Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2017, 11:28   #1

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
replace fore stay without changing tension?

I need to remove my anchor roller and bow plate for repairs. The jib stay attaches at the bow plate. I have a roller reefing jib with no turnbuckles. Do I need to remove the jib before disconnecting the jib stay and roping to my winch base for temporary security? One source tells me yes because of the weight on the stay. My instinct says weight on the stay simply means less resistance when reattaching to the repaired bow plate and might be a plus. The temporary would be a foot or two creating less than an inch of slack in the stay, easily adjusted by a higher attachment. What am I missing?
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 12:09   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: replace fore stay without changing tension?

Yes, definitely remove the jib prior to disconnecting the stay. Since if you get much wind at all while the stay is loose like that, & it has a jib on it, the wind will surely find loose spots in the furl & work to open the sail up. Thus causing it to thrash about & break expensive s**t. You also need to be sure to keep the foil as straight as you can while it's disconnected. Since if you dimple or kink it, you'll wind up having to replace the damaged foil section.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 15:37   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

With the sail and the foil removed, then it is easy to secure the stay.

When we have undone the forestay, we usually take the genoa halyard and the spinnaker halyards to the deck cleats, with a fair bit of tension on them, to help support the mast from the front while the stay is disconnected.

There may be a turnbuckle hiding somewhere, you'll want a way to tension the forestay when you reconnect it. If there isn't, now might be a time to look into installing one.

If you don't want to do that, then be prepared for a struggle getting it all hooked back up, you may have not only to ease the backstay considerably, but possibly the cap shrouds and lowers, as well. And put more tension on the halyards, trying to move the two connection points closer together. It can be a struggle.....but doable. And then, re-tune the rig.

At that point, you might feel better about it if you have read a few articles about tuning your rig. It will help you develop confidence in doing it yourself. There will be some information in the Rigging & Maintenance Forum, if you want to take a look.

Ann
Old 30-10-2017, 15:43   #4

[QUOTE=JPA Cate;2509694]With the sail and the foil removed, then it is easy to secure the stay.

When we have undone the forestay, we usually take the genoa halyard and the spinnaker halyards to the deck cleats, with a fair bit of tension on them, to help support the mast from the front while the stay is disconnected.

There may be a turnbuckle hiding somewhere, you'll want a way to tension the forestay when you reconnect it. If there isn't, now might be a time to look into installing one.

If you don't want to do that, then be prepared for a struggle getting it all hooked back up, you may have not only to ease the backstay considerably, but possibly the cap shrouds and lowers, as well. And put more tension on the halyards, trying to move the two connection points closer together. It can be a struggle.....but doable. And then, re-tune the rig.

At that point, you might feel better about it if you have read a few articles about tuning your rig. It will help you develop confidence in doing it yourself. There will be some information in the Rigging & Maintenance Forum, if you want to take a look.

Ann[/QUOTE
Thank you.
dave
Old 31-10-2017, 08:47   #5

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Yes, remove the sail as the weight will make it hard to deal with. Then use a halyard or 2 connected to a strong point near the bow, like mooring cleats, to take tension off the forestay. Loosen the backstay as far as the turnbuckle allows and count and record the turns or the number of threads or put some tape on it to mark the original location so you can put it back. If you have swept back spreaders, then you may will likely need to loosen shrouds. Again, pay attention to how much you loosen them so you can put them back. Tension those halyards one more time and then just unpin the stay from the chainplate/stem fitting. You don't have to remove the foil from the stay. The whole foil-furling-stay assembly can be swung out of the way and secured in a way to keep it as straight as possible.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 11:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
Yes, remove the sail as the weight will make it hard to deal with. Then use a halyard or 2 connected to a strong point near the bow, like mooring cleats, to take tension off the forestay. Loosen the backstay as far as the turnbuckle allows and count and record the turns or the number of threads or put some tape on it to mark the original location so you can put it back. If you have swept back spreaders, then you may will likely need to loosen shrouds. Again, pay attention to how much you loosen them so you can put them back. Tension those halyards one more time and then just unpin the stay from the chainplate/stem fitting. You don't have to remove the foil from the stay. The whole foil-furling-stay assembly can be swung out of the way and secured in a way to keep it as straight as possible.
really helpful response. I'm convinced this one pays to hire a rigger.
Old 31-10-2017, 11:37   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

What sort of furler do you have? Almost all of them have a turnbuckle hidden under the drum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 11:49   #8

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
really helpful response. I'm convinced this one pays to hire a rigger.
Well, it depends. I did the same thing on my boat this season, a quite similar boat judging by the pictures. Loosened the backstay, I didn't have to loosen anything else. Couple of minutes of work. A stopper knot / prusik might come in handy to persuade the forestay to line up the pin hole while reinstalling...
_andi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 11:53   #9

... and I wouldn't recommend adding a turnbuckle. It's the weakest link in the chain. Mine broke (hence the experience) and some old salts told me plenty of folks avoid turnbuckles in forestays and, if need be, use metal stripes with holes in them, dunno the english term for these.
Old 31-10-2017, 12:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by _andi_ View Post
Well, it depends. I did the same thing on my boat this season, a quite similar boat judging by the pictures. Loosened the backstay, I didn't have to loosen anything else. Couple of minutes of work. A stopper knot / prusik might come in handy to persuade the forestay to line up the pin hole while reinstalling...
What boat is so similar to a Morgan Out Island 33? Your post does not say.
Old 31-10-2017, 12:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
What sort of furler do you have? Almost all of them have a turnbuckle hidden under the drum
Hood Seafurl 2. If there's a turnbuckle I need new glasses, but thanks for your interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roller-A 005.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	158635  
Old 31-10-2017, 12:58   #12

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Hood Seafurl 2. If there's a turnbuckle I need new glasses, but thanks for your interest.

Nope, your glasses are fine....that’s one of the few without adjustment.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 13:01   #13

Quote:
What boat is so similar to a Morgan Out Island 33? Your post does not say.
I should have said similar rig, sorry. IW-31. Also keel stepped mast, four lower and two upper shrouds, straight spreaders, ...