check the Origami Boat group on Yahoo.

Some of them have dry exhaust.
Old 13-06-2018, 09:14   #8

What about a longtail version a la Thailand?? You could mount the engine with radiator on the transom with a 30í trailing shaft. 😇
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 09:29   #9

If there is already an inboard engine in the boat, you should already have a raw water inlet, strainer and pump, as well as a wet muffler of some sort. Bowman in the uk make heat exchangers for most engines, including VW. However, the only VW diesels I have heard of are 1.5 or 1.6l 4cyl engines which may be too big for your boat. What is the 1 litre engine out of??
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 09:40   #10

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Would be inclined to think about putting the radiator on deck but why not buy or make a heat exchanger? Getting a gearbox may be problematic. You probably need to change the fuel pump to de-rate the engine and tune it for the lower revs or you will never get a prop to match and will blow the engine. Car engines have a much lower duty cycle, 100hp in a car = 50hp in a boat.
By the time you have it sorted it would probably be better to get a used marine one - do a serch for 'ex lifeboat engine'
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 09:49   #11

Boat: Pearson 323

Use a heat exchanger, not a radiator if you want to keep FWC on the engine. You can install an electric salt water pump or add a pump onto the engine (preferred) for pumping salt/raw water. You can make a wet exhaust elbow simply by welding in a pipe into an elbow, "U" or any pipe that's well below level to let salt water dump into the exhaust. Use stainless if you want it to last longer than a year. Have seen water pipes tapped into cast iron exhausts work also but they tend to crack. Get appropriate motor mounts.

How are you matching it up to the gear box?

So you'll need to fabricate a raw/salt water pump, put in a heat exchanger, get a water lift muffler and make up a wet elbow of the exhaust. You should size the exhaust to at least 2". 2.5" might be better if it's a long run. Mount the exchanger off the engine so vibration is not an issue.

Have fun.

Al
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 10:01   #12

OP "Soundproofing and adding a Hushpower muffler would fix the tractor sound."

On a Volvo (assuming md2? or 2030?) a lot of the noise is through the intake system. Adding a plenum on the intake can really quiet it down.

Your biggest issue with putting in a VW is going to be the adapter plate for engine to reverse gear and the input shaft coupling (flex plate/flywheel). The engine, exhaust and cooling is easy. Getting the engine connected to the gearbox/transmission not so much.
Old 13-06-2018, 10:25   #13

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Mercruiser was using marinized VW engines a while back. Parts might be readily available for you successful application.
Old 13-06-2018, 10:43   #14

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
Use a heat exchanger, not a radiator if you want to keep FWC on the engine. You can install an electric salt water pump or add a pump onto the engine (preferred) for pumping salt/raw water. You can make a wet exhaust elbow simply by welding in a pipe into an elbow, "U" or any pipe that's well below level to let salt water dump into the exhaust. Use stainless if you want it to last longer than a year. Have seen water pipes tapped into cast iron exhausts work also but they tend to crack. Get appropriate motor mounts.

How are you matching it up to the gear box?

So you'll need to fabricate a raw/salt water pump, put in a heat exchanger, get a water lift muffler and make up a wet elbow of the exhaust. You should size the exhaust to at least 2". 2.5" might be better if it's a long run. Mount the exchanger off the engine so vibration is not an issue.

Have fun.

Al
I would also use a heat exchanger. I've dealt with lencocoolers and had a very satisfactory outcome. Let him know the heat rejection requirements of the engine and he can recommend a size. He probably can do it just knowing the HP of the engine. He has been in this business a long time.

Lenco Coolers - marine heat exchangers, marine oil coolers

Another google hit. No personal experience with these folks.
Custom & Stock Marine Heat Exchangers & Cooling Systems - Orca, WA

The transmission end should be a standard SAE size and may even fit your current transmission without an adapter .
https://www.depco.com/buyers-resourc...lywheel-sizes/

I would use a agricultural diaphragm pump for raw water feed. Very tough and should last a LONG time pumping sea water. Just one example below. Many hits with a google search. I've had excellent service from the ones that John Deere sells but I can't remember the name of the supplier.

Polypropylene Pumps AR North
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 10:45   #15

Apologies for being lazy and not looking it up. Your boat is 31' and 10500# with possibly a Volvo MD7A installed which is a 10 hp motor. A VW diesel is going to be way too big both physically and output wise to fit your boat.

Tags
diesel