Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2018, 09:27   #1

Replacing standing rigging, looking for rigger recommendation East Coast USA

Hi

We have 15 year old standing rigging we would like to replace. Can anyone please offer thier experince-recommendation of having their standing rigging replaced on the East coast of FL or up to Chesapeake? We will want to pull the mast and carry some electrical wire replacements also. Time wise and logistical East FL works, but we maybe travelling up the East coast and into the Chesapeake.

Happy to do bulk of work ourself or work with rigger if the price is right. Will need to purchase rigging or have made, along with crane hire. Feedback on price vs size of your boat and work done would help, but looking for solid work recommendations of rigger-boat yard over price.

Boat is 37ft sloop. We are bluewater cruisers from England, so looking for local knowledge.

Any help or advice offered would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Wild Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 13:14   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Replacing standing rigging, looking for rigger recommendation East Coast USA

I don't have anyone to recommend, but somewhere around Stuart, Florida, you'll probably find the expertise at the best prices. Further south and things get pricey. Further north you have fewer options and competitors. Jacksonville is bigger but I'd expect a pricier market.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 16:44   #3

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
Re: Replacing standing rigging, looking for rigger recommendation East Coast USA

Mack Sails in Stuart has a good reputation. I had rigging replaced in Annapolis. Would avoid because of high prices.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 16:54   #4

I used Chesapeake rigging Annapolis for a complete job including painting and a mast section mod. It wasn't cheap but they did a good job. That was a long time ago though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 18:36   #5

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

Mack sails in Stuart FL pulled our mast, repainted, refurbished furlers, all new standing and running rigging and new sails....
Excellent quality and very good pricing....
Just don’t expect it to be done yesterday, they are busy...

Also can try Florida Rigging and Hydraulics, in West Palm beach, and Nance and Underwood Rigging in Ft Lauderdale...both of these will.be more expensive than Mack. All great riggers though...
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 08:02   #6

Boat: Beneteau 361, 36

I am interested in any cost information for this as well. My boat is 15 years old am while, it has not been anywhere but the Chesapeke, rigging inspection and replacement is something I need to consider in the near future.
Gripfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 08:10   #7

Boat: Vagabond 52 staysail schooner

Strongly recommend Keys Rigging in Marathon, FL. Complete replacement of standing rigging and one chain plate including new Schaefer headsail fuller for 51 ft ketch came to 18k. Be your own judge on price, but the quality of work, materials and knowledge was worth it for us.
gwbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 08:18   #8

Boat: islandpacket

I had mine done. I used Jennings Boatyard in Reedville Virgina. A very DIY yard and used Bay area rigging. He can do the whole thing or part.
The boat yard is just off the bay just below the Potomac river. I'm just a happy customer. PM me for contact info me
Old 17-03-2018, 08:22   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

Oasis Boatyard, St Augustine, FL and Rick and Sarah Gardner, riggers. PM me for
contact info if needed. You can’t do better!
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 08:58   #10

Boat: Boatless

Christian Dam of Dam Rigging is tops. He is in South Florida. And more reasonable than others mentioned.

dam@damrigging.com

(305) 490-0675
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 09:03   #11

Boat: Baba 40

I can second Rick and Sarah. While the work they did for me was not major, they were responsive and knowledgeable.

I can also recommend Stephen at East Coast Marine Rigging at Herrington Harbour North Marina on the Chesapeake Bay. Stephen has done all my work for over 8 years and he is one of the best. Very careful and meticulous. He has done many rigging refits. HHN has full facilities including haulout and crane services and multiple on-site contractors for other work as well as an on-site West Marine. All very convenient.
ctrosclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 10:44   #12

If you want the best price, try riggingonly.com just send them your boat make, length, for a quote...be sure to check that the lengths/end styles are correct, as sometimes Previous owners make changes from the as designed particulars...
ZoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 11:47   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You may find these videos interesting.

Rigging Videos

Drake Paragon Replacing Standing Rigging
Location = Oriental, NC, USA
Work was done at Sailcraft Boat Yard, Oriental.
Boat is Westsail 42
Part 1
https://youtu.be/CFelTot8K_s

Part 2
https://youtu.be/Vo_H1qmUroY

What makes a good rigger?
https://youtu.be/BJZvb6lV7sk

Turnbuckles
https://youtu.be/cJIH07wjQDw

Replacing a Forestay
https://youtu.be/hrpJfZTmgrw
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 13:25   #14

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoBe View Post
If you want the best price, try riggingonly.com just send them your boat make, length, for a quote...be sure to check that the lengths/end styles are correct, as sometimes Previous owners make changes from the as designed particulars...
I had these guys do my lifelines. Just sent them the old ones and a week later the new ones arrived. Great work. If you know your existing rigging is good this will be your least expensive option but there is the risk of them not being there.

For the best possible quality work I'd recommend Annapolis Rigging at Bert Jabins Yacht Yard in Annapolis. Yes they are probably more expensive than most but they do million dollar yachts and race boats and still treat little guys with courtesy and respect, do the work on time and at a fair price. They know their stuff, and Jay the owner has several rigging related patents to his name. You can work on your mast as you like while it's in their section of the yard.

Jabins is also one of the most professionally run yards you'll find. It runs like a swiss watch. While services are expensive there, they can tell you the charges accurately up front and stuff happens when they say it will happen and it happens right.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 13:57   #15

Boat: Swan 40; Yankee Dolphin; International Fireball, Naples Sabot; Klepper Kayak with Sail Rig

I would recommend Chuck Poindexter of Sound Rigging. They are base in Essex CT, but Chuck winters in Florida.
Alan j is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, men, rigging