Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2011, 14:45   #1

Boat: Gib sea 43
rerigging costs 45 foot mono

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for eurozone /uk for rerigging a bog standard 45 foot mono? standing and running.

cheers

steven
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 14:55   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: rerigging costs 45 foot mono

Steven, that is going to be a ballpark £3000. My 31 with twin spreader was £2000 including running rigging. Don't forget the boatyard will want £200 to remove and lower the mast, then put it back up again.

You can ask riggers for a quote, but the boat will need to be within there travel range.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 14:56   #3

Boat: CHEOY LEE, GW42, 42', BELLISSIMA

Steven, don't know if this will be of great help to you, but, doing complete rerigging of 42' Cheoy Lee....included are new rod and wire rigging, all new eyes, turnbuckles, new Furlex (forestay), and additional parts: Part total: $14429.42. Labor: $3850.00. Total: $18279.42.....(this total includes some minor work on boom). Marina in Virginia. best regards, bb
bill brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 17:34   #4

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

It varies a lot from rigger to rigger. My advice: Get as many quotes as you can!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 18:22   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41

It sure does vary. I have a Sceptre 41 with Rod rigging. The estimate came in at less then US$ 6k to replace everything but the forestay which had been replaced earlier. I got another bid from someone else not far away and it was double that. Which rigger drives a nicer car? That didn't include standing rigging. BTW my boat is a single spreader rig with fore and aft lowers.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 19:56   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Rerigging 42 cutter. All new wire, all new bronze turnbuckles (that's rigging screws to you guys over there), new toggles, Staloks, eyes, pins, and even chainplates, basically everything but mast tangs and the mast for under USD$4,000.00 Will do the installation myself but the rigger estimated $1000-$2000 max labor to do the work.

All high grade 316 stainless, no cheapo gear. Purchased from a reputable rigger in business over thirty years.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 19:56   #7

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Yeah, we replaced all the standing rigging on our 40' yacht for about half the cost quoted by a local rigger for the 30' yacht next to us on the hardstand. And, as mentioned above, you can guess which rigger had the brand new untility truck, and which drove an old (but seerviceable) beater...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 19:22   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
And, as mentioned above, you can guess which rigger had the brand new untility truck, and which drove an old (but seerviceable) beater...
Don't necessarily judge this way. I get it often. I drive a Mercedes. A six year old Mercedes that I paid $0.26 on the dollar for, when it was still under warranty. It still LOOKS new. I'd much rather have a rigger with a truck that looks new (he cares), than one that drives a beater (he doesn't care about his tools). This IS your rig... It's important.

When you go to the Doctor, do you want to see him driving a new Porsche, or a 10 year old Toyota? I want the successful Doctor...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 19:30   #9

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

In Australia I worry about the tradesman that operates an F100 or F250 4x4 trucks vs the Thai/Jap 4 cylinder utes. Their running and maintaince costs are higher as well as their charges.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 19:31   #10

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

What about one that has a 20yo immaculate vehicle? I much prefer an older clean car to a new one.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 19:32   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
What about one that has a 20yo immaculate vehicle? I much prefer an older clean car to a new one.
THAT is EXACTLY the guy/gal I want.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 20:07   #12

Boat: N/M 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for eurozone /uk for rerigging a bog standard 45 foot mono? standing and running.
There is no such thing as a standard 45 foot mono when it comes to rigging.

What's the boat builder/model/year, rig I,J dimensions, how many masts, how many spreaders, what's the existing rigging material and diameter, mast tang type, discontinuous or continuous standing rigging, turnbuckle types, and rigging pin sizes.

For example, I have a 60' aluminum triple spreader masthead sloop rig with continuous rod rigging set into open body bronze turnbuckles, using Navtec tangs, with runners and checkstays - cost to replace was $10,000.

The re-rig I actually did was to replace the rod with dyform wire (now known as compact strand), replace the navtec tangs with Gibb hooks, and price to re-rig with turnbuckles and all, was $5,000.

So the price range is enormous and really depends upon what you're planning to do with the boat.

As previous posts pointed out, you should talk with several rig shops and see what their prices are like and see which folks you communicate well with - the person that best understands what you are looking for is the one most likely to do a re-rig job you'll be happy with.

- rob/beetle
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 20:08   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Don't necessarily judge this way. I get it often. I drive a Mercedes. A six year old Mercedes that I paid $0.26 on the dollar for, when it was still under warranty. It still LOOKS new. I'd much rather have a rigger with a truck that looks new (he cares), than one that drives a beater (he doesn't care about his tools). This IS your rig... It's important.

When you go to the Doctor, do you want to see him driving a new Porsche, or a 10 year old Toyota? I want the successful Doctor...
Don't judge a book by it's cover, don't judge a rigger by his or her truck. I picked mine by knowing them and their reputation, thirty plus years in business and by checking up on them to make sure they weren't recently sold to an unscrupulous scoundrel and now shipping garbage. Have no clue what they drive.

And do you know what they call the kid that barely graduated from med school with a C average?

Doctor.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rerigging