Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 17:19   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Repowering a Bahama 30

I have purchased an Islander Bahama 30 project boat sans engine. It probably had a 2 cylinder Volvo Penta engine originally. I know of a good 3 cylinder Universal M25 for sale. Is it a match? Does anyone have experience repowering a Bahama 30?
cwcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 22:36   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcary
I have purchased an Islander Bahama 30 project boat sans engine. It probably had a 2 cylinder Volvo Penta engine originally. I know of a good 3 cylinder Universal M25 for sale. Is it a match? Does anyone have experience repowering a Bahama 30?
Cwcary

I also have a islander. Can I ask what you ended up doing to repower her?
jeffjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 06:16   #3

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Re: Repowering a Bahama 30

Found a good used Universal M25 3 cyl 21 hp through an acquaintance. A bit of a tight fit. New motor mounts had to be glassed in, replumbed etc. The alternator was the tricky part because of space. Had to encroach thru the trunk wall a bit into part of the space used by a drawer in the galley. Over budget of course but I'm very happy with the results.
cwcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcary View Post
Found a good used Universal M25 3 cyl 21 hp through an acquaintance. A bit of a tight fit. New motor mounts had to be glassed in, replumbed etc. The alternator was the tricky part because of space. Had to encroach thru the trunk wall a bit into part of the space used by a drawer in the galley. Over budget of course but I'm very happy with the results.
Thanks for the info. My md7a might be getting close to its end of life I want explore all my options. I am leaning toward the beta 16 if I can get the money.
jeffjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:53   #5

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Re: Repowering a Bahama 30

Helped a friend with is Bahama 30, it had an Atomic 4, which came in a number of them.
Universal 2 cylinders were popular replacements for the original Atomic 4 but would be a bit under powered for that hull, the 3 cylinder would be a better match, I don't think you'll find any motor that would be a direct bolt in for another brand, like the previous thread said, it took a little custom work but came out with a satisfactory result.
I had a Catalina 30 with one of the two cylinder Universal years ago and found it too weak, in anything but flat water you were not going anywhere, the 3 cylinder would be a much better match for that size/weight boat. You might also want to ask what transmission and prop he used, it's just as important to know when re-powering.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle