Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2017, 21:37   #1

repower quandry You can help.

The Md11 on my 323 went south on me. I bought a marinized Kubota but now I'm out of money till October, so I can't afford to have it installed. Question, I have a 20 hp merc outboard. Would this end be enough for coastal cruising? Will it be too heavy to hang on the transom? I hate to sit out the entire summer. Your help is appreciated.
capnmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 00:15   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: repower quandry You can help.

It would be quite helpful if you told us what you're proposing to mount it on. As in what type of boat.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 01:30   #3

I gather that would be PETERSON 323? (correct), if so your out board if mounted correctly on the transom with preferably some sort of re tractable platform(boarding ladder) then it should provide you with enough horse power to get out sailing,(just be careful when going into reverse as your stooping power probably wont be good with that small prop and that high in the water)

The trick will be getting the outboard to it's correct in water depth both for cooling and to try and prevent propeller slip, the Peterson has a suitable transom so shouldn't be to hard,

Careful with all that gasoline on board!!!!!

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 08:11   #4

Thank you for the reply. Yes it's a Pearson. Should I re enforce the transom or is it OK as is?
Old 22-07-2017, 08:37   #5

Boat: Newport 30

Honestly Capnmo, installing an outboard (properly!) is almost as involved as installing an inboard unless the new inboard is radically different than the previous model.
I re powered from an MD11 (2 cylinder) to a Beta 20 (3 cylinder modified Kubota) 2 years ago. I did the 'grunt' work while a terrific mechanic did the 'pro' work, and I was pleasantly surprised at the very reasonable cost.
Personally, I would reconsider the outboard idea.

Hope this helps

Steve
westwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 08:47   #6

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Is the old one out? Is the new on in place? Neither of these tasks require money. Then you just solve one problem after the another 'till it's done and go sailing. May take a few days but the difference between you and expert engine installer is they learned by doing..
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 09:09   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmoe View Post
The Md11 on my 323 went south on me. I bought a marinized Kubota but now I'm out of money till October, so I can't afford to have it installed. Question, I have a 20 hp merc outboard. Would this end be enough for coastal cruising? Will it be too heavy to hang on the transom? I hate to sit out the entire summer. Your help is appreciated.
I doubt it would be to heavy however unless it has a long leg, 28" it may not be ideal.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 09:30   #8

The transom should be strong enough as long as you use say four attachment points (similar to the Pearson boarding ladders quite often fitted to the 323), then use backing plates/large washers (min) on the inside/outside, again using the ladder (if you have one as a guide),for the plates some thing like Minimum 2" -3" diameter,this is only 20 Hp you are talking about with very limited torgue on that small prop, moving the Pearson wont be easy at first as they are a quite heavy style vessel,and again stopping power will be basically nil if moving forward at any pace, as it's a sailboat I'm sure you would rather be sailing and this temporary fit up would be there for no wing or helping on /off berthing!

As previous remarks it must be done correctly how ever i dis agree on the amount of work to do this- i could knock this out in a morning, but could not re fit a different engine probably in much under a week, Fitting a different engine has a host of things to establish:

1) Engine room size
2) Engine bed height and room under sump/width of engine bed
3) Length of new engine compared to previous(prepare to move mounts)
4) Height of engine compared to previous
5) Gear box to fit or not(perhaps comes with gear box?)
6) Gear Box ratio's are they the same?
7) Engine mounts move or refit or resize
8) Engine alignment to shaft(to be with in a few thou)
9) Gear box flange (is it the same to fit propeller coupling?)
9 a) Fuel lines/fittings/possible re run
10) Wiring panel to fit
11) Extract old wiring loom and replace with new
12) Exhaust connections/ alignment/re size issues
13) Water intake size and location /re run hoses/correct size for new engine
14) Battery cables and alternator cables (re -run or change)
15) Throttle and gear boxes linkages and adjustments
16) Engine trials/ sea trials

And countless other minor or major annoyances that WILL crop up, whether it's a 2- 3- 4- 6 - 8-12-16 cylinder all these above items need to be taken into account and after spending thirty plus years as a commercial Chief Engineer i can tell you to do it "right" takes time, way more than fitting an out board bracket!!

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 10:11   #9

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Mounting your outboard using a commercial bracket should not be very complicated or expensive. Just be careful to get the prop depth right. The horsepower sounds adequate. However, if you do not have remote controls I would not advise proceeding. Stopping power in reverse is quite limited but if you are hanging over the transom attempting to shift and control the throttle that will be the least of your potential problems.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 10:53   #10

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmoe View Post

There is some difference between costal cruising and summer sailing in protected waters. If you have protected waters, it might work to use an outboard on a 32' boat. The 20 hp is certainly enough power to move around.
But any cruising in a coastal ocean swell will poop your outboard and make it useless.
If you have a dingy with an outboard, it would be better to use that to move your yacht. Make the dingy fast alongside, about amidships. Use the dingy's outboard and the yacht's rudder. It takes two people and works very well. Then you have no installing, no risk to the outboard, no dangerous gasoline aboard your yacht, and no uninstall at the end of the season.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 12:24   #11

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
... Make the dingy fast alongside, about amidships. Use the dingy's outboard and the yacht's rudder. It takes two people and works very well. ...
I'll second that - with good communication, it works like a charm. Then haul the dinghy aboard and go sailing! With a short-shaft OB, it can be drowning one second then racing like hell the next, hanging on a yacht transom in any waves. (Good lateral thinking, KP!)
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 17:05   #12
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

If you don't have time to reppwer with an inboard, how do you have time to repower with an outboard?

The tasks are virtually identical.

1. Devise a mounting system,
2. Set in place.
3. Adjust angles for propulsion.
4. Connect fuel.
5. Connect controls.

The only real difference is with the inboard, you need to connect to the prop shaft and exhaust. Those tasks, take maybe a few hours to figure out and complete.

In all mounting and connecting an inboard is not that much more an onerous and labourious task.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 17:15   #13

Loads of thanks to all of you Esp. Capn Steve. I figured you were a squid when I saw where you lived. I was a neighbor for a while (Angeles) Got a Boonie Rat buddy on some Island not far from you, I keep saying I'm going to fly over and see him. If I do I'll buy you a San Magoo, Thanks again everyone,
Old 22-07-2017, 17:16   #14

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

When finally installing the new motor check the prop rotation. From memory the Volvo MD revolves the wrong way so you will need a new prop.

Regards,
Richard
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower